Pretty sure.
01:04 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
I honestly don't know any of the scores I give to my reviews unless someone brings it up. I remember liking TFM more than what a 66 represents I guess, another reason why I dislike the current scoring system.
01:19 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
Bridgewater, MA
Male - 29 Years Old
Wow, I was a little worried but the album is fantastic. There's a couple tracks I'm not a fan of ("Americano" is awful) just like TF//TFM but overall, a damn great album.

"Electric Chapel", "Heavy Metal Lover", "Bad Kids", and "Scheiße" are amazing.

As of now, I do like the TF/TFM combo more but that's a pretty high bar to reach. I do feel like this album takes a little longer to digest though.
01:21 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
this sputnik review of the new Gaga is spot on: http://sputnikmusic.com/review/43507...Born-This-Way/
quoteThat EP was such a stratospheric rise in quality (not to mention subject matter) that it was almost unbelievable. It was comprised of eight of the best pop songs ever, and I can say that with a completely straight face. But that's not what makes the EP so interesting. It's the fact that she was suddenly the go-to role model for disillusioned youth, for abused people, for homosexuals, and what makes the EP so good is that she didn't try to be that. She wrote a song about her relationship with her father, a song about a girl who's nervous about having sex with the lights on, a song about masturbation. It wasn't a bunch of songs about being yourself, about standing up to oppression, or about not caring what people think, not really. You can find those themes if you're looking, but they weren't thrown in your face.

this is where BTW ultimately fails.
01:24 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Lueda Alia
Toronto
Female - 27 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm waiting for Pitchfork to review it (if they even will), because I'm pretty sure that will influence people's opinions to the max.

Wow, I was a little worried but the album is fantastic. There's a couple tracks I'm not a fan of ("Americano" is awful) just like TF//TFM but overall, a damn great album.

"Electric Chapel", "Heavy Metal Lover", "Bad Kids", and "Scheiße" are amazing.

As of now, I do like the TF/TFM combo more but that's a pretty high bar to reach. I do feel like this album takes a little longer to digest though.
I'm pretty excited to hear that.

I haven't been in the mood to listen to music in the past few days because I've been watching movies, but I'm thinking later today or tomorrow, I'll actually listen to this album.
01:26 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm waiting for Pitchfork to review it (if they even will), because I'm pretty sure that will influence people's opinions to the max.

I'm pretty excited to hear that.

I haven't been in the mood to listen to music in the past few days because I've been watching movies, but I'm thinking later today or tomorrow, I'll actually listen to this album.
has P4K reviewed previous albums of hers? I'm sure they will because it's one of the biggest releases of 2011 and she is more than your typical pop star. They reviewed Nicki Minaj and Rihanna last year so I'm sure they'll review this. (I got my advance last night, typical after it leaks of course haha)
01:28 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Eight30Ninety
Orlando, FL
Female - 24 Years Old
Man, judging from this thread/the songs I've heard, I'm nervous. Not interested enough to find a leak but I'll still buy it Tuesday. Which probably doesn't make much sense, haha.
01:28 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
Lueda Alia
Toronto
Female - 27 Years Old
Staff Member
has P4K reviewed previous albums of hers? I'm sure they will because it's one of the biggest releases of 2011 and she is more than your typical pop star. They reviewed Nicki Minaj and Rihanna last year so I'm sure they'll review this. (I got my advance last night, typical after it leaks of course haha)
I have no idea, but I know they love her, so I'm curious to see how they review this -- if they do at all, that is.
04:03 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
Speaking for myself, I think the issue is that for all she talks about being open and accepting she gives very few hints of who she is and how she feels on a more personal level. In this sense the hair and the glitzy music are easy things for people to latch onto as evidence of her desire to remain 'hidden.' Everyone knows that she has a good voice so it can be disappointing to listen to an album like this that fails to be a classic pop album while also failing to give a large portion of this website what it wants, which I'd argue is an album that focuses more on her vocal talent and trades the glitz for more introspection. In essence, I don't get the great pop album from her that I know she can make and I don't get the indie rock album that I wish she would make.
You definitely are speaking for yourself there. Maybe as someone who doesn't really follow her, one wouldn't know anything about her or who she is or what she is about on a personal level. I don't feel that way, I really do feel like if I sat down with her I would know the person I'm sitting with instead of this enigma that most random people would feel like they are. She always says "stop asking me what I am under makeup, the person I give you is who the fuck I am" meaning it's JUST makeup and hair and clothes. It doesn't change her personality, and if you watch her in interviews within the last year or so, she's opened up so much and really just is herself. She cracks jokes, talks about her friends, talks about backstage antics and how her day went.Again, maybe if you're not someone who follows her then yeah all you see are costumes, but if you actually give her a chance you'll see her personality very easily.

The song slated for third single is absolutely garbage like most of this album. Government Hooker, really? SUCKS
Edge of Glory is supposed to be the third single
04:04 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
Fashion Of His Love is my most disliked, it's not really inspired by late-eighties Whitney Houston but legitimately sounds like a cover.
04:12 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
stevenisfading
stronger
Texas
Male
Edge of Glory is supposed to be the third single
Correct. It is.
Laurieann Gibson, one of GaGa's collaborator, spoke about the music video for The Edge of Glory.

I love how the complaints in the thread are centered around the singles. The singles have no staying power, I don't see it having any lasting value, etc.
Maybe you want standout tracks that sound like it'll be a great pop record but I think all of them are in their own right. It's a unique record.
If I want a singles album, I'll go to Rihanna, Katy Perry, or Britney Spears for that.
GaGa has always been one to create an album and that's exactly what this is.

The whole record is centered around one statement: Born This Way.
04:13 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 22 Years Old
After another listen, the only songs I can really get into are the singles. I'm not feeling this album at all.
04:18 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
eriatarka24
this album is absolute garbage - not a single track has staying power. no idea how this is the same artist who made a genius pop album like the fame/the fame monster. seriously bummed.
yea...this :/
04:27 PM on 05/19/11 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
After another listen, the only songs I can really get into are the singles. I'm not feeling this album at all.
betch you are high!

I think these songs are so badass:
Marry The Night
Judas
Hair
Bloody Mary
Electric Chapel
You and I

I really really love Electric Chapel, guys. Also I just got the special edition, only one worth it is The Queen.

I don't know, some are flops and some are fantastic. It's definitely different that TFM, but that doesn't make it bad. Maybe we just shouldn't all have expected The Fame Monster v2.0

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos