AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Cinematic Sunrise - A Coloring Storybook and... Album Cover

Cinematic Sunrise - A Coloring Storybook and...

Reviewed by
Cinematic SunriseA Coloring Storybook And Long Playing Record EP
Release Date: May 13, 2008
Record Label: Equal Vision
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
I love spending quality time with my three-year old sister. Whether it’s playing with Lego’s or her Barrel of Monkey’s, we always have fun. Which is why I’m ecstatic over Cinematic Sunrise’s debut EP, A Coloring Storybook And Long Playing Record EP; it’s another activity for my sister and I! While she is enjoying herself coloring the liner notes, I can listen to the smooth piano-rock melodies coming from Craig Owens (you know, the vocalist from that little band called Chiodos) and company. It’s a win-win situation!

While Owens’ voice is the staple of Chiodos’ chaotic post-hardcore sound, his voice is even better-suited for piano/pop/rock side project. Along with Chiodos’ keyboardist Bradley Bell, Owens’ trades in the screaming and breakdowns for a more melodic tone, as A Coloring Storybook… is CinSun’s first proper release of demos that have been floating around for a few years. Although only one new song was recorded for the release, this EP will satisfy many.

“Pulling A Piano From The Pond” gets the part started, with a sprawling piano intro and an aggressive guitar riff setting the backdrop for Owens’ majestic voice. “Goodbye Friendship, Hello Heartache” is a beautiful ballad made even better with the slight incorporation of strings. “Umbrellas And Elephants" displays a needling guitar riff and odd keyboard effects, while “The Wordless” may be the highlight of A Coloring Storybook…. Featuring a huge chorus and Owens’ confident vocals, it’s a passionate song that’ll definitely hook you on into the band and their sound.

If Owens’ and company can find the time, Cinematic Sunrise could be just as big, if not bigger, than Chiodos. With a sound that is more accessible to music fans, it’ll draw in Chiodos’ fans as well as those who despise the band. A Coloring Storybook And Long Playing EP is addicting and won’t be leaving my iPod anytime soon. Now let’s just cross our fingers for a full length release someday soon. In the meantime, I’ll continue to color my liner notes with my adorable little sister.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Pulling A Piano From A Pond
2. Goodbye Friendship, Hello Heartache
3. Umbrellas And Elephants
4. Our Honeymoon At Weston Hills
5. The Wordless
6. You Told Me You Loved Me

Cinematic Sunrise are:
Craig Owens - vocals
Bradley Bell - keyboards
Bryan Beeler - guitar
Marcus Vankirk - bass
Dave Shapiro – drums

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 80
01:37 PM on 05/07/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Truthfully, the one thing i can't stand about Chiodos is Craig's singing voice; it just gets old to me.

So, is this worth a listen in that case, or should i give up on any attempt he makes?
01:37 PM on 05/07/08
youwithoutMe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
only 6 songs for a "Long Playing EP". and most of them ive already heard..kinda sucks
01:47 PM on 05/07/08
sowrongitsryan
R MAC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wasnt this supposed to be called 'ive seen lovers dancing in windows'?
01:55 PM on 05/07/08
hiddentrack
I feel fine when you’re in my head.
User Info.
Comes out on my birthday. woot!
02:14 PM on 05/07/08
Shrillex
is awesome fo sho hoe
User Info.
wasnt this supposed to be called 'ive seen lovers dancing in windows'?

Im not sure but i think that was either their old unreleased EP or the name of their demos
02:41 PM on 05/07/08
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
Truthfully, the one thing i can't stand about Chiodos is Craig's singing voice; it just gets old to me.

So, is this worth a listen in that case, or should i give up on any attempt he makes?
Well his singing in this is WAY different than his singing in Chiodos. I would say check it out.
02:53 PM on 05/07/08
anamericangod
User Info.
This is really fucking good. Soooooooooooo much better than Chiodos. I have a feeling I'm gonna be playing the hell out of this. Good review.
03:03 PM on 05/07/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I plan on reviewing this. If you don't like Craig's singing voice, I don't recommend picking it up. Try out a few songs on the myspace first.

Great review though, woulda scored higher. I love the album thus far.
05:47 PM on 05/07/08
ethosdinosaur
I olo'd.
User Info.
i'm a big fan of chiodos but craig's delivery of the vocals in cinsun really annoyed me at first. it's growing on me though.
10:53 PM on 05/07/08
airik625
-
User Info.
Awesome review. I love this EP.
12:55 AM on 05/08/08
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
Ive been waiting a good while for this ep, even though its a pretty much already released 6 song ep, ill still check this out.
Should be great.
03:37 AM on 05/08/08
Vismund_Cygnus
User Info.
I'm excited for this record. I'm definitely picking this up on Tuesday.
04:27 AM on 05/08/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
This is an excellent EP and review.
06:24 AM on 05/08/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Don't know if I'll agree once I here it, but this review was short and to the point. Good job.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos