Password

Album Review
Why? - Alopecia Album Cover

Why? - Alopecia

Reviewed by
Why?Alopecia
Record Label: Anticon Records
Release Date: March 11, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Listening to a Why? album for the first time is a lot like having your hands and legs duct taped together, while blindfolded, and then being driven around in the trunk of a car with odd noises blasting through the speakers. When the car finally stops you’re scared shitless and exhilarated. Much like the sticky residue left from duct tape on hairy arms (trust me, it’s a bitch to get off), Why? will not go away easily. Yoni Wolf’s flow might irk some due to its fairly languid delivery, but his lyrics continually smash all preconceived notions about what is necessary for a song to “make sense” or “tell a story.” Although Why? started off as Wolf’s solo thingamajig (see: Oaklandazulasylum), Alopecia makes wonderful use of all the band’s talented musicians (namely, Josiah Wolf's mindbending beats). Wolf’s zaniness shines through on each note, but the power of collaboration has done wonders for his sound brainchild.

“The Vowels Pt.2” begins the album with heavy bass and the lines: “I’m not a ladies man / I’m a landmine / Filming my own fake death.” I’m not sure if eloquence is the right word for what goes on throughout Alopecia, but hearing those words spat out sounds wonderful and truly genius. Slight beatboxing highlights the tambourines and piano bits, making it quite clear early; this is in every way a mash-up record. “These Few Presidents” features the best (and possibly most profound) chorus Why? has ever concocted. A carnival-esque keyboard (a recurring theme throughout Alopecia) transitions into the dark, downtrodden lines of, “These few presidents / Drowning in my pocket / Can persuade no God / To let me let you off / Even though I haven’t seen you in years / Yours is a funeral I’d fly to from anywhere.” Your headphones will resonate with profoundness and bass.

There’s a moment during each Why? album when everything clicks. It can take months or mere minutes (“Crushed Bones” had me buzzing by the chorus!) to find, but I found my lightbulb at one of the strangest points of Alopecia. “The Hollows” continues the slightly sinister vibe of “These Few Presidents,” but it is decidedly more rock-oriented (there is even a raw guitar solo halfway through). The song features magnificent buildups of bass drum and piano. After one of these crescendos, Wolf slurs, “In Berlin / I saw two men / Fuck in a dark corner of a basketball court / Just a slight jingle of pocket change pulsing.” Yeah, it’s a bit gross and definitely dirty. But I'd be lying if I said I haven't imagined the scene. That’s Wolf’s true power. As strange as Why? can be, we are always given free reign to walk around inside his mind. However, much like one of those 3-D puzzles, only some will be able to see what’s truly hidden. Pray you’re one of the lucky.

Whoa, I spent a lot of space talking about those three songs. Allow some abridged notes on other notable tracks: “Gnashville” uses overpowering drum fills and a repeating, rigid guitar riff to create a playground for lines like, “That’s what the ghost of someone’s dad might say.” “The Fall of Mr. Fifths” is fairly simple compared to the rest of Alopecia. The song is almost all drumbeats, which places the focus right on Wolf’s unusually quick delivery. Think of it as an homage to earlier sounds, but enhanced with the new car-smell of evolution. “By Torpedo Or Crohn’s” has an ironic, happy-go-lucky chorus of “Da Da Da’s” and descending violin notes. While simple in its beat, “Torpedo” weaves self-reflective lyrics into a complicated portrait of Wolf. (“If I’m not raw / I’m just a bit underdone.”) This guy needs to write a book.

Ok, I went over my word quota just a tad. I’ll risk you not reading all of this because it would be a disservice to rush through Alopecia. There’s just too much happening. Few artists get as personal as Wolf. Nobody observes like him. With each listen I notice a new line, a new intricacy, a new inner meaning. For me, that’s what it’s all about.

Recommended If You Like: Subtle, cLOUDDEAD, smashapple crevaces, 13 & God, vilified deviencia

Hide behind a mustachewww.myspace.com/whyanticon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
01:48 PM on 02/24/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
the whole album is streaming on their myspace. Give it a listen.
02:05 PM on 02/24/08
Jumpoff
Jews for Cheeses
User Info.
Starting to listen now, and it actually sounds pretty good to me. Was expecting to hate it because of the monotone voice you mentioned.
02:13 PM on 02/24/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i think monotone isn't the right word. Maybe lackadaisical, but that's such a long word.

edit: LANGUID
02:35 PM on 02/24/08
Jumpoff
Jews for Cheeses
User Info.
Good word. And I agree.
04:34 PM on 02/24/08
sofriggencool
so friggen cool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
alright cool. Im listening to their myspace now.. really interesting. I like it.
05:29 PM on 02/24/08
Parocks
User Info.
wow, this guy is pure genius.

loving it so far, thanks
07:54 AM on 02/25/08
grizbo
Here's my card.
User Info.
Interesting...
08:54 AM on 02/25/08
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
great album. i wish he wouldr rap more! haha
09:49 AM on 02/25/08
JoeShow
It's time for drastic measures
User Info.
Such a good album, Hollows is probably the best song i have heard in a long time.

if you like this guy i would suggest checking out astronautalis - its similar style of music
10:38 AM on 02/25/08
thetimmyk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So fucking good I was obsessed with this album like 2 weeks ago
10:51 AM on 02/25/08
idledoeskill
Saint Barbara, don't let me explode
User Info.
I've only listened to this a few times and I wasn't really that impressed. Elephant Eye Lash is much better IMO. And check out the song "The Teeth Behind Kisses" for some of Why?'s best material.
11:14 AM on 02/25/08
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.
This shit is great. Everything from anticon is genius.
11:35 AM on 02/25/08
Neptune
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I totally forgot he was coming out with a new album. Thanks for the reminder.
12:09 PM on 02/25/08
bad sects
regrets are worthless
User Info.
I love this album so fucking much. It definitely was not a let down.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos