AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Maria Taylor - Overlook Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Maria Taylor - Overlook

Reviewed by: Broden Terry (08/14/11)
Maria Taylor - Overlook
Record Label: Saddle Creek Records
Release Date: August 16th, 2011

It's early December of 2010, Maria Taylor has just completed her duties as one half of the newly reunited Azure Ray, and they're beginning to wind down and bring their constant touring schedules to a temporary standstill. Unbeknownst to anyone, when it came to her solo musical endeavor, Maria Taylor hadn't written a single song in well over twelve months, and one can only imagine the overwhelming doubt and sense of anxiety that Taylor as a songwriter must have been feeling at such a vulnerable and insecure point in her largely successful career. Almost out of sheer determination she locked herself up in isolation with pen poised within her bedroom for days in succession in an attempt to overcome invisible writing barriers; and so it continued until she found inspiration in asking herself the question of which direction she saw her life heading towards. This candid honesty translated flawlessly into her lyrics and before she knew it, she had written arguably the album highlight well before thoughts were even being directed towards what would eventually become her latest full-length, Overlook, the beautiful and haunting "Happenstance". What was initially perceived to be a momentary burst of inspiration soon turned into a free flowing two week writing session in which all nine tracks that made it onto the album were created. The result is quite possibly Taylor's finest and most absorbing release to date.

Whereas LadyLuck, Maria Taylor's third full-length, was written about the topic of change and having the courage to start over, Overlook appears at the least from the outside looking in to be a record that deals with the question of where to go from there onwards. It's a direct progression of sorts, and instead of reflecting on the past, this is a record that questions what the future holds for Maria Taylor as a musician, and perhaps more significantly, what the future holds for her as a person. The record opens with "Masterplan", complete with a simmering introduction full of thunderous drums, rhythm guitar, and soaring keys. The tempo starts quietly in the opening two minutes, but thereafter it gradually builds in momentum to feature heavy, spontaneous drum, bass and snare beats. The urgent instrumentation makes for an uplifting atmosphere as Taylor sings with gentle conviction "do you have a masterplan? / can the heart crumble while devotion stands? / and what makes the better man?" whilst being accompanied by accordion flourishes and subtle traces of glockenspiel. "Matador" continues the surprisingly rock oriented start to the record by implementing distorted guitar solos and prominent xylophone beats throughout the latter portion of the track's four minute duration. It certainly has a noticeable sultry pop strut that exudes confidence and attitude, and that charming playfulness gives "Matador" a dance vibe and lovely sing-along quality.

Arguably the biggest departure from the usual soft, slow-tempo retrospective numbers that Taylor has previously made her trademark, the country and folk inspired "Bad Idea?", shows the unexpected diversity that can be heard throughout Overlook. There's prominent banjos, beautiful mandolins, high rising falsetto harmonies, and even the assistance of male backing vocalists providing a pleasant interplay during the choruses with Taylor crooning, "What if I turn forty-nine with no husband in mind? / well I guess there's just a glitch in my design". The lyrics may not be overly complicated or original, but they're often written cleverly so as to evoke storytelling elements upon the listener, whilst all the while maintaining the theme of looking forward into what the future may potentially hold.

Despite the focus on experimentation and the upbeat nature of Overlook as a whole, it's no surprise to notice that Taylor is at her best, finest and most memorable when she slows the overall tempo of the songs down, as songs such as "Happenstance", "Idle Mind" and "Like It Does" exemplify. The former is an acoustic guitar driven ballad that utilizes prominent echoing vocal effects during the opening verses. However, the redeeming quality that keeps listeners coming back is in the sheer beauty and elegance of its chorus. The harmonies are gorgeous, the melodies are lovely, Taylor's vocals cascade with vulnerability, and it culminates in a mesmerizing two and a half minute listen. Likewise, "Idle Mind" captures a solemn, cinematic atmosphere due to graceful piano notes and finger picking guitar techniques. The dual layered harmonies are stunning throughout the most beautiful chorus you're likely to hear on the record with Taylor's vocals hauntingly weaving in and out of the mix as she sings, "In my idle mind, I'm closer to you". Her words are wounding, direct and piercingly honest, but yet they're delivered so tenderly which captures a compelling element. The album closes with "This Could Take A Lifetime" and "Along For the Ride", two lovely tracks that seamlessly blend into one. Sweeping strings and violins set the scene for a pleasant and thoroughly absorbing listen.

Overlook is a far more ambitious and experimental release that will undoubtedly see Maria Taylor performing these very tracks to an entirely new and unsuspecting audience, but it's also not drastically different enough from her previous works to alienate her existing fanbase. Some may find negatives in that the vocals can too often be cautious, timid and restrained - but if you come into this release with expectations to hear soaring vocals then you're likely to leave slightly disappointed. The record as a whole can also be considered repetitive during certain phases in that it never deviates from the standard verse, bridge and chorus template the songs strictly follow. However, the instrumentation is luscious and variable, the harmonies are wonderful, the lyrics are solid and compelling for the most part, and with such a lovely blend of slower and up-tempo tracks to choose from, Overlook is something you definitely don't want to do in regards to what might just be considered Maria Taylor's finest solo effort to date.

Recommended If You LikeAzure Ray, Bright Eyes, Kate Havnevik

Additional Information1. Masterplan
2. Matador
3. Happenstance
4. Like It Does
5. Bad Idea?
6. Idle Mind
7. In A Bad Way
8. This Could Take A Lifetime
9. Along For the Ride
Purchase
AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
06:06 PM on 08/14/11
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I think Eda's streaming the album tomorrow on the front page, so make sure to check it out then if you haven't already!
10:09 PM on 08/14/11
arson
User Info.
Will definitely be checking this out.
11:10 PM on 08/14/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
I think Eda's streaming the album tomorrow on the front page, so make sure to check it out then if you haven't already!
I told you I was!
11:20 PM on 08/14/11
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Miss this chick. I like when she has the effect on her voice like on Leap Year.
Oh and who the heck is Broden Terry?
12:00 AM on 08/15/11
Broden Terry
User Info.
Miss this chick. I like when she has the effect on her voice like on Leap Year.
Oh and who the heck is Broden Terry?

Your biggest fan! You were so great and heroic in The Deathly Hallows. And when you won the Triwizard Tournament in The Goblet of Fire, what a moment! In all seriousness, I've been here for ages.
12:04 AM on 08/15/11
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is so forgettable to me. i feel really shitty saying this seeing as i am one of her biggest fans, but as you say, it's creation was an ambitious one. i think in terms of sound, many more low key artists have begun to explore outside what their used to, especially this year, but that didn't work for maria at all. i think the only artist to even do it right was bon iver, but rachael yamagata seems to have nailed it with starlight, so i'm more hopeful for her album as well. city and colour, gemma hayes, etc, just missed the mark though.
12:21 AM on 08/15/11
Broden Terry
User Info.
this album is so forgettable to me. i feel really shitty saying this seeing as i am one of her biggest fans, but as you say, it's creation was an ambitious one. i think in terms of sound, many more low key artists have begun to explore outside what their used to, especially this year, but that didn't work for maria at all. i think the only artist to even do it right was bon iver, but rachael yamagata seems to have nailed it with starlight, so i'm more hopeful for her album as well. city and colour, gemma hayes, etc, just missed the mark though.

I can totally understand and respect your point of view. I actually wrote this review two separate times, and the first review I wrote was quite negative because nothing really stood out at first. There was a certain blandness surrounding it - I couldn't quite understand why Maria had experimented with her signature trademark sound that had served her so well in previous solo efforts. In fact, a week ago I probably would've given this a 50-60% because I was really disappointed.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't instantly love it, all is not lost because Overlook is certainly what you'd classify as a "grower" of an album. It may take some time and persistence, but eventually it'll really connect with you and hopefully you'll adore it in much the same manner as I do!
12:27 AM on 08/15/11
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Your biggest fan! You were so great and heroic in The Deathly Hallows. And when you won the Triwizard Tournament in The Goblet of Fire, what a moment! In all seriousness, I've been here for ages.
lol sorry it's the first time i've seen ya

I can totally understand and respect your point of view. I actually wrote this review two separate times, and the first review I wrote was quite negative because nothing really stood out at first. There was a certain blandness surrounding it - I couldn't quite understand why Maria had experimented with her signature trademark sound that had served her so well in previous solo efforts. In fact, a week ago I probably would've given this a 50-60% because I was really disappointed.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't instantly love it, all is not lost because Overlook is certainly what you'd classify as a "grower" of an album. It may take some time and persistence, but eventually it'll really connect with you and hopefully you'll adore it in much the same manner as I do!
I just got a hold of the album, but right now it's not really something I want to listen to. But from what you two have written it seems she changed her style drastically. I don't blame her, she hasn't really gotten the same amount of success as her peers, thus I think it's smart of her to change it up. But still, Leap Year will forever be one of my fav songs of all time, I hope it has some of that on there. Cheers!
12:40 AM on 08/15/11
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

good to know i'm not the only one wondering why she fucked with her signature sound. not that i don't respect artists for evolving, it's just, for her, it doesn't make much sense. and, well, i worship her three previous solos and even remixed ep. anyway, i've listened to this about six times so far, which i still love the only three tracks that really sound like her. oh, well. took me all summer to love lykke li's new album, but i finally do. definitely a grower, this album. btw, good review. forgot to say that.
07:15 AM on 08/15/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
I just wanted to echo what Broden said as well. I'm the biggest Maria Taylor/Azure Ray fan girl, and I wasn't sure how I felt at first either, which kind of scared me because I expected to just adore the album immediately. Anyway, my point is, if you're a big fan, it will grow on you. I think it's all about the right time and mood, but once it clicks, it's so wonderful.
07:39 AM on 08/15/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Azure Ray is one of my favorite duos ever & their solo efforts (Orenda Fink's as well) have all been fantastic. We got blessed with another Azure Ray & a solo Maria album & I couldn't be happier. I really enjoyed this record & I hope others do too.
08:59 AM on 08/15/11
Eva Friedman
Keep Calm And Carry On
User Info.
I really loved this album. The first two songs were incredible to me. I love everything about it, from her voice to the instrumentation. The use of the marimba stood out so beautifully. It can be hard for me to enjoy an album by a female vocalist lately, but this album makes it easy.

Great review Broden. It's well organized and highlights the high points of OVerlook.
05:58 PM on 08/15/11
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Never heard Azure Ray nor Kate Havnevik...so it looks like I'll be busy.
12:50 AM on 08/16/11
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
I have never heard of her before, but I'm very surprised at what I am hearing. This album is definitely on my buy list. Amazed I haven't heard of her before
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests