Username
Password

08:16 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 23 Years Old
Supporting capitalism means you won't be ending any kind of imperialism anytime soon. And yes, isolationism is basically his policy.
I consider that to be a gross oversimplification of his policy, personally. I'm not even sure why you're forcing me to defend him, either. Closing overseas bases? Ending US drone wars in Somalia, Yemen, Pakistan? Pulling out--really pulling out--of Afghanistan and Iraq? Seriously reconsidering our status as a UN permanent member? There are a lot of things about his foreign policy that are pretty advanced coming from a Republican candidate.

But, you're still kind of assuming what you think I'm saying, which is kind of silly. Debates are far more constructive when you actually respond to things I actually say rather than extrapolate whatever you want me to have said.
08:17 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Supporting capitalism means you won't be ending any kind of imperialism anytime soon. And yes, isolationism is basically his policy.

What's wrong with isolationism?
08:19 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 23 Years Old
One thing is it's kind of not possible to be isolationist and successful. See: North Korea.
08:24 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 25 Years Old

A. it's impossible under global capitalism
B. it's unethical not to support other countries when we are all intricately interconnected, not just politically but environmentally and metaphysically (but let's save that for the philosophy thread)--and I don't think this justifies military intervention, but that it means we are all responsible for one another.
C. What's RIGHT with isolationism?
08:26 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
B. it's unethical not to support other countries when we are all intricately interconnected, not just politically but environmentally and metaphysically (but let's save that for the philosophy thread)--and I don't think this justifies military intervention, but that it means we are all responsible for one another.
I agree with you. I just wanted to hear your thoughts.
08:28 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 23 Years Old
Exactly, I agree with this. And I don't Paul would disagree with this, in a lot of ways.
08:40 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
Ron Paul is not an isolationist, he's a non-interventionist. He's for free trade with all nations, and major troop withdrawal. If he were an isolationist, he wouldn't oppose trade restrictions and economic warfare.

EDIT: And as for the Federal Reserve, he simply wants to repeal the legal monopoly on currency regulation that has been granted to the Fed, not snap his fingers and make it disappear.
08:43 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
GuitarR0cker1
things mean a lot at the time
Portland, Oregon
Male - 19 Years Old
Ron Paul is not an isolationist, he's a non-interventionist. He's for free trade with all nations, and major troop withdrawal.
Those are basically my positions with a few caveats, too bad his reasoning for those policy planks is rooted in his ridiculous dogma.
08:45 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
Those are basically my positions with a few caveats, too bad his reasoning for those policy planks is rooted in his ridiculous dogma.

I honestly can't fathom why you think it's so ridiculous to encourage self-accountability; however, I'm glad we can both agree on foreign policy. I think there's common ground between everyone if you look hard enough.
08:46 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 23 Years Old
EDIT: And as for the Federal Reserve, he simply wants to repeal the legal monopoly on currency regulation that has been granted to the Fed, not snap his fingers and make it disappear.
Kind of a simplification here as well, because he also wants us back on the gold standard. AKA, place worth in a rock rather a piece of paper, both of which really have no actual worth.
08:50 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
Kind of a simplification here as well, because he also wants us back on the gold standard. AKA, place worth in a rock rather a piece of paper, both of which really have no actual worth.

He wants anyone to have the choice to use a gold-backed currency as opposed to being forced into trading with US dollars
08:54 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
Yeah, too bad Ron Paul hates black people.
08:55 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
08:58 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
"if you've ever been robbed by a black male, you know how fleet footed they can be"-Ron Paul
08:58 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
"if you've ever been robbed by a black male, you know how fleet footed they can be"-Ron Paul

Holy shit.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version