Password

Album Review

The Color Morale - My Devil In Your Eyes Album Cover

The Color Morale - My Devil In Your Eyes

Reviewed by
The Color MoraleMy Devil In Your Eyes
Release Date: March 8, 2011
Record Label: Rise
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s been about a year since The Color Morale released their debut album, We All Have Demons, and they’re already back with their second full length, My Devil In Your Eyes. So it’d be natural to think that this album would be full of second-rate or hastily put together follow-up tracks. But that thought should be immediately discarded once you hear the 10 new tracks from the Rockford, Illinois, quintet. Determined not to become a flash-in-the-pan in the metalcore scene, the band improved on all their skills immensely.

My Devil In Your Eyes is relentless throughout, starting from the opening licks of “Nerve Endings” to the closing eeriness of “fill;avoid.” In between is a band that has found their groove. The Color Morale doesn't offer anything new within this genre; they just do it very well. On their second go-around, the production is a lot cleaner and the transitions move a lot smoother. A prime example is “Human(s)being,” which shows off the improved musicianship from each member, specifically drummer Steve Carey and vocalist Garret Rapp. Carey absolutely possesses the kit on this track and beyond, while Rapp delivers one of the better performances you'll hear in the genre during 2011. Rapp seamlessly transitions between clean and rough vocals, delivering poignant lines like, “I am not afraid to die/I am terrified of life.”

And let's not forget guitarists Ramon Mendoza and John Bross. They effortlessly combine chugging riffs with Rapp's gruff vocals on “The Dying Hymn,” while show off their technical chops in the pulverizing “Be Longing Always.” Another thing that stands out is that The Color Morale doesn't stay stagnant in one style for too long. They show off their melodic side with “Walkers,” then immediately channel The Chariot on the frantic “Demon Teeth.”

The Color Morale has made considerable strides since their debut album, thus placing themselves above the crowded middle of metalcore. From Rapp's distinct and remarkable vocal performance (seriously, “Quote on Quote” is incredible stuff) to the rise of the band's musicanship (think the technicality of recent Underoath albums combined with the chaos of Parkway Drive), The Color Morale is poised to break out in 2011.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 85
11:11 PM on 03/12/11
iamtaylorrr
it's just not quite the season
User Info.
I really really enjoyed this CD after not liking the first one very much.
01:46 AM on 03/13/11
cubs223425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I thought the album was fantastic. It's the best thing I've heard from anyone heavy in quite some time, including TDWP, UO, and HtD.

The reasoning I think this is better? There isn't a single track I dislike one bit. On Disambiguation, which you rated a 94%, there aren't any songs that stand out as fantastic. To be honest, the life almost feels sucked out of the music on some of the songs. The cleans of Spencer felt forced, yet weak. Here, Rapp just belts out great melodies with solid screaming, while almost seamlessly transitioning between the two (granted, this is Spencer's first go at it full-time on the full duty of vocals in UO).

I agree with what you've said in the review, but I definitely don't think that the rating matches the talent of the band, the quality of the album, or the description used in the review. I'd agree with that 97.5% Reviewer Tilt rating for the album, but not an 81%.

TCM's debut lasted me for a long time before getting a little stale (because it lacked a lot of great tracks...some are good, but not a song I crave to hear ever), but this is such a meaty album that I could play it non-stop for a month and still be in love with what's been provided by these talented young men.
05:12 AM on 03/13/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Enjoy this album a lot more than I initially thought I would prior to listening
05:18 AM on 03/13/11
Alex Gaspar
I'll get by
User Info.
not from Chicago, by the way. ROCKFORD, IL
09:18 AM on 03/13/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
gave this a listen the other day. I enjoy the musicianship, but not really the singer or screamer.
11:15 AM on 03/13/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
I really enjoy this album. Damn it though, second time in a row a staff member reviews an album I do. This isn't good for my "image". Haha.
11:18 AM on 03/13/11
Kid Amnesiac
User Info.
I wish you would have gone more in depth with the songs and explain their lyrical base. Good review overall. I like that you clearly do your research on the band members before hand. Thanks for the review, Drew.
11:26 AM on 03/13/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I wish you would have gone more in depth with the songs and explain their lyrical base. Good review overall. I like that you clearly do your research on the band members before hand. Thanks for the review, Drew.
thanks. I usually don't go into much depth with the lyrics because I feel like I'll be putting my own interpretation of them into my review, when they are lyrics that should be interpreted by listeners on their own.
01:32 PM on 03/13/11
zipzipzipper
User Info.
just can't get into the screams
01:51 PM on 03/13/11
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
gave this a listen the other day. I enjoy the musicianship, but not really the singer or screamer.
Really?
The screams I can understand, but the clean vocals are some of the best in the scene IMO.
06:53 PM on 03/13/11
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
This is a truly amazing album. Everything of about it is a notch above the Sturgis ridden genre (definitely his best work).
09:01 PM on 03/13/11
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
was i the only one who loved their first full length? i could just tell from that album that they'd do great things and this album does not disappoint. great stuff. just wished that they made a few more songs like "this lost song is yours", songs that are not as ferocious, but melodically great and backed with great vocals. the guy has pipes.
09:10 PM on 03/13/11
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
was i the only one who loved their first full length? i could just tell from that album that they'd do great things and this album does not disappoint. great stuff. just wished that they made a few more songs like "this lost song is yours", songs that are not as ferocious, but melodically great and backed with great vocals. the guy has pipes.
i was in love with the first album

this blows it away tho man
09:44 PM on 03/13/11
IdiotFlight
User Info.
i was in love with the first album

this blows it away tho man
I honestly love both albums. The first took my by such shock of how much I enjoyed it. Initially I was pretty disappointed with this album, but I enjoyed it. I was expecting songs in vein of Manumission and Resource: Recourse, but once I reminded myself that they can't repeat themselves I started truly enjoying it. Their latest, like Drew said, just shows how much improvement they've made in about a year. I hope these garner more respect with this album. Absolutely amazing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos