AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Blink 182 News - Page 7
Displaying posts 90 - 105 of 140.
07:02 PM on 07/26/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
This thread has tons of comments for the wrong reasons, heh. Anyway, good for Tom and glad AP posted it.
07:15 PM on 07/26/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
I know what you're saying...but most the time Skin Cancer comes from not wearing sunscreen/not being responsible...and it is a very curable cancer (in most cases.)

Breast Cancer is something that just happens to some women and needs more research to figure out a better cure.

Why do people assume only women get breast cancer?
07:21 PM on 07/26/11
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
1) Why can't we just have a a general cancer research pool...when someone donates, not have it go to just cancer research-not a specific part and let the people who actually do the work decide which to study.Someone should just come up with a shirt that says "...Because cancer can b--w me" and solve this conundrum. 2) I think its rad what the "I love boobies" campaign is doing for research, but in all honesty, It kind of has made breast cancer support a hipster thing and almost downplayed in seriousness. I 100% support the cause and awareness- I just hope people remember its really serious and not just fun saying a taboo word. I think that's what the previous user was getting at.

I am with you 100% on the "I Love Boobies" thing. The company is legit and none of this is their fault but I see fucking everyone with that wristbands or shirt and they're the type of people that get it just to have it because everyone else has them. It's a way to seem relevant because so many people in our society are afraid of being irrelevant or "uncool". That's why Michael Jackson CD and T-shirt sales spiked after his death. But I have nothing bad to say about Keep-A-Breast, they do their job and do it well. Other people are just supporting it for the wrong reasons.
07:37 PM on 07/26/11
Sext Offender
hey bud, lets party
User Info.
07:51 PM on 07/26/11
Loyaltabk
. . .Sure, let's go with that.
User Info.
I don't like how people on the internet use words like "hip cancer" or try and take away from someone doing something to help others.

Feel free to testify, preach on, and or runteldat.
08:10 PM on 07/26/11
jds10912
User Info.
wow. that's pretty surprising. being that blink has been my favorite band for, well, pretty much since I started listening to music, news like this makes them seem human once again.

and as far as people arguing about which types of cancer are more popular or whatever: really? cancer sucks, no matter what type. it's a sad truth, but skin cancer made it's victims just as dead as victims of breast cancer. why you would ever disagree with a celebrity using their status to raise awareness for a terrible disease like this is beyond me.
08:21 PM on 07/26/11
jds10912
User Info.
also, it's said that most people don't donate to causes because they are never asked. consider this me asking you to donate.

a week and a half from now i'm participating in a bike ride across massachusetts to raise money for cancer. i'm currently halfway to my fundraising goal. if you have any money to spare, 100% of the money raised goes directly to fund cancer research through the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. and because I know that a lot of AP'ers are similar to me (in the sense of being young people without "real jobs" and really just wanting to spend your paycheck on CDs and concert tickets), I will personally match every dollar that is donated from a user of this site.

http://www.pmc.org/profile/JS0643
08:28 PM on 07/26/11
chelsealouanne
Registered Member
User Info.
Glad things are okay. Such a serious matter. What the VIP M&G's are going towrds is good cause too. Tom's doing a good thing.
08:29 PM on 07/26/11
Nightfox33
User Info.
08:42 PM on 07/26/11
Ron57
Donuts R Us
User Info.
I think the whole "I Love Boobies" campaign HAS become trendy. I can agree with that.
That being said, the fact that they can put humor into something so sensitive, and even reach out to younger kids who want to wear a bracelet that says "I <3 Boobies" just for the hell of it...IS A GOOD THING. Regardless of the campaigning, cancer is something that NEEDS attention, and in the economy we're in any donations can help. If we can find a cure for one type of cancer, that's going to lead to a HUGE revolution in the entire area of cancer. Why is it such a bad thing that Tom, (Who might I remind you guys, HAS A DIFFERENT TYPE OF CANCER THAN THE ONE HE'S EVEN RAISING MONEY FOR) is trying to use The Blink-182 image (Boomer) to try and gain even more money? It's another type of campaigning, and it's going to work. It's actually really refreshing to know that the man is so brave he can step aside and say, yeah, i have cancer but don't worry about me. He's taking his own experience and using it as a chance to help the world.

Seriously, it doesn't matter WHAT the hell you're doing people are going to hate. It makes me sick. Is this the site where all the really angry people go to spread their hate? Calm the fuck down people. You're getting upset that a guy is trying to take some of his fame and use it for good.
08:53 PM on 07/26/11
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
wow there are some douchebags in here
09:13 PM on 07/26/11
PunkDrums182
I won't always live.. Not stopping.
User Info.
Am I reading this right? Only $25 per $200 VIP package is going to the charity? And only 50% of the $500 AAA package?
09:15 PM on 07/26/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
On the topic of Blink, "Up All Night" hit #10 on the alt charts this week on radio.
it even managed to get 85 on the billboard hot 100, glad to see blink being warmly welcomed back into the music world.

and holy shit, i didn't know anything about tom's cancer, hope he comes out alright.
09:19 PM on 07/26/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
Eminem could say the words 'support skin cancer' at his next show 'j-dogg-69', does that mean he should be financially reward for doing so?

It's neither here nor there that money is going to charity, and i won't bow down to tom for doing something for charity due to the shitty measley split. Yeah, way to go tom, giving 25% of all money raised to charity.

Jesus, some of you people are completely blinded by celebrity and would buy a tom delonge hair for 1000 if you mummies paid for it.
wow you are so stupid
09:22 PM on 07/26/11
PntsoffDnceoff
User Info.
This is usually an issue I keep my mouth shut on because it is hard to not sound like an asshole while discussing it but since that other guy brought it up I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

And I have done a lot of charity work with cancer having affected a lot of people close to me. Most of the charity work I have done has been for childhood cancer organizations because thats the cause I believe the most in and where my stance comes from. Its frustrating when I'm raising money by selling wristbands and t-shirts for childhood cancer, but the guy next to me selling shirts that say "long live the motorboat" is getting twice the donations I am.

I know the stance against me is "Who are you to criticize any donations anybody gets, at the end of the day its still money going to a good cause" which I agree with and which is why I generally don't talk about this, and I DEFINITELY won't look down on anybody spending time or money donating to any charity, tom included.

And for the record your second point isn't really true, if somebody was researching breast cancer, they would be using the money to test breast cancer cells reactions to certain chemicals, and usually when they find a drug that does work the results don't cross over to other cancers, while donating to a charity such as the American cancer society would provide help to people with all different types of cancer.
I see that a different type of cancer hits more at home with you and I'm sure it is irritating to see another organization get so much donations. However, perhaps breast cancer hits home with Tom since he has been doing it for so many years before he found out he was diagnosed with skin cancer. So maybe be happy for him donating to a cause that hits home for him.

Also (this not being directed at kskillzz)...it is not like Tom has to donate money. He could easily go by and get the same amount of people to pay for a meet and greet with 0% going to the cause. And I thought 25% was actually a good bit, since I'm sure a good piece of that money goes to businesses and such.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums