AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Friday Discussion: SXSW 2011 and The Future of the Scene

Posted by - 11:11 AM on 03/25/11
This year's SXSW was quite an experience for me. Through that experience, I had some of the best conversations with bands, managers, label owners and fans alike about where things are heading. Head here to read my thoughts on the whole week and where I see the music scene shifting in the next few years. In the words of Chris Conley, "This is what it is." Hit the replies and let's talk about it.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
11:37 AM on 03/25/11
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
User Info.
Soooo many people at SXSW this year. I don't think I can handle it if it gets too much bigger.
11:42 AM on 03/25/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The girls in Now, Now are too cute. Swoooooooooooon.
12:12 PM on 03/25/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I definitely felt that connection. Whether it was Wednesday with the Topshelf showcase, then the next day at Plush and Saturday with No Sleep, these bands were like a unit and it was awesome to see.

Although I don't consider Trash Talk part of this at all, it was hilarious seeing the lead singer crowd surf to Touche on Thursday at Plush. Just more of that community, which is awesome to experience.
hmm...I could see Trash Talk a part of this...but yeah, there's a definite connection happening and it's great!
12:31 PM on 03/25/11
COREhorizon
Scrote Season
User Info.
It would be really awesome to go to SXSW, or any big music festival to understand the scene more. Listening to the new Title Fight and other albums, I feel like we're getting close to a new wave of better music.
12:31 PM on 03/25/11
topshelfsquad
User Info.
<3! Great read, dude. Exciting times for sure.
12:34 PM on 03/25/11
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
Great article. I completely agree with everything. Even in my local scene I have noticed this happening. While Fireworks is a huge touring band now, every time they have played a small local show, they bring out Weekend Nachos from Chicago. A band that is at the complete opposite of the genre spectrum, but the guys in the bands are such great friends and just love playing shows together.

I can honestly say that I look forward to watching the music scene continue to evolve over the next few years.

Also, Bridge 9 <3
01:04 PM on 03/25/11
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
that was a good write up. i enjoyed reading your optimism aha
01:27 PM on 03/25/11
Jim FTS
JimFFTS
User Info.
Great article
01:52 PM on 03/25/11
sargenthouse
User Info.
and next year Adam you will have to come to the Festival we are starting for the People. not the corporations. SXSW has jumped the shark....
01:54 PM on 03/25/11
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
SxSw just is not relevant anymore. The only people that claim it to be relevant are those who go each year, the advertisers that shell out money to sponsor parties and the bands who play it every year.

In the digital age, no one really gets "discovered" there anymore as the big hyped acts are already hyped well before they arrive there. And, the real reason everyone was pissed about that "Friday" video (I haven't even seen it) was probably because it got more attention than any "buzz" band there.

I like new music, I love checking out new bands but this industry circle-jerk and CMJ need to end. It just isn't efficient anymore (at least from a financial standpoint). If people want to go to Austin each year at a certain time, party and see live music, that's fine. But let's not pretend it's anymore than that: a big party and nothing really that culturally relevant anymore.
02:05 PM on 03/25/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
SxSw just is not relevant anymore. The only people that claim it to be relevant are those who go each year, the advertisers that shell out money to sponsor parties and the bands who play it every year.

In the digital age, no one really gets "discovered" there anymore as the big hyped acts are already hyped well before they arrive there. And, the real reason everyone was pissed about that "Friday" video (I haven't even seen it) was probably because it got more attention than any "buzz" band there.

I like new music, I love checking out new bands but this industry circle-jerk and CMJ need to end. It just isn't efficient anymore (at least from a financial standpoint). If people want to go to Austin each year at a certain time, party and see live music, that's fine. But let's not pretend it's anymore than that: a big party and nothing really that culturally relevant anymore.
your point is well made sir....while I wrote a tangent about exactly what you said (and you said it way better) I thought it may have skipped over the more important part about there being a resurgence of what was happening when I was 16-17 years old.

the whole "Friday" thing actually started because of Evan (Into It. Over It.) who was staying with me for the week. He introduced me to the atrocity and we talked about it all weekend. Like "No matter how good music can get, there's always going to be THIS that people are pumping money into and will do somewhat good." the great thing that has come about THAT song though, is that I think it's way more of a joke now than that corporation could have imagined it.
02:16 PM on 03/25/11
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
your point is well made sir....while I wrote a tangent about exactly what you said (and you said it way better) I thought it may have skipped over the more important part about there being a resurgence of what was happening when I was 16-17 years old.

the whole "Friday" thing actually started because of Evan (Into It. Over It.) who was staying with me for the week. He introduced me to the atrocity and we talked about it all weekend. Like "No matter how good music can get, there's always going to be THIS that people are pumping money into and will do somewhat good." the great thing that has come about THAT song though, is that I think it's way more of a joke now than that corporation could have imagined it.
Another good thing about the way things work these days it, for stuff like "Friday", it takes a lot more money/push/marketing whatever to get maybe a fraction of the attention that big pop songs used to get. Basically, you can pretty much tune out anything you aren't really interested in these days.

I couldn't hum you one Kesha song, not because I think I'm too cool, because I LITERALLY don't know one well enough. I can completely avoid it since I choose to and that's what I think is awesome about the way things work now. There's really no more mass audience.
02:16 PM on 03/25/11
Neal LHS
www.WeAreScarlett.net
User Info.
I may not post a lot on ap, but I observe this community almost daily and really agree with your article, Adam. This shift NEEDS to happen in the scene for the sanity of a lot of people who post regularly here, and even people like me who come to watch these discussions unfold.

I'm excited to see if the "dam will burst" like you mentioned, because for me it's much more exciting to see positive discussions on these artists rather than the bashing of artists that don't deserve to be newsworthy anyway.
02:23 PM on 03/25/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
and next year Adam you will have to come to the Festival we are starting for the People. not the corporations. SXSW has jumped the shark....
This. All I've heard about SXSW is that it's more corporate than anything else. Of course you still have the awesome bands but the business-y aspect takes away from it. I've heard it described as the "McDonalds" of The Fest. Still would love to attend one year.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos