AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fatal Flying Guilloteens - Quantum Fucking Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Fatal Flying Guilloteens - Quantum Fucking

Reviewed by: OKComputer1016 (04/18/08)
Fatal Flying GuilloteensQuantum Fucking
Record Label: French Kiss Records
Release Date: October 16, 2007

It’s hard to say who would win a “least logical guitar riff” contest these days: Underoath can certainly hold their own, and Fear Before the March of Flames are at their best when they’re confusing the hell out of you. But I might have to put my money on the lesser known heavy weights The Fatal Flying Guilloteens, not only because their band and album titles scare the bejesus out of me (plus, “teens!”, get it?!!), but because their music is so incredibly ugly that it’s beautiful.

The best way to sum up Quantum Fucking is that it’s exactly what your parents think your music sounds like: completely chaotic, with bursts of unintelligibly yelled vocals served over a platter of shaky discords. But what the elder generation might miss out on is the rewarding experience of finding the melodies beneath the fury. You can pat yourself on the back when you (consciously or unconsciously) learn to place the basslines and spastic drumbeats as focal points with guitar and Daughters-esque vocals as embellishment. The rhythms are what keep it all together.

And rhythm is something that the Guilloteens do excellently. The series of aneurisms that is “Long Distance Reacharound” stops and starts like Queens of the Stone Age on speed, with perfect synchronicity between drums and guitar, prompting some brutal and irregular headbanging to the point of either whiplash or vertigo. Or your money back.*

“Non-Original Talent,” on the other hand, sounds like an outtake from Norma Jean’s O God, the Aftermath, with dissonant pull-off guitar riffs and tricky time signatures all over the place, but not without its fair share of groove. In fact, I was more compelled to nod my head along with the beat than to jump around and destroy things during this track. But then again, this was halfway into the album and I barely had anything left to destroy.

Without a doubt it’s unique groups like this that push forward the sometimes stagnant indie/everything-core scene, rather than replicating it again and again like every other scary kid scaring kids. Here’s hoping that more aspiring musicians discover you get better results by completely unlearning music theory.

*Not legally binding.

Recommended if You LikeThe Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower, The Blood Brothers, Fear Before the March of Flames, Norma Jean, Daughters

myspace.com/fatalflyingguilloteens

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
02:30 PM on 04/22/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
"he best way to sum up Quantum Fucking is that it’s exactly what your parents think your music sounds like: completely chaotic, with bursts of unintelligibly yelled vocals served over a platter of shaky discords."

absolutely love this description. Good job, yet again.
10:19 AM on 04/23/08
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
Excellent review.
11:27 AM on 04/23/08
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
great review, I was listening to Dissertion, Honey just yesterday, and I'm excited to hear this...
11:43 AM on 04/23/08
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
extremely well written review. i'm gonna have to check this out, sounds interesting.
01:29 PM on 07/23/11
BuggyRickshaw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
New project from ex- Fatal Flying Guillotines, ex- Sugar Shack dudes—-
http://weirdparty.bandcamp.com/
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives