AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You... Album Cover

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You...

Reviewed by
AtmosphereWhen Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
Release Date: April 22, 2008
Label: Rhymesayers
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The deluxe edition of rap duo Atmosphere’s latest album, When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold, is packaged with a children’s book penned by lyricist Slug, but other than that, this album and its contents are no fairy tale.

With their fifth studio album, Slug (Sean Daley) and producer/beatmaker Ant (Anthony Davis) have upped the synths and the chilled grooves and address the same destructive situations with alcohol and women with a hint of optimism thrown in throughout. The one thing that has separated Atmosphere from other groups in recent releases is Slug’s socio-conscious lyrics and sharp delivery, although he has the tendency to recite some pretty cheesy lines. But Lemons features more good than bad, making it the group’s most consistent release since their earlier releases.

The album opener, “Like The Rest Of Us,” kicks off with a beautiful chime from a music box which leads into a simple yet lush piano chord followed by Slug’s unmistakable voice and a naked snare beat. “The Skinny” is the first track to drop the piano chords and rolls with attitude, while “Dreamer” is a rush. An uplifting track about perseverance and not just settling with the hand life dealt you. The chorus hits hard and leaves a lasting impression on the listener. “You” is incredibly catchy, if not out of place on the album. The dark “Your Glass House” is a favorite, as it encounters bouts with alcoholism.

The underlying theme of Lemons is Slug referencing to how he wants to be the best father possible, as countless references to fatherhood litter the album. Another thing worth noting are the lack of sample-and-scratch free beats from Ant; rather focusing on the aforementioned piano and synths. “Wild Wild Horses” is synth-heavy, but it works, and “The Waitress” begins with a bleak piano intro but moves into a fusion of bass, a steady drum beat, and Slug’s persistent flow. The album comes full circle with closer “In Her Music Box,” a sweet track about trying to be a good father.

In the end, When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold is the perfect blend of intensity and calmness, a cocktail that’ll always go down smooth and never leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Slug and Ant have collaborated to make another solid album that’ll satisfy their fanbase and gain even more fans.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Like The Rest Of Us
2. Puppets
3. The Skinny
4. Dreamer
5. Shoulda Known
6. You
7. Painting
8. Your Glass House
9. Yesterday
10. Guarantees
11. Me
12. Wild Wild Horses
13. Can’t Break
14. The Waitress
15. In Her Music Box
Produced by: Ant

Atmosphere are:
Slug – vocals/lyrics
Ant – beats/production

Buy this album now:

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 95
10:14 PM on 04/22/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
"You" is so catchy I don't care if it fits on the album or not, hah. I'm also really liking "Yesterday."

I like the cocktail metaphor, DrewB.
10:26 PM on 04/22/08
tharealck
User Info.
nice review -- this album is one of my favorites from them, and is really solid from start to finish. also worth noting is that since august, they've released 4 EPs (5 songs each) and a free album online (13 tracks), meaning their output in the last 8 months has been 48 songs -- pretty impressive, especially considering that there aren't really any duds among them.
07:43 AM on 04/23/08
DvlpmntArrstd
User Info.
that's cuz murderapolis is so talented and underrated....
07:47 AM on 04/23/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the tracks on myspcae are groovin'. Whenever I'm not broke I'll have to get this album.
07:54 AM on 04/23/08
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Hooray.
07:57 AM on 04/23/08
knowyoudont
User Info.
honestly i've really grown out of atmosphere. slugs ranting about girls is really starting to get old. i just hope that this review gives way to this site to review some more hip hop juding from the fact that there is no "recommended if you like" box to be seen that this is probably one of the few or if not the very first staff member reviewed rap record. there are other socio conscious artists that deliver way more better than slug in my opinion. i dont see any reason why absolutepunk cant review more indie hip hop
08:05 AM on 04/23/08
berskyjr
Leave my fucking grammar alone.
User Info.
that's cuz murderapolis is so talented and underrated....
represent!!
08:08 AM on 04/23/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
honestly i've really grown out of atmosphere. slugs ranting about girls is really starting to get old. i just hope that this review gives way to this site to review some more hip hop juding from the fact that there is no "recommended if you like" box to be seen that this is probably one of the few or if not the very first staff member reviewed rap record. there are other socio conscious artists that deliver way more better than slug in my opinion. i dont see any reason why absolutepunk cant review more indie hip hop
I might give a try to reviewing Flobots and K-os. Worth it?
08:23 AM on 04/23/08
bradyreier
http://twitter.com/bradyreier
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Still haven't listened to this but good review, Drew.
08:48 AM on 04/23/08
dustyfloors
Baskiceball Champion
User Info.
Nice review.
I chuckled at the thought of the closer being about a good father.
Which is right, but a good father that balances a life of drug dealing.

I think that Slug has stepped out of his previous introspective lyrics and does a bit more storytelling and I think it's really amazing. Like "The Waitress" and such.
09:06 AM on 04/23/08
Tyler Revolution
Best poster alive!
User Info.

They've/he has always been awful. I don't understand why people enjoy it.
09:56 AM on 04/23/08
knowyoudont
User Info.
I might give a try to reviewing Flobots and K-os. Worth it?

more power to you steve. sorry if i came off as brash from this review. i wasnt trying to put out that this album wasn't worth reviewing. a record always deserves to have peoples opinions put out on it. i haven't really posted on these boards but i've been lurking for awhile. maybe ill put up some reviews on anticon releases, plug research, ninja tune, warp etc. im also all for reviewing major releases like the upcoming roots record.
09:58 AM on 04/23/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
more power to you steve. sorry if i came off as brash from this review. i wasnt trying to put out that this album wasn't worth reviewing. a record always deserves to have peoples opinions put out on it. i haven't really posted on these boards but i've been lurking for awhile. maybe ill put up some reviews on anticon releases, plug research, ninja tune, warp etc.
It's all good. You ought to give user reviewing a try...we could use some branching out.
10:13 AM on 04/23/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Good review. I want this so bad.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News