AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Demi Lovato - Unbroken Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.25
Production 9
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.83
Musicianship 4.75
Lyrics 5
Production 5.58
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 5.13
Reviewer Tilt 4.9
Average: 51%

Demi Lovato - Unbroken

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (09/15/11)
Demi LovatoUnbroken
Record Label: Hollywood Records
Release Date: September 20th, 2011

American sweetheart Demi Lovato made headlines in 2010 after revealing her battle with personal struggles, which eventually led to a stint in treatment that caused fan-wide concern around the world. Other than the apprehension of whether or not Lovato could overcome her demons, many wondered how much her acting -- and musical career -- just might be in jeopardy. After a successful three months in rehab, Lovato made changes. She subsequently left her starring role on Disney Channel's Sonny with a Chance in order to focus more on her musical undertakings. Soon, she was back to work on her follow-up to 2009's Here We Go Again. The end result is the definition of turning negatives into positives, as her third full-length, Unbroken, displays maturity and progression at its peak.

Unbroken is a comfortable combination of new and old, and what is old is supremely blossomed on. Here We Go Again was filled with its bratty pop-rock prominence, spurring off hook-laden numbers such as the title track and "Catch Me." Although the rock aspect is entirely lost, Unbroken still contains memorable ballads mixed with a newer take on pop. However, the journey of this record is hardly without its mishaps. Opener "All Night Long" shows just how much of a difference there is between this record and Here We Go Again. Featuring Missy Elliot and Timbaland, "All Night Long" is a dance-pop song that's seemingly taken out of the vault of forgotten Miley Cyrus demos. Timbaland's production shines as usual, but "All Night Long" just isn't what Lovato is.

Oddly enough, this goes for the first four songs on the album. It's almost like they decided to add throwaway radio tracks in the beginning to just get it over with. Granted, "Who's That Boy" and "You're My Only Shorty" are ridiculously catchy, but "Shorty" sounds like a Sean Kingston b-side that he wouldn't even want. After the enthralling lead-single, "Skyscraper," the bar was set high. The beginning of Unbroken doesn't live up to what "Skyscraper" is about, and any of those songs could be found in an instant by flipping on your local mainstream radio station.

Luckily, there is a bright spot to those few head scratchers, and that would be Lovato's vocals. Despite how trite the songs may seem, Lovato's vocals are unmatched -- not only compared to her previous efforts, but the majority of vocalists in general. This stays true for the rest of the album, which thankfully picks up its pace and is exactly what should be surrounding "Skyscraper." The emotion throughout tracks like "Lightweight" and "Fix a Heart" show the true compassion within her voice as you can feel her heartache pouring out of the speakers. Additionally, similar ballads such as "Mistake" and "Give Your Heart a Break" go far and beyond anything in Lovato's prior arsenal. It sets a mark as to what should be expected from similar artists such as her, but in the process, distancing herself from being grouped with them becoming a solo entity.

Unbroken's title track and "In Real Life" goes back to its pop roots, but this time does it right. This is what Lovato's songs should be sounding like when going for a more mainstream appeal, as it progresses on her typical pop charm except adds a bit of an edge to it. In regards to radio, one of the potential smashes is "Hold Up," which has Lovato's best chorus yet as the lyrics "If the weapon is your love, I've got my hands up / If you're gonna take me down, I surrender" are bound to be everywhere you look. Unbroken holds its best track for last in "For the Love of a Daughter." Co-written by The Academy Is... front man William Beckett, "Daughter" was composed in the summer of 2009 and finally seeing its debut. The structure of Lovato's vocal presentation mixed with the song's subject matter makes easily for the most enrapturing song of hers to date, and displays the true endeavors of what Unbroken is all about -- to overcome any obstacle and escape a better person.

Demi Lovato's Unbroken is a representation of the rise, fall, and rise again of somebody. Celebrities are humans too. They make mistakes. They go through hardships and tribulations just like everybody else does, but it all boils down to how they handle these afflictions. Are they using their detrimental experiences and transforming them into a fresh optimistic look at life? Or just using their trials as a petty crutch for the public to show a false sense of benevolence -- only for that person to continue down their unambiguous path of self-destruction? Sadly, we've seen the latter all too much. It's difficult to feel any sort of empathy when somebody is so unwilling to want to help themselves, especially when that somebody is a global figure who has inspired millions. Regardless, you're rooting for them. In order to have that global impact -- they clearly had their glass house in tact before the walls shattered into pieces. Although you can't mend the pieces back to its original state, who says you can't construct something new -- something gorgeous -- in its place? Nothing, and nobody, is broken beyond repair, and Unbroken showcases that beautifully.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) All Night Long
02) Who's That Boy
03) You're My Only Shorty
04) Together
05) Lightweight
06) Unbroken
07) Fix a Heart
08) Hold Up
09) Mistake
10) Give Your Heart a Break
11) Skyscraper
12) In Real Life
13) My Love is Like a Star
14) For the Love of a Daughter
15) Skyscraper (Wizz Dumb Remix)
Produced by: Bleu, Toby Gad, Emanuel Kiriakou, Ryan Tedder, Timbaland

Official Website - iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 134
08:05 AM on 09/15/11
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Joe, you're hilarious.
08:05 AM on 09/15/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
I don't get it.
08:09 AM on 09/15/11
xxkacf
it's not faith if you use your eyes
User Info.
i can't wait for this. but i'm not a huge fan of what i've heard in the previews.
08:25 AM on 09/15/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
You've said too many bad stuff about it and then said various things in favor... It became a little confuse: do you like the album just because Demi is back or you do really like the album? (shorting: do you like it or not?)
08:30 AM on 09/15/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
You've said too many bad stuff about it and then said various things in favor... It became a little confuse: do you like the album just because Demi is back or you do really like the album? (shorting: do you like it or not?)

I like it a ton. Just the first 4 songs aren't what I expected, so I said how it was weird but the vocals were good enough. But it's a 15 track album and the rest makes up for it.
08:37 AM on 09/15/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
I like it a ton. Just the first 4 songs aren't what I expected, so I said how it was weird but the vocals were good enough. But it's a 15 track album and the rest makes up for it.
Yes, the vocals must be impecable (as what I heard on "Skyscraper"), but if the 4 initial tracks are what you're saying, there was, somehow, a lack of creativity while recording this... Or maybe a strong desire of Demi's to make new succesful singles.... do you know what I mean?
09:00 AM on 09/15/11
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
Girl's got pipes.
Always been a fan.
09:18 AM on 09/15/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
still waiting for her metalcore album.
09:21 AM on 09/15/11
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
i guess ill have to get this because it got an 80 and according to my logic i need to download everything that gets higher than a 75%
09:21 AM on 09/15/11
Ari Christos
blowin on that endo
User Info.
Hey, Emanuel Kiriakou is my cousin!
09:22 AM on 09/15/11
Why Bother?
#SOSVenezuela
User Info.
I love La La Land and Don't Forget. No homo.

Anything similar on this album?
09:28 AM on 09/15/11
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
Why would she released a 15 track album? Bet most of her fans can't digest all of that.
09:36 AM on 09/15/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
I love La La Land and Don't Forget. No homo.

Anything similar on this album?

Nope.

Why would she released a 15 track album? Bet most of her fans can't digest all of that.

Haha no idea.
10:04 AM on 09/15/11
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Catch Me had been one of my favorite songs. I was excited for this album and I'm sure it'll be great. She's one of the best singers, especially at her young age.
Heck, I'm sure to listen to this album more than the Blink 182 album.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests