AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Latterman - No Matter Where We Go...! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.17
Lyrics 8.17
Production 8.17
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.33
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Latterman - No Matter Where We Go...!

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (12/29/05)
Latterman- No Matter Where We Go...!
Release Date: August 9, 2005
Record Label: Deep Elm Records

Ever wish you could find a band with the passion and intensity of Against Me! but with a little more pop? And do you wish you could find a catchy as hell punk record that isn’t liked by every 13-year-old girl? Now, do you wish you could find a band that mixes together the above questions? Well, looks like Latterman has answered your prayers. With their second record from Deep Elm -- “No Matter Where We Go…!" -- the Long Island foursome have created an intense and anthemic punk rock record that’ll stay in your CD player for a long time. Making up Latterman are Phil Douglas on guitar and vocals, Matt Canino playing the bass and helping out with vocals, Mike Campbell playing the guitar, and Pat Schramm pounding on drums. “No Matter Where We Go…!” features energetic punk rock mixed with socially aware lyrics and killer hooks, and it is bound to keep you smile and screaming for a long time.

Latterman kicks off the record with short intro that leads into the quick pulsating guitar and pounding drums of “Doom! Doom! Doom!” This is where we get our first glimpse of Douglas’ passionate vocals and the energy of this band. “Yo, Get Into It” is a fast track that beats into your skull and captures your attention with its insane hooks and sweet basslines. “An Ode To Jon Contra, Part 2” is a frantic song about trying to make the best of the situation. The melody in “Fear and Loathing in Long Island” reminds me a lot of Brand New, and it features a great shout-out load sing-along chorus. On “Video Games and Fantasy Novels are Fucking Awesome!,” the band reflects on growing up to be the same person they are right now and never changing. It’s one of the slower songs on the album, but it stands out on this album and is one of my favorites. “Zombies Are Pissed” is a fast and fun song that’ll leave you pumping your fist. But the final song, “My Bedroom Is For Like Artists,” is great. It’s one of the best closer tracks you’ll ever hear, and it’s easily the best song on this album. It’s a mid-paced song about taking responsibility and trying to make the best out of life. It’s probably the best closing track to a punk album since Brand New’s “Soco Amaretto Lime,” off of “Your Favorite Weapon.”

“No Matter Where We Go…!” reminds me a lot of “Your Favorite Weapon” musically, but lyrically, Latterman sings more about changing and improving situations around you than they do about girls that broke their heart. Latterman has produced a memorable record, as it is my favorite punk album of 2005. I haven’t been this impressed or excited with a punk record since Taking Back Sunday’s “Tell All Your Friends,” and Latterman is the best thing out of Long Island since Brand New and Taking Back Sunday. This record has the potential to become your favorite album of all time. No matter where I go, this will always be an absolute favorite of mine. Latterman have created an instant classic with “No Matter Where We Go…!” and it would be wise of you to go and purchase this record today.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
05:04 PM on 12/29/05
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome band, awesome review--I like the shouty elements of their vocals.
06:03 PM on 12/29/05
gtf0
User Info.
best sing along record of 2005
08:46 AM on 12/30/05
LMB
Riding the Gravy Train.
User Info.
I love this album so damn much. It gets more plays in my stereo than any other CD I own.
09:17 AM on 12/30/05
TheUntitled
User Info.
Great Great record.
12:47 PM on 12/30/05
concealer611
User Info.
Read the review went and checked them out on PureVolume and am now hooked. These guys are great. I see the similarities with "Your Favorite Weapon" but I feel from what I have heard "No Matter Where We Go...!" is much better upon first listen. I see good things from this band.
11:42 AM on 01/18/06
loveofliberty
User Info.
The album cover is two of my friends, Mike and Jeff, jumping together at Crab Meadow beach in Centerport, Long Island. Every time I see that album cover, I smile.
07:41 PM on 03/10/06
thealexangus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by gtf0
best sing along record of 2005
agreed.....except i'd say best overall record of 05. pretty amazing band.
08:30 PM on 05/10/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
Vocals 9.5? I think not. The rest is right on, though.
11:12 AM on 06/11/11
kapnzach
Sleeping off the last five years.
User Info.
Vocals 9.5? I think not. The rest is right on, though.
You're right. They should be a 10.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News