Password

Album Review

Wolves At The Gate - We Are The Ones Album Cover

Wolves At The Gate - We Are The Ones

Reviewed by
Wolves At The GateWe Are The Ones
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 31, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
A Christian metalcore band, Wolves At The Gate could easily fit alongside bands on Solid State, such as Oh, Sleeper and Underoath. Likewise, the clean vocals of Steve Cobucci channel Tooth & Nail’s Sent By Ravens. WATG combine deafening screams with soaring vocals on their debut Christ-oriented EP, We Are The Ones.

The opening “We Are The Ones” is a proclamation of their beliefs before leading into the destructive “Vapors.” Driven by chaotic screams and shredding guitars, “Vapors” exemplifies the sound of WATG. Cobucci’s clean vocals propel the religious anthem “Heralds,” and Colin Jones’ blistering screams, backed by Jeremy Steckel’s extraordinary guitar play, front the dominating “Tonight My Son.” The track is as heavy as it gets, and arguably the best track on the EP.

A rock number, “No Rival” is as radio friendly as it gets on We Are The Ones. However, the inclusions of Jones’ terrifying scream add depth to the cut. Saving the best for last, the ambient “On The Depths” closes the EP. Featuring This Love’s Joe McFaddin, “On The Depths” is the pinnacle of the EP. Soaring vocals, guttural screams, shredding guitars, and pounding drumming, the track is the magnum opus of this EP. McFaddin’s inclusion adds depth the track, before the fury of Jones ends the track, feverishly. As the track closes, it practically forces the listener to press repeat, immediately, proving the power of Wolves At The Gate.

For just a freshman EP, We Are The Ones could put Wolves At The Gate on the map of all Christian metal fans, right along side Underoath, As I Lay Dying, and other similar acts. These guys could fit on Solid State, wonderfully. Soon enough, the Wolves could be near the top of the pack.

Recommended If You LikeSolid State sounding bands; Sent By Ravens

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. We Are The Ones
2. Vapors
3. Heralds
4. Tonight My Son
5. No Rival
6. On The Depths (feat. This Love’s Joe McFaddin)

Wolves At The Gate are:
Steve Cobucci – Clean Vocals, Guitar
Colin Jones – Screams
Jeremy Steckel – Guitar
Ben Summers – Bass

Purevolume

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
06:44 PM on 03/06/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Add some experimental elements and I'll be into this.

I'll check it out, but it's a another metalcore band, low expectations...
Great review though Ryan
09:35 PM on 03/06/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
I enjoy As I Lay Dying and Underoath, but this band's just a little too... preachy? I don't know. That's just the feeling I got. And the high screams need some work.
01:04 AM on 03/07/11
EliteCombine
What's the happy-hap?
User Info.
Sounds like I expected, metalcore-by-numbers.
What's with all these bands being compared to As I Lay Dying and Underoath?
I think those two bands have transcended this sound at least 2 albums ago, are they compared just because their Christian? Because last time I check faith didn't equal musical similarity.
01:40 AM on 03/07/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Heralds is such a beast of a track.
04:10 AM on 03/07/11
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
Heralds is such a beast of a track.
Truth.

One of the few new scene bands I'm liking the sound of. Nice to hear music not smothered in synth and cheesy breakdowns. They've definitely got potential.
05:38 AM on 03/07/11
dookiedog
You're Effin Out!
User Info.
This band is getting tons of buzz! I don't expect them to be unsigned much longer, great review!
05:50 AM on 03/07/11
deselgroth
User Info.
solid EP. solid review. i'm ready to hear more!
07:53 AM on 03/07/11
Spencer Control
So it goes.
User Info.
This band is getting tons of buzz! I don't expect them to be unsigned much longer, great review!
This.
09:33 AM on 03/07/11
7devin7running7
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm highly impressed, I know if these men ever come to Seattle I got their music front. WATG are definitely going places. They hit the metalcore scene running. It sickens me they are compared to AILD and Underoath, is that cause their cause is christ? Watch their new video Heralds!!! These boys are hot. Hope to see them drop it hard soon on the Seattle area.
09:47 AM on 03/07/11
cubs223425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love the EP, though, "Heralds," was a little weird. The screams actually felt like they didn't belong in that song, but the album as a whole is very nice, and the song is good.
09:49 AM on 03/07/11
cubs223425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And I don't think they're really being compared to UO or AILD. They're just being spoken of as someone that could fit in next to them. They would definitely be solid opener for either band, but I agree that their sound doesn't really reflect the sound of the other two.
09:56 PM on 03/07/11
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
This band is an extremely, extremely premature Underoath, but I dig this EP
01:29 PM on 03/09/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
sounds like Our Last Night
04:11 PM on 03/12/11
mcflyubozo
User Info.
does anyone else think that their clean singer sounds a LOT like dallas green of alexisonfire?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos