Password

Album Review

The Dangerous Summer - War Paint Album Cover

The Dangerous Summer - War Paint

Reviewed by
The Dangerous SummerWar Paint
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: July 19th, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
There’s certainly an obligation here to discuss songs and melodies and all that jazz (pun intended?). But you’ve - we’ve - done that a million times. There are hints of The Starting Line and The Graduate, there are intensely personal lyrics, there’s a certain world weariness that is both refreshing and depressing to hear from a band so young – War Paint has all these things. And it’s good! It’s a very good album. There is no debating that. But of course, there is debating that. That’s all there really is. Especially if you’re one of the listeners who found Reach for the Sun to be some sort of musical epiphany. For you, War Paint might challenge your previously held opinions on The Dangerous Summer. And me? I don’t know - I guess for a few reasons that are none of your business thank you very much, I view War Paint in a vacuum. Its merits are based only on the sounds I currently hear, not the nostalgic ones my 12-year old emo boy heart fondly remembers. Making a connection with War Paint could mean lots of things: but what I hope it means for you is that you’re not ready for this world to be the boss. Liking War Paint means it’s time to stand up, move on and improve.

We didn’t really need AJ Perdomo to tell us that this world is filled with terrible people. We knew that! This world is filled with terrible people! But perhaps what we forgot, and often do forget, me included, is that these terrible people cannot stop us. We’re all middle class yuppies, right? Of course we are – so clearly we know true pain and suffering. Girlfriends leaving, people not understanding our art, etc – how do we go on?! But somehow we do, and songs like “Miscommunication” and “Everyone Left” are based around the sadness that arises when we realize sometimes things are the worst (“When you hardly have a heart / But you need it just to break”). This somewhat trite subject matter feels fairly fresh though, because Perdomo’s prose has become much more abstract. Whereas Reach for the Sun was in your face, War Paint lets its storyline play out in more, ugh, artistic terms.

But wait, what am I even talking about? Did you believe that last statement? Probably not, because in all honesty, it’s not that true. Perdomo has always been great because of his willingness to just let it all out. And truthfully, War Paint is no different. It’s still blatantly talking about meeting, hating, breaking up (“Tried to live a better way / Tell me where I’m from / Settled in my daze”). But to imply Perdomo’s writing hasn’t vastly improved would be wrong and unfair (“You’ll find courage to paint a world / That burns like hell / Not for allure, but mostly for yourself / ‘Cause you needed escape.”) Those words, from action-packed closer “Waves,” pack a punch in a completely customizable way. Take them in, but most importantly, filter them through your world and use them.

But no, this album is not some huge departure in any sense. While it may, arguably!, be a little bit less poppy and less dependent on big ol’ Hopeless Records hooks, it’s still an angsty, atmospheric pop-punk album. But yes, it should be viewed as a major step-up from Reach For The Sun. While Perdomo is still figuring out life, and probably will be for some time, this is a record where he’s learning to deal. There’s less outside blame within the lyrics of War Paint. It’s an album about taking what the world gives you and twisting it into what you need. And whether that’s a piece of optimism only us super disenchanted middle-class idiots can relate to doesn’t matter, because that’s what we are and that’s what we believe we have the power to change.

And if you’re like, “Why does he keep making these weird class-based assumptions about me?” Just, I don’t know, leave me alone. I’m working through stuff, (sort of) like The Dangerous Summer. Hopefully this will all make sense one day. I’ll let you know. But if none of it ever becomes clear, and there’s a good chance it won’t, a record like War Paint can help us cope. And that’s reassuring, because The Dangerous Summer have crafted a release that is just as much therapy as it is music.

Recommended If You Like: The Starting Line, The Graduate, Jimmy Eat World, Valencia

Maybe I'll roam outside your boundarywww.absolutepunk.net/thedangeroussummer

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 150
10:20 AM on 07/05/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i know this doesn't come out for two weeks, but i went ahead and posted it up. maybe it'll get you to pre-order it, because you should

http://hopelessrecords.com/thedangeroussummer/
10:35 AM on 07/05/11
handlikesecret
inverted-album-art.tumblr.com
User Info.
brilliant review, Blake. i really enjoyed it, and i had a smile on my face the entire time i was reading it. looking forward to the release even more now. well done, good sir.
11:05 AM on 07/05/11
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
Great review Blake! Man I'm excited to hear this, Reach For the Sun was a grower on me but now I love it. So if this is a step up, I can't wait.
11:15 AM on 07/05/11
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Definitely the best review I've read on this site in a long while. I can't wait to hear this album.
11:32 AM on 07/05/11
crf1895
get kinda awesome
User Info.
great review, but the RIYL alone sold it for me. gonna give it a listen as soon as this comes out.
12:19 PM on 07/05/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Great review Blake. Really great review. I think this has surpassed Mansions and MovMou for my AOTY. My most played record of the last month - it's simply stunning.

Needs a higher score
12:41 PM on 07/05/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I dislike your sporadic writing style, but a good review none the less.
01:24 PM on 07/05/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
awesome review Blake, your writing shines when you don't depend on too much humor, but still write in a casual, relatable manner
01:42 PM on 07/05/11
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
I can't wait to hear this. Even though Work in Progress isn't hitting me as hard as I'd like it too, I feel like this band really can't write a bad song.
01:54 PM on 07/05/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Blake needs to review more often. Conservative score, and hits points extremely well.
02:30 PM on 07/05/11
henry chinaski
User Info.
Really enjoyed reading this. Cannot wait to listen to War Paint.
02:32 PM on 07/05/11
Nick Gerli
User Info.
Review is all over the place. Would prefer something more focused.
02:48 PM on 07/05/11
chrisisaacmills
User Info.
So excited to hear this!
04:45 PM on 07/05/11
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
yeah, an 88?
I don't bitch about scores often, but this is honestly at least a 93.
Especially since you reviewed RFTS and gave it a 95 and in this review you say that War Paint is better than RFTS....I must be lost.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos