Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Living With Lions Recall Records

Posted by: Deborah Remus (05/24/11)
Copies of Living With Lions' record, Holy Shit, are being recalled and the band is returning the money they received from FACTOR after last week's controversy. A statement from Ian Stanger, owner of the band's Canadian label, can be found in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 115.
05:14 PM on 05/24/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Label StatementIn light of the recent controversy regarding the artwork for Living With Lions' album, "Holy Shit", the band and label have voluntarily agreed to return the loan of $13,248.00 in its entirety, which was offered in support of this record. The product will be withdrawn from the domestic market immediately, and we requested our international partners to withdraw product internationally as well. We understand the band’s desire to maintain their creative integrity. Therefore the album will be re-released as a non-FACTOR supported project in the coming weeks.

The material was not intended to be offensive, though we regret it was interpreted that way. Further, we regret the negative attention that this matter has brought to FACTOR. FACTOR is an integral part of supporting and sustaining Canadian music domestically and internationally, and their support of our work and that of other Canadian musicians is invaluable.

Ian Stanger
Black Box

EDIT:

Band StatementThe content of our artwork for our new recording was created out of our passion for satire and absurdist humor. The lyrical and musical content of this record does not contain any commentary on religion, nor does it use a pejorative or malicious voice against any particular group of people (excluding possibly some of our ex-girlfriends).

When the idea came up to simply alter the artwork for HOLY SHIT without having to expedite the repayment to FACTOR (The Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings), we chose to entirely return the money so that HOLY SHIT can forever remain true to the original format.

The debate about government funding contributing to potentially controversial art is neither new nor truly resolved; but when the offended public complains, the politicians habitually remind groups like FACTOR, the NEA and the Arts Council that they can pull the plug rather than encourage discourse or scholarly debate.

We would like to thank our fans, friends and family for their continued support. We'd especially like to thank some of our newer fans in the media whose stance(s) on free speech has been really influential:

"Only a fool would think that censoring and gagging someone is equivalent of changing their mind." - Ezra Levant

"I'm a mad believer in free speech and standing up to those who want to stifle free speech and impose standards of expectations." - James Moore
05:17 PM on 05/24/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
whaaat that's fucking weak, kudos to them though for being such gentlemen about it, really respectable.

hope they have copies left when I go downtown tonight
05:18 PM on 05/24/11
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
Man, this is gonna cost a fuckin lota money to do all this ass kissing make up crap... whatever the band and label want to do I guess, Its still a great record no matter what...
05:19 PM on 05/24/11
kemppettyjohn
Pilot Jones, Pilot Jones
User Info.
hope they recover from their losses. love this album!
05:20 PM on 05/24/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
It's good that they're taking the high road. But I don't think this should have been that big of an issue in the first place. Maybe that's just me though.
05:23 PM on 05/24/11
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Are people really THAT offended by it? Jesus...
05:27 PM on 05/24/11
brent_ster
My Dinosaur Life
User Info.
It's good that they're taking the high road. But I don't think this should have been that big of an issue in the first place. Maybe that's just me though.
Agreed.

People get there knickers in a knot to easily.
05:31 PM on 05/24/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
how lame
05:34 PM on 05/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
What is the big deal?
05:38 PM on 05/24/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Agreed.

People get there knickers in a knot to easily.

Yeah, I think it's kind of silly a member of the Canadian government is taking this whole thing so seriously. Especially when there's a million other things he could be worrying about.

Were people up in arms about Green Day's last release title? Or what is the big deal?

It's not over the title as much as it's over the artwork and because it was funded by FACTOR. Read this previous thread for some background info.
05:40 PM on 05/24/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Wow so lame! I didn't order yet...I was planning on buying at Bled Fest think they'll still sell them?
05:40 PM on 05/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, I think it's kind of silly a member of the Canadian government is taking this whole thing so seriously. Especially when there's a million other things he could be worrying about.

It's not over the title as much as it's over the artwork and because it was funded by FACTOR. Read this previous thread for some background info.
Is Factor owned by the government? Nice censorship. Heh, this seems so stupid to me.
05:42 PM on 05/24/11
roughroads
Sometimes you gotta pee in the sink
User Info.
This is just ridiculous. It's music, this the 21st century for christ sake... I feel terrible for the band for having to put up with this.
A lot of respect for them for acting how they are, but they don't deserve this.
05:43 PM on 05/24/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I'm decently pissed about this situation. People need to stop taking this shit s seriously. Hope everything works out for these guys.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS