AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Call Fives/Rust Belt Lights - Split Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

I Call Fives/Rust Belt Lights - Split

Reviewed by: brandon_260 (06/02/11)
I Call Fives/Rust Belt Lights - Split
Release Date: April 5, 2011
Record Label: Broken Rim Records

I first became acquainted with I Call Fives music a couple years ago, with the release of First Things First. I wrote that release off, finding nothing overly special or interesting about the EP. Then came the summer of 2010. The band released both an acoustic EP and full band EP, entitled the latter being Bad Advice and the former being its promotional counterpart, Gives Bad Advice. I was truly blown away. Both EPs ended up being in my top 5 EPs of the year.

Less than a year later, I Call Fives released a split with New York's Rust Belt Lights. I Call Fives starts the split off with "Nothing To Lose", which picks up where Bad Advice left off. The song also features screamed vocals in the background, which work perfectly in contrast with Jeff Todd's less-than-edgy pop-punk voice. Following "Nothing To Lose", is "For The Best". Fans will remember this song from the acoustic EP released in the summer, but they probably never imagined it like this. The full-band, electric version of For The Best is quite possibly the best song the band have written. It contains everything great about Bad Advice, only ten times better. The song will surely be a fan favorite, and should be a staple in the bands live show.

On Side B, I came into a band I had never heard before, Rust Belt Lights. The band are definitely faster than I Call Fives, but will no doubt be enjoyed by their fans. Their first track, "With No Hesitation", although not as good as either song on I Call Fives side, is still a very good pop-punk song. The last song on the split, "Haters Get Hated", is a great way to end off. The song is incredibly fast and aggressive. Lyrics like "Now you're all alone, 'cause nobody else wants to deal with your bullshit," and "You look like a fool. Not even your mother is proud of you," can already be imagined by a crowd singing them. It is surely a song that everyone has wanted to write to someone.

All in all, this is one of the best splits to come out of 2011, so far. Both bands display great talent and promise, making the listeners crave new material. If these new songs are an indication of what the bands will release in the future, I have no doubt that I Call Fives and Rust Belt Lights both have bright futures.

Recommended If You LikePop-punk, The Wonder Years, Man Overboard, A Loss For Words, friends making great music and putting it on the same record

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
12:54 PM on 06/05/11
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I didn't think Bad Advice was any better than First Things First. Both EPs are more or less situated halfway between All Time Low and New Found Glory, and that's decent—but very treacherous—territory for me.

Rust Belt Lights' Long Gone... EP is pretty decent, never heard the LP.
01:02 PM on 06/05/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I didn't think Bad Advice was any better than First Things First. Both EPs are more or less situated halfway between All Time Low and New Found Glory, and that's decentóbut very treacherousóterritory for me.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more RBL after listening to this, but have yet to check anymore out.
03:10 PM on 06/05/11
rmalabed
I actually hate music
User Info.
I didn't think Bad Advice was any better than First Things First. Both EPs are more or less situated halfway between All Time Low and New Found Glory, and that's decent—but very treacherous—territory for me.

First Things First was better imo than Bad Advise was. Either way, I would recommend checking out the LP by Rust Belt Lights, it's really good, and in the same vein as the tracks on the split.
04:25 PM on 06/05/11
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
first things first and the acoustic songs are the best things they've put. i thought bad advice was just okay.
08:32 PM on 06/05/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I love First Things First a lot lot, Never really gave acoustic a chance (will do now) And I thought Bad Advice was pretty good! This split rocks though. RBL is pretty awesome but I can't get into them def a grower band for me
08:50 PM on 06/05/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I love First Things First a lot lot, Never really gave acoustic a chance (will do now) And I thought Bad Advice was pretty good! This split rocks though. RBL is pretty awesome but I can't get into them def a grower band for me
Whenever I see you post, I feel like we would really get along.

And you should definitely give the acoustic EP more plays. The re-recorded song is actually my least favorite acoustic.
09:03 PM on 06/05/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Whenever I see you post, I feel like we would really get along.

And you should definitely give the acoustic EP more plays. The re-recorded song is actually my least favorite acoustic.
Hahah dude I feel totally the same way! Edpecially when we both had the same avatar, but I for sure will do that!
08:41 AM on 06/06/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
the I call fives tracks are so great and the rust belt lights tracks are very heavy yet melodic...pretty good review but I don't quite understand the RIYL though
08:57 AM on 06/06/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
the I call fives tracks are so great and the rust belt lights tracks are very heavy yet melodic...pretty good review but I don't quite understand the RIYL though

Just saying anyone who likes pop punk woul probably like this
12:25 PM on 06/06/11
3ver So Sweet
User Info.
icf needs to put out a full length, it takes them forever to release things.
05:48 PM on 06/06/11
ShayDe
User Info.
agreed 9/10 for sure.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles