AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Saves The Day - Daybreak Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.51
Musicianship 8.89
Lyrics 8.7
Production 8.88
Creativity 8.84
Lasting Value 8.78
Reviewer Tilt 9.03
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Saves The Day - Daybreak

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (09/13/11)
Saves The DayDaybreak
Release Date: September 13, 2011
Record Label: Razor & Tie

It's hard to believe sometimes that Saves The Day is still an active band right now. A lesser band would have broken up after (take your pick) 1) the lukewarm reactions to their major label debut (2003's In Reverie), 2) label turmoil, or 3) the revolving door of band members. Saves The Day has overcome all of that, mainly because Chris Conley has been the one constant. And after waiting four years to hear the uplifting conclusion to Conley's past demons (which were laid bare on Sound The Alarm and Under The Boards), the band's seventh studio album (their fourth debut on a different label), Daybreak, has finally seen the light of day.

After delving into the darkest and bleakest parts of Conley's psyche on the last two albums, Daybreak is a much needed dose of hope. Of course Conley is still struggling with some of the topics from the past, but the almost eleven minute epic opening number takes on and addresses most of these issues. The title track serves as a five part mini-EP of sorts, bouncing from genre to genre (the synth driven section at 6:30 is a personal favorite). While Conley's vocals sound as youthful as ever, it's Arun Bali's guitar work that really sets the pace on Daybreak. Bali's work is the driving force behind Daybreak's diversity. Check out the smooth groove on “Chameleon” or the garage-band feel of “1984” (bassist Rodrigo Palma works nicely as the yin to Bali's yang).

Despite being the “optimistic” record, Conley still does plenty of fighting back here. You'll be reminded of Saves The Day's heavier moments during the last minute of “E,” while “Z” is littered with angst and crunchy power chords courtesy of Bali. Conley also still has an ear for catchy hooks, as “Living Without Love” and “Deranged & Desperate” are two of Daybreak's more upbeat offerings.

At the end of the day, however, Conley has realized that all he wants is love. The gentle “O” serves as catharsis, while the aforementioned “1984” has Conley shouting, "Yeah yeah yeah. I need you, I need your love." But nothing compares to the eerie closer “Undress Me.” Easily one of the best Saves The Day songs in years, the soaring atmosphere sets the scene for Conley as he finds himself chasing love (or the ghost of a previous one).

Long time fans will hear bits and pieces of previous Saves The Day albums throughout Daybreak, as Conley and company have stayed true to the band's past while also creating something fresh. The final chapter of the trilogy features a lot of soul-searching, a lot of variety, and a lot of maturity – ending for once on a positive note. It may not supplant Through Being Cool or Stay What You Are as your favorite Saves The Day album, but you can safely place it in the upper echelon of their discography.

8/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Daybreak
I. Somehow You Love Me
II. Fucked Up Past the Point of Fixing
III. 8 AM
IV. Zig Zag
V. Daybreak
2. Let It All Go
3. 1984
4. E
5. Z
6. Deranged & Desperate
7. Chameleon
8. Living Without Love
9. U
10. O
11. Undress Me
Produced by: Saves The Day

Saves The Day is:
Chris Conley - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
Arun Bali - lead guitar, backing vocals
Rodrigo Palma - bass guitar
Spencer Peterson - drums (Claudio Rivera is the current drummer for Saves The Day)

Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 81
06:04 AM on 09/13/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Album is incredible. Surging into my top five. I can't get into Stay What You Are, yet I love this.
06:21 AM on 09/13/11
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
My AOTY.

EASILY.

Decent review. Straight forward and to the point.
06:34 AM on 09/13/11
ODDSn_nds
ODDSn_nds
User Info.
I loved Sound the Alarm and never checked out Under the Boards. I think I'll have to listen to all 3 in sequence soon.
06:44 AM on 09/13/11
uglystar03
User Info.
Great album. I liked Sound the Alarm and really liked Under the Boards. I think I might love Daybreak. I need more time with it before I can decide. However, Kevin Devine's new album is taking up all my time right now.
06:45 AM on 09/13/11
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
This album is freaking amazing. Easily the best album I have ever heard from this band. The production, the lyrics, and the musicianship are outstanding. This album gives me high hopes for the future of this band. Chris still has it in him.
06:52 AM on 09/13/11
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
i dont understand how you kids are all about this.
06:54 AM on 09/13/11
collideoscopic
User Info.
Am I the only one who loved In Reverie? I didn't realize it got bagged so hard when it came out - I just thought it was a cool twist from Stay What You Are (which I thought was a cool twist from Through Being Cool). I went back to listen to it again right after listening to Daybreak, and it still holds up remarkably well.
06:58 AM on 09/13/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Am I the only one who loved In Reverie? I didn't realize it got bagged so hard when it came out - I just thought it was a cool twist from Stay What You Are (which I thought was a cool twist from Through Being Cool). I went back to listen to it again right after listening to Daybreak, and it still holds up remarkably well.

No, it's become my favorite STD record.
07:00 AM on 09/13/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Have a lot of people here not heard anything beyond the trilogy?
07:03 AM on 09/13/11
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
I adore this album, I think this is shaping up to be my favorite release of them.
07:06 AM on 09/13/11
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
Have a lot of people here not heard anything beyond the trilogy?
Of course, Stay What You Are is still my favorite, Trough Being Cool is pop-punk perfection (Can't Slow Down actually too) but In Reverie is not my thing. Still some good songs, but can't get in the atmosphere of that album. Sound The Alarm is really good too, I like the agressiveness of that album, Under the Boards ain't bad, but lacks something, in my opinion. And I have a feeling this album is Conley's most personal yet. I love it.
07:07 AM on 09/13/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I still prefer older STD, but this album is great. Good review too.
07:08 AM on 09/13/11
whipcream4teen
User Info.
I love the more positive vibe of this album when compared to Sound the Alarm and Under the Boards. Really excited to see these songs live.

And I also do love In Reverie but my favorite album is Can't Slow Down.
07:16 AM on 09/13/11
zep_jamb
Ridiculously Adequate
User Info.
SWYA and TBC mean way too much to me to let any other album eclipse them. But this album is definitely solid and I've found myself listening to this quite a bit. Great review and a fantastic album!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums