AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Patrick Stump - Truant Wave Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%

Patrick Stump - Truant Wave

Reviewed by: ChrisCanberg (02/25/11)
Patrick Stump - Truant Wave
Record Label: Island
Release Date: February 22, 2011

It's time to learn some self control. It’s especially hard being that Patrick Stump is my favorite musician who also once fronted my favorite band. When getting encouraged for your listen of Truant Wave, its highly recommended that you do your research. Read/watch interviews, watch the Rolling Stone acoustic performance, and most importantly, do NOT expect a solo Fall Out Boy act.

This is Patrick Stump as he is deep down, like it or leave it.

Being only six songs (also the ones felt not suitable for his full length Soul Punk due this summer), he has limited space to debut his roots, and therefore must make the most of it. The opening track “Porcelain” immediately brings the wave of funk with the proper mixing sound of pop he is trying to capture, layered with a synth sound straight out of a mid-90's video game. All followed by “Spotlight”, the song first debuted. While very catchy, it is easily the weakest of the six, yet if there’s anything these two songs should foreshadow for the four that follow, it’s that you’re always in for an unexpected surprise. Impeccable instrumentation, outstanding vocals and constant creativity makes it hard to believe that (unless noted otherwise) Stump is responsible for all writing, recording and production.

Speaking of production, that could be the one thing Stump needs to watch out for. There are times in certain songs where there is simply too much going on. “Cute Girls”, the only song co-written on the EP, can get a little nuts with its drum samples and sporadic key changes. However, a determined listener can power through it and will actually find a really catchy song with some impressive vocals and a welcome influence by Prince in the pre-chorus.

And while it has been a good ride so far through Patrick Stump’s musical freedom, the best has yet to show itself.

The second half of the EP is where Stump truly shines. These next three songs are standout tracks that hopefully will stay established in his discography like first place trophies. “Love, Selfish Love” is relentlessly catchy and harmonious at just the right places. The song is not too layered with enough going on to keep a great lighthearted flow with the surprisingly snarky lyrics: “This is me confessing/God bless, the sad and selfish/Stay helpless.”

The following song is where Stump’s solo material makes its first full circle. “As Long As I Know I’m Getting Paid” was the song recorded for his solo announcement in the form of a multi-screen video. We finally get to hear the finished product and it is the highest point on the entire EP. The lackluster lyrics are forgiven by it having the best instrumentation of the six songs. It's a funky, high energy track that sets the dancing soul on fire. Stump’s immense talent truly sparkles on this track, and it proves that not only does he have outstanding range, but the mark of a true songwriter. If this and these other five songs were not good enough to make Soul Punk, I can’t even imagine what the future holds.

It all comes to an end with the grand-scaled ballad(ish) “Big Hype”, a song with pounding drums and the first sight of strings, with lyrics that are strangely convenient and relevant toward this entire review. “Big hype, big letdown.” There’s no question that Stump’s future musical career has many longtime Fall Out Boy fans excited. I am personally afraid for that same fact. This is very good music that might not get the recognition it deserves because it is not what people are expecting. FromTruant Wave, you should take away not what Fall Out Boy has become, rather, try to see how Stump’s taste contributed to Fall Out Boy’s sound.

But that’s enough of the comparisons. This is not Fall Out Boy. This is Patrick Vaughn Stump. Fall Out Boy fans welcome, but not guaranteed.

Recommended If You LikePatrick Stump in general, MJ-style vocals, funk, R&B...this is a difficult list to make

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
11:34 PM on 03/06/11
sublime_theory
User Info.
Blew my mind...
I am not a FOB fan. I def respect what they have done within the genre but I never really got into any of their releases since Take This To Your Grave.
That being said, I gave this album a listen out of curiosity and I am def impressed.
Good review, unfortunate that it has not received the buzz deserved
01:24 AM on 03/07/11
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
i'll be sure to check this out, not sure if i'll like it though
05:11 AM on 03/10/11
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
Good RIYL.
Options