03:22 PM on 02/28/11
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
Good stuff.
03:44 PM on 02/28/11
mms13
User Info.
What about co-songwriting? Do I only like the collaboration and not the individual parts? It just comes off as douchey thing to say lol. And I say this as a massive Bayside fan who has loved them since '04.
I mean you don't need to look that deep into it. I don't. I'm not even sure if Anthony does, but his words do have some truth don't you think?
04:09 PM on 02/28/11
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Not all mustaches are ironic. Mine isn't, at least. I genuinely think I look better with it than without it, haha.

I completely understand what he's trying to say because I come into this exact some contradicting idea. He just doesn't want to say it and I believe you put it nicely. I'm not going to, modern pop is basically fake. I like songs for lyrics. So if someone else writes and does a good job I'll enjoy the song; however most of the time they just get an "attractive" singer "singing" songs about meaningless ideas or such ambitious points that its pointless.
So to go from something deep such as bad religion or bayside and say you like bieber just as much is a bit ridiculous. Chances are you like him for his appearance not his pubescent voice.
Anthony's point is completely legit just most people don't want to believe it. They are different kinds of music.. real and fake.
This is why I love Bayside. Their lyrics ACTUALLY mean something.
Except you're basing what "good music" is on what you like in music. You're devaluing the musicality and the performance.

Pop music isn't fake. You may not like it, but it is a genuine form of art. Saying "the singer didn't write this song, so it's not honest" is plain stupid. The songwriter could have been completely honest when he wrote the song. Also, there are many bands who's singers do not write the lyrics; does this mean they are not "honest?"
04:19 PM on 02/28/11
Peetie
I want to forget about yesterday
User Info.
A+ interview -- one of my favorite albums.
07:03 PM on 02/28/11
Geech
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It seems like even the people who get it don't really get it. He's seperating the music and the scene. Punk from pop. As a songwriter, he appreciates the song itself, how it was crafted, and how it progresses. Music is universal, but each scene is compartmentalized. As a publisher, you try to sell songs to the highest bidder, or you get paid to write a song for an artist. And you have to keep that artist in mind when you're writing the song. It's easy to respect the song, but not the artist. The argument is redundant, but Anthony hit it on the nose. It just isn't easy to interpret it that way.
07:42 PM on 02/28/11
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
good interview
06:07 AM on 03/01/11
derekrvr
is a koala bear
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree. I'm not sure how you can decide what people should and shouldnt like. Especially since he already mentions listening to Miley Cyrus and punk music lol
I think, at least for me, it's that people can listen to different things. I agree with what he said about music being music, but I think people should dislike a group for more reasons than their genre, if that makes any sense. It annoys me when people are like "X band really sucks because they play this." For example, I'm not a huge fan of bands like arcade fire, but I can appreciate the suburbs.
07:31 AM on 03/01/11
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
I think, at least for me, it's that people can listen to different things. I agree with what he said about music being music, but I think people should dislike a group for more reasons than their genre, if that makes any sense. It annoys me when people are like "X band really sucks because they play this." For example, I'm not a huge fan of bands like arcade fire, but I can appreciate the suburbs.
OF course people can listen to different things, I just don't see how artist and image comes into play when deciding you like an artist. I'm a huge fan of Bayside and Every Time I Die, but I like them for very different reasons. Does that devalue my appreciation for them?
10:28 AM on 03/01/11
Mikey Paine
AP.net's registered Fullonrapist
User Info.
Awesome interview. Still disappointed I missed the "Where's The Band Tour?"
02:49 PM on 03/01/11
irememberhallow
User Info.
This interview was bad ass. Very well put and straight from the heart. Anthony knows what he's doing.
05:08 PM on 03/01/11
bsheriff11
User Info.
What Anthony is trying to express is strictly his own opinion and is not intended for everyone to agree with it. But, I completely agree with what he is trying to convey. The major reason, is that the punk scene over the past few years has been diluted with bands like "Blood on the Dance Floor" who have this merger between "pop" and "alternative/punk/rock". Mainly, because people want both sides to win and don't completely commit to one side. So, Anthony saying that they are conflicting and you can't like both is mostly due to the disruption of the scene he has been in for the past 20 years, and the result is to recreate a new underground. Ah, the circle of life.
06:21 AM on 03/02/11
derekrvr
is a koala bear
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
OF course people can listen to different things, I just don't see how artist and image comes into play when deciding you like an artist. I'm a huge fan of Bayside and Every Time I Die, but I like them for very different reasons. Does that devalue my appreciation for them?
I don't see your question. I think I agree with you. Really, what it comes down to, is that people like what they like, and I don't think there has to be a rhyme or reason for it. If you like it, more power to you.
10:20 AM on 03/06/11
chis08
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love this interview! Killing Time is such a good album, can't wait to see them live!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests