Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

We Are the Union Clear Up Wichita Absence

Posted by: Matthew Tsai (07/22/11)
We Are the Union posted a blog about why they didn't play a recent Wichita, Kansas show. It had to do with anti-gay remarks made by the show promoter and sound tech.

Submitted by juice064

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
02:28 PM on 07/22/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Wow. Major props to WATU for doing that.
02:36 PM on 07/22/11
Turkeylegz
C'est La Vie
User Info.
While I feel bad for the fans going out to the show, major props to the band for sticking to their beliefs! (I still can't believe there are still people in this world who look down on homosexuality)
02:58 PM on 07/22/11
xrocketgirlx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Serious props to these guys for sure...other bands should take a page from them.
03:11 PM on 07/22/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Good for them. So much respect.
03:34 PM on 07/22/11
chillinlikejohn
User Info.
What awesome guys. When so many people look away these guys really did put their money where their mouth is.
03:45 PM on 07/22/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
I don't understand why bands put their personal beliefs before their music, they made a commitment to their fans and the area and I'm sure they were disappointed. I guess it's good they stand for something though.
03:56 PM on 07/22/11
I'm DC
I hope this terrifies you.
User Info.
A lot of people here suck really hard sometimes. that being said- don't be a bitch, keep to your self, play the show, and continue on your way. Wichita is a terrible city anyway, never would have happened in Lawrence or Kansas City.
04:01 PM on 07/22/11
nrm8821
REDWOOD
User Info.
I don't understand why bands put their personal beliefs before their music, they made a commitment to their fans and the area and I'm sure they were disappointed. I guess it's good they stand for something though.
I'm in a band, now even though we aren't even remotely big, our personal beliefs is what makes us the band we are both as people and in our music. As soon as you put those aside in a situation like this you're abandoning that to you and your band. Not trying to call you out or anything. Just how I feel
04:01 PM on 07/22/11
mattyrocks
User Info.
have been listening to these dudes as of late.
04:09 PM on 07/22/11
DemBitties
I ended up as food for wolves
User Info.
Mad respect for them. Sucks the show had to get canned, but I commend the band for sticking to their guns. They made the right decision.
04:12 PM on 07/22/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
I'm in a band, now even though we aren't even remotely big, our personal beliefs is what makes us the band we are both as people and in our music. As soon as you put those aside in a situation like this you're abandoning that to you and your band. Not trying to call you out or anything. Just how I feel
yeah I understand I feel as if most people on this site especially would side with your opinion. I'm in a band too, but we're four different guys with four different beliefs; whether it's religion, race, politics, and a bunch of other stuff, it doesn't matter to us. It influences our lyrics but that's it. To me writing music and playing it with your friends is the best thing. I wouldn't let any of my beliefs stand in the way of that.
05:01 PM on 07/22/11
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
while its admirable that, they stood up for what they believe in , its kinda selfish to leave your fans hanging like that. I mean they basically boycotted their job, so if every promoter was anti - gay would they stop playing shows?

im sure "christian bands" meet " anti christian" promoters / sound techs that don't agree with their beliefs doesn't mean they pack up and leave their fans in the dust.
05:02 PM on 07/22/11
BigG1392
I have a crippling fear of heights
User Info.
yeah I understand I feel as if most people on this site especially would side with your opinion. I'm in a band too, but we're four different guys with four different beliefs; whether it's religion, race, politics, and a bunch of other stuff, it doesn't matter to us. It influences our lyrics but that's it. To me writing music and playing it with your friends is the best thing. I wouldn't let any of my beliefs stand in the way of that.
I agree with you completely. Fuck what they say, play for your fans. That's all that matters.
05:06 PM on 07/22/11
Dob
partypartyparty
User Info.
definitely awesome that they stuck up for something like this. major props.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests