Username
Password

Album Review - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 169.
11:45 AM on 05/08/11
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
Saw these guys last night in Rochester. Off of the new album they played Virgin (the opener), Deer, Pensacola, Simple Math and April Fool. They all sounded really great, the show as a whole was really full and loud and raw. Best show I've been to in a really long time. So happy I snagged front row :D
05:32 PM on 05/10/11
rushour144
User Info.
First perfect album since ACB's "Come Now Sleep." Simple Math totally caught me by surprise!
07:01 AM on 05/11/11
pete70x7
Natty.
User Info.
Finally some good music
07:15 AM on 05/11/11
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
First perfect album since ACB's "Come Now Sleep." Simple Math totally caught me by surprise!
This is massive praise. I can't wait to hear it.
07:59 PM on 05/11/11
rushour144
User Info.
This is massive praise. I can't wait to hear it.
Yea man, it is freaking incredible!
08:26 PM on 05/11/11
JoshSalas
User Info.
I think perfect is a stretch.
04:34 PM on 05/13/11
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
You know, I may be thinking of another band now that I think of it. I feel like there was a band that started with "M" that was getting all this rave attention but I think the singer was bearded and they played more indie-ish music.

Well, if Snake Cross Crown wasn't the band you were referring to, then definitely check them out!
05:09 PM on 05/16/11
AnotherMileston
Yeah? Yeah.
User Info.
I wanted to like this album so much but it just seemed almost too thought out. This was the first album I've listened to of theirs and felt like they were reallllyyyy trying to make music. And honestly I think it has a lot to do with the change in drummers. Some tracks were great for drums but some felt very disconnected. I hope it grows on me but I am just not enjoying it. It's hard not to compare it so heavily to Virgin or METN. Their first album was so hauntingly quiet and raw. It rocked at points but i felt like I could always feel it in my bones. METN was such a good loud rock album. It was still lyrically heart stopping but 10 times more intense and distorted. I loved how loud it was. SM is kinda in the middle, I think it went more for an artistic approach and, to me, it felt forced. Lyrics were still top notch and some songs were really incredible but some I was just like "I don't understand why this noise goes with these words". Hard to explain. They always had a musical depth to go with their lyrics and I think this album lacked that in some songs.
04:32 PM on 05/18/11
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Finally given this enough time to comment.
Simple Math is not a first listen album, you're right. Everything clicked on my third and it has continued to ascend in my view ever since. After the title track the record seems to peter out rather than explode like METN did, but the stretch of songs is still stronger than the end of METN, apart from The River.
I do feel their albums are a little top loaded but still can't stop myself listening all the way through.
08:17 PM on 05/18/11
nolifesingedher
Registered Member
User Info.
I love this record more and more with each listen. Its definately a grower. Pensacola and Virgin stuck out immediately as early favorites but some of the other songs take longer. It rewards repeat listens for sure. I see it becoming one of my favorite albums of the year. Just amazing.
12:00 AM on 05/25/11
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Now I've heard it I definitely don't agree with this comparison... or that it's a 'perfect' album.
07:04 AM on 05/25/11
rushour144
User Info.
Now I've heard it I definitely don't agree with this comparison... or that it's a 'perfect' album.
Fair enough... for the record it was not a comparison; I was saying that in my honest opinion, there has not been a perfect album since Come Now Sleep.
10:54 AM on 05/25/11
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Fair enough... for the record it was not a comparison; I was saying that in my honest opinion, there has not been a perfect album since Come Now Sleep.
Ohhh... fair. It's not perfect in my opinion but I can respect yours!
11:38 AM on 05/25/11
rushour144
User Info.
Ohhh... fair. It's not perfect in my opinion but I can respect yours!
Yea, "perfect" may be going a little too far upon another listen haha... but definitely a 9.5/10!
07:16 AM on 05/27/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
thanks man. I've probably rewritten this thing about five times over the last week. I totally agree with the above statement. that's what pissed me off about the p4k review of METN.

Pitchfork posted their review today if you're interested. As we thought, they dont praise the album as we do, but I think their assessment is fair. Plus, it's written my Ian - one their better, balanced writers.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests