AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Friday Night Boys - The Sketch Process... Album Cover

The Friday Night Boys - The Sketch Process...

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Friday Night BoysThe Sketch Process EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 27th, 2008

Pop music isn't always the most well received genre amongst people. Some people love it (*waves*), some can tolerate it, and others just downright hate it. However, even the haters can't deny a good pop tune every once in a while, and what you get with The Friday Night Boys' debut EP are six of them.

This band has a lot of material. It feels like they're always releasing new stuff on myspace, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it probably was a tough choice to decide what would make the EP. Even though I think they could have made some better choices on the track listing, at least it means the leftover songs are potential adds to their full length, and an LP with "Sorry I Stole Your Girl" or "Rockstar" would be make The Friday Night Boys unstoppable in the mainstream.

As for the songs on the EP, "That's What She Said," "Give it Up," and "Thursday Night Pregame" are no doubt some of the catchiest tracks you'll hear all year. Other songs on The Sketch Process feature "You Do, You Don't," the band's attempt at a ballad. Although unexpected and a bit out of place, it works surprisingly well. "High School" is one of their older songs but it's been re-recorded for the EP and it let me down. It isn't that different from the original, but it lacks the huge chorus that was present in the earlier version. One of the band's brand new songs (that wasn't released on myspace previously) is "Superman (Save You)" and it isn't any different than the other songs on the EP, but it'll still get your head and feet moving. Lyrically wise, The Sketch Process is probably what you'd expect from a release in this genre. It's filled with references to sex and how girls are whores, but overall there's much worse out there.

To say this EP makes me feel good would be an understatement. Even though March isn't the greatest month of the year to accompany this type of music, I see The Sketch Process as somewhat like "spring training" for releases set for next season. It does a great job getting me in the mood and preparing me for future drives on Summer nights and future trips at beaches in Summer afternoons.

Recommended If You LikeHoliday Parade, Cobra Starship, The Higher, We the Kings

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) That's What She Said
02) Give it Up
03) High School
04) Superman (Save You)
05) You Do, You Don't
06) Thursday Night Pregame

The Friday Night Boys are:
Andrew Goldstein - Vocals/guitar
Robby Reider - Bass
Mike Toohey - Guitar/vocals
Chris Barrett - Drums/vocals

AP Profile
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
11:17 PM on 04/03/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Exactly how I view it. Good Pop-punk fun. Great review.
07:25 AM on 04/04/08
Nametekken
5-0 Next up Arkansas
User Info.
I enjoyed the first track but overall not bad. There is def. worse out there. His voice is decent to. just not what I have been in the mood for lately.
07:28 AM on 04/04/08
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
I'm really glad that AP had an "exclusive" on this, so I've already been able to listen to it. I'll definitely get the few tracks that I don't already have on itunes later.
Good review.
07:28 AM on 04/04/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I am surprised this didn't get a higher score...I would likely rate it higher for production and musicianship personally. And I do rather enjoy the re-recorded "High School." To each his own, though...good review Joe.

Oh, and for anyone interested, the EP is streaming here:
http://www.absolutepunk.net/thefridaynightboys
07:50 AM on 04/04/08
lauren<3s music
i am a slippery slope
User Info.
I am generally speaking not a fan of pop, but I love love love these guys.
08:24 AM on 04/04/08
Ryan0190M
User Info.
all this band is known for really is autotune lol, i'd give them a 3 on vocals, and 4 on lyrics
08:27 AM on 04/04/08
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
They make pretty corny music.
08:52 AM on 04/04/08
apresnuledeluge
Never too fat to fly
User Info.
I cannot stand this band.
09:23 AM on 04/04/08
drftstosilence
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
musicianship: 6.75? Did you listen to the solos?

This band is nothing compared to Greeley Estates
10:58 AM on 04/04/08
lwl was rad
User Info.
high school wasn't re-recorded. sounds like someone was looking for something to hate on.
11:34 AM on 04/04/08
wroteurname
Registered Loser
User Info.
0 for worst name ever
0 for most brocoreness
0 for overall being very...
12:02 PM on 04/04/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Quote:

This band has a lot of material

Then where is it all? I think 4/6 of these songs were either released on their other EP or as singles on iTunes.
12:05 PM on 04/04/08
matt_bergeron
bandsoup.com
User Info.
so i guess two of these guys stayed at my place a few weeks ago. i had never heard of this band before that, ben (ymewk) told me about them. personally i like them, good pop music.
12:06 PM on 04/04/08
NinjaJew
Grammar Chief
User Info.
0 for worst name ever
0 for most brocoreness
0 for overall being very...

What does 'brocoreness' even mean? I ask so that I may understand.

And if 'for overall being very...encouraging of young children to NEVER let your imagination die; to be a form of entertainment that influenced kids for 8 years in the 90's, and help father a generation of people that beg to question "Why not?"' then that's a bold statement Wrote.

Bobby's World was the shit.

I reserve my opinion on this album until I've given it a couple more listens

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests