AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Wonder Years, The - Won't Be Pathetic Forever Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 9
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.44
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.44
Production 8.81
Creativity 8.38
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.19
Average: 86%

Wonder Years, The - Won't Be Pathetic Forever

Reviewed by: Nathan Lint (05/05/08)
The Wonder Years Won't Be Pathetic Forever
Release Date: June 10, 2008
Record Label: No Sleep Records

So recently, i've been really getting sick and tired of that new pop-punk-pseudo-core-synthesized-electro-southern-rock-mosh band that seems to show up once a week to my annoyance on websites like this one, smartpunk, myspace etc. You know the one, that group of kids that try just enough to get the kids to like them, but not an inch more. This laziness is what i'm considering our demise and it seems a band like The Wonder Years would agree. While a band of this magnitude would be mashed in with that category, they really just don't give a shit. Selling records is the last thing on their minds (although i'm sure the gas money is appreciated), they're out in this game to have some fun and make some friends doing it. I was on Itunes checking out reviews kids left for their debut full length, Get Stoked On It!, and one kid called this band the Pop-Punk party band of the future. I respectfully disagree with that statement, this band is here today and they're ready to make you mosh your brains out, whatever that means. Their brand new 7" EP called Won't Be Pathetic Forever is a short follow-up to Get Stoked On It! and while it's nothing revolutionary, it's still better than most things in a much over-saturated genre.

This record starts with the epic "OHHH" from the opening track "Mike Kennedy Is A Bad Friend" that only someone like me would appreciate. I'm not enough of an elitest to appreciate a good "OHHH" when I hear one. This track acts as one to get you moving and gets you ready for "Solo & Chewy: Holdin' It Down". This song hits you like all the Wonder Year songs do and in the same fashion, but it's better produced, and doesn't sound as rushed. Many bands will have that one song that acts as a "we're on the road and our life is a party song". This song is that songs deranged little brother and it hits you like a brick dropped from a 10 story building. It has an obvious Star Wars theme that talks about things like "Arizona's airport is called Sky Harbor, I wonder if that's what the last song on Clarity's about" and has guest vocals once again from the wonderful Rachel Minton (she also did guest vocals on the last record on "Zombies Is The New Black"). The EP's title track "Won't Be Pathetic Forever" is the slowest song on the record, and is what I would consider a song about getting off your ass and eventually making something happen starting today and having mixed feelings about the town you live in. It's a good song that definitely seems like a good mic time song in the near future when these dudes come to a town near you. Last but not least, we have "You're Not Salinger. Get Over It", which is a great conclusion and fastest track on the record. It's almost like "Solo & Chewy", except it's more of an aftermath of what happens after too much "secondhand smoke and all night resturants" and getting out and growing up.

One thing that is for sure, when you take a gander at this record, you'll know that The Wonder Years are here to stay. This is their third release in less than two years, and they don't seem to plan on slowing down. Also, while they might be releasing more mature tracks in the future (whatever that means for these guys) they will always have a unique charm that only these guys can replicate.

Recommended if you like:TV Shows from the 90's That Never Got Put On DVD, Sour Patch Watermelons, Zolof The Rock And Roll Destroyer, Motion City Soundtrack

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
05:26 PM on 05/05/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
sooooooooooooooooooooo goood.
07:40 PM on 05/05/08
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Will this be released on CD is the question I have, or atleast itunes? BTW great review, can't agree enough about these guys. It's nice to have some music thats fun and talks about ninjas and being turtles.
08:02 PM on 05/05/08
NoSleepRecords
No Sleep Records
User Info.
Will this be released on CD is the question I have, or atleast itunes? BTW great review, can't agree enough about these guys. It's nice to have some music thats fun and talks about ninjas and being turtles.

It will be on iTunes and all of those places, but for physical format only as a 7"... But if you get the 7" you get a free digital download with it :).
08:09 PM on 05/05/08
NoSleepRecords
No Sleep Records
User Info.
sooooooooooooooooooooo goood.

then get to it kyle! ha
08:33 PM on 05/05/08
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
It will be on iTunes and all of those places, but for physical format only as a 7"... But if you get the 7" you get a free digital download with it :).

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.
08:41 PM on 05/05/08
NoSleepRecords
No Sleep Records
User Info.
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

No problem, there is a SLIGHT chance it will be missing street by a bit for iTunes, etc, but hopefully not, the shit got encoded wrong and had to be re-submitted, hoping it makes it up on time still.
09:38 PM on 05/05/08
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
that Salinger song is way better than anything off that god-awful full length
01:46 AM on 05/06/08
tait
@
User Info.
can't wait for this
03:02 PM on 05/06/08
mysensesfailed3
AP.Net's Resident AtoZ Fan
User Info.
dude i LOVE 90's television shows that never got put on dvd. what the fuck why is doug not in a box set. either way my friend raves about this band so i will probably get this
03:17 PM on 05/06/08
altemose09
User Info.
can't wait for it to come in
03:18 PM on 05/06/08
altemose09
User Info.
lol at the recs
04:23 PM on 05/06/08
aloneatlastnj
just a quiet evening
User Info.
i wish the full length had the production of the new songs or even their split with bangarang. the drums got lost in that mix so bad.
06:34 PM on 05/06/08
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
dude i LOVE 90's television shows that never got put on dvd. what the fuck why is doug not in a box set. either way my friend raves about this band so i will probably get this

salute your shorts ftw
07:10 PM on 05/06/08
TheWeakest
User Info.
i enjoyed that review, short and sweet
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music