Username
Password

Comments: Page 7
Displaying posts 90 - 105 of 315
11:59 AM on 08/24/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
So okay, send me a PM in 10 years and we'll discuss this record. If I'm right, that's pretty awesome. If I'm wrong, well I probably will be wrong about lots of things. Last year I never said anything in a review like I did in this one.

I appreciate Jason's post because I feel the same way. Rather than a cut and paste review of another record I loved, I wrote what I really thought about this one...and if I make one prediction like that every 150 reviews, I think I'll be okay with how they shake out.

Actually worth noting that this is the second record this year that I have said something bold about - but I have full faith in both Elsie and Suburbia. They will be 1-2 atop my list, and although it's only August, I've heard most of my anticipated releases up through early October.
that's another thing. when people say "how can you be so sure about where it'll be on your list?!?!", they don't realize how much we've already heard for the rest of the year haha
12:00 PM on 08/24/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Vindicated mother fuckas!

Hahah.

Brand New, Fall Out Boy, Yellowcard, MCR, Thrice, Say Anything, The Gaslight Anthem.

Called it!
For the record, with how carefully you choose (or chose) albums to review, if any of the ones you reviewed are now looked upon as classics, there was probably something bold in that review that you can call vindication.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
it'd be a 10 if we were using a /100 scale haha
HometownHero
User Info.
I give tens to all my favorite albums and when people point out flaws in those albums I'm all "Yeah...but like...fuck you."
12:01 PM on 08/24/11
collideoscopic
User Info.
Regardless of score, comments, trolls, etc., this is definitely a well-written review. Although I know I won't possibly like this album as much as Thomas does, I am very excited to check it out and have high hopes for it.
12:01 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
If an album moves you enough to write it - and you believe it - that says something in its own right. In the scene these days -- not much "sticks" with the wide audience anyway. It's more about niches. And cult classics, if you will.
I think you're exactly right about the "cult classics" thing. I guess that's why the grandiose parts of the review seem out of place. Gaslight are doing really well for themselves, but in the grand scheme of things, Brian Fallon is not a known quantity (outside of ap, where Cody Payne is a celebrity...shit gets distorted). I don't know if anyone has the clout to be the future of anything anymore, let alone Fallon.
12:02 PM on 08/24/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Can we please put a moratorium on the Bruce Springsteen comparisons. It's getting very tiresome, and its lazy journalism.
more Brian Fallon to Bruce Springsteen comparisons. creative.
From The Review You Didn't Read All The Way Through And although I already basically held this opinion, what Elsie proves is that it’s time to place faith in Brian Fallon. He’s proven himself multiple times over now as a premier songwriter, a passionate vocalist and a poetic lyricist. Beyond all that, though, is the sentiment that Fallon is a reason to be excited about rock and roll music. The humble New Brunswick native is playing the same music he grew up listening to, but he’s leaving very much his own unique branding on it. The comparisons to rock and roll apostles before him may never end, but the future is just as bright as the past is legendary.

Brian Fallon is the future – and very much the present – of rock and roll.

We should put a moratorium on people who don't get to the end of a review. Or maybe make users take a test on reading comprehension before letting them comment.
12:02 PM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I mean, be bold. It's admirable, I guess. But you're going to be wrong more often than you're right. Very few albums reach that kind of legacy.
And true that you'll be wrong a lot ... but how boring are the vanilla reviews that are 4 lines in places like Alt. Press. That kind of writing bores me. It has no voice. You don't feel that the writer felt something during the process. I like the reviews that get my blood moving. That remind me what it's like to listen to something that's changed someone's life. Those are the reviews that, to me, are worth reading. If I'm reading 5 sentences summing up an album, I might as well just stream the first song myself. I'll get more out of it.
12:03 PM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Can we please put a moratorium on the Bruce Springsteen comparisons. It's getting very tiresome, and its lazy journalism.
I compare this post to Devils and Dust; it's cause I'm lazy!
12:04 PM on 08/24/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I think you're exactly right about the "cult classics" thing. I guess that's why the grandiose parts of the review seem out of place. Gaslight are doing really well for themselves, but in the grand scheme of things, Brian Fallon is not a known quantity (outside of ap, where Cody Payne is a celebrity...shit gets distorted). I don't know if anyone has the clout to be the future of anything anymore, let alone Fallon.
"While Gaslight’s brand of modern rock and roll might not get the comprehensive recognition it fully deserves..."

It's not like I'm not aware of it. I'm pretty sure that it's a given that I'm writing this review for a target audience. Rolling Stone isn't going to pick it up and publish it.
Jason Tate
User Info.
For the record, with how carefully you choose (or chose) albums to review, if any of the ones you reviewed are now looked upon as classics, there was probably something bold in that review that you can call vindication.
I only review the bees-knees.
Jason Tate
User Info.
it'd be a 10 if we were using a /100 scale haha
What'd it get those points for? Spelling the name right on the album cover?
12:05 PM on 08/24/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
And true that you'll be wrong a lot ... but how boring are the vanilla reviews that are 4 lines in places like Alt. Press. That kind of writing bores me. It has no voice. You don't feel that the writer felt something during the process. I like the reviews that get my blood moving. That remind me what it's like to listen to something that's changed someone's life. Those are the reviews that, to me, are worth reading. If I'm reading 5 sentences summing up an album, I might as well just stream the first song myself. I'll get more out of it.
Fucking THIS, shit.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Does that make Landau's claim less valid because he didn't wait 20 years to see how it all shook out? They're predictions, statements in the now -- not retrospective epitaphs. That's the point of saying them in the now. If you wait until after it happened, you're just summing up a career. I think it's important for music writers to take a stand, passionate ones, and go out on limbs like this. I encourage it. I was called out of my mind when I said Deja Entendu would change the music scene; it's one of the few predictions I've gotten right over the years. But I'm still glad I said it.
Post of the year
cshadows2887
User Info.
So okay, send me a PM in 10 years and we'll discuss this record. If I'm right, that's pretty awesome. If I'm wrong, well I probably will be wrong about lots of things. Last year I never said anything in a review like I did in this one.

I appreciate Jason's post because I feel the same way. Rather than a cut and paste review of another record I loved, I wrote what I really thought about this one...and if I make one prediction like that every 150 reviews, I think I'll be okay with how they shake out.

Actually worth noting that this is the second record this year that I have said something bold about - but I have full faith in both Elsie and Suburbia. They will be 1-2 atop my list, and although it's only August, I've heard most of my anticipated releases up through early October.
I never disagreed with that. I said, verbatim "shout it from the rooftops" and praised the writing style. But you can heap tons of superlative praise just by talking about the record, how excellent it is outside of "history". To try and prematurely shove it into a place in history is a shortcut to conveying what you think about the record.

Also, honest question: do you think having proclaimed your AotY is a self-fulfilling prophecy? Because you know this is it, you're not going to think another record tops it, even if you otherwise might?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos