Password

Album Review
Various Artists - Hearts Bleed Passion Vol. 3 Album Cover

Various Artists - Hearts Bleed Passion Vol. 3

Reviewed by
Various Artists - Hearts Bleed Passion Vol. 3
Record Label: Indie Vision Music
Release Date: December 8, 2007
The Hearts Bleed Passion series of compilations are collections of songs from (mostly) unknown Christian rock bands. All three installments have been produced by Indie Vision Music. These compilations give us a glimpse of the talent of some of these underground bands as well as the failure of others.

The compilation contains a few good songs, but the entire compilation is far from entertaining. The problem with this sampler is it contains far too many genres and styles to remain entertaining the whole way through. This compilation cannot be taken as a whole like the Punk Goes... series of compilations can. Some of the songs chosen instantly captivated my attention, while others really let me down. The songs chosen do what they are supposed to though; they accurately portray the growing Christian scene. My real complaints are only with the sequencing and production. Some of the songs could really have used better production before they were thrown in front of a larger audience. Bands that would have made a lasting impression with the right production sound strained and incomplete. A good example of this is the last track by I Am Alpha and Omega titled "It's So Quiet, You Could Hear a Life End." While still a standout track of the compilation, the lack of better production makes the sound seem erratic. The compilations sequencing could have been improved greatly. The first few tracks caught my attention instantly with two powerful songs, but from there the sequencing seems almost random; an atmospheric indie ballad may be followed by a poppier song, or one of the scattered hardcore ones.

Buried within this compilation are a few really powerful songs. My Epic's "You Became I," Red Letter Bullet's "Bringing Down Colossus," Remember Falling's "The Suffering," and I Am Alpha and Omega's "It's So Quiet, You Could Hear a Life End" stand out as the most powerful tracks of the compilation. "You Became I" is a powerful indie-rock ballad that reminds me of the softer side of As Cities Burn. The opener "Bringing Down Colossus" is a quick and sweet post-hardcore song that leaves you wanting more from this band. "The Suffering" is reminiscent of a song by Thursday, and even the vocalists singing sounds similar to that of Geoff Rickley. "It's So Quiet, You Could Hear a Life End" has an unnecessary introduction, but leads into a technically-infused song that would be appreciated, but not necessarily embraced, by fans of The Sound of Animals Fighting. This band is probably the only one of the compilation to create a truly unique song, but as stated before, the production on it is lacking.

While this compilation may not contain the next billboard topper, and may not be as good as those from Fearless Records, it gives us a window to gaze inward at a growing scene. Each song can stand by itself to fans of its respective genre, but the album doesn't flow. Even though the album as a whole won't necessarily entertain you, out of the 19 tracks, you're sure to find something to like.

Recommended if You LikeChristian rock, As Cities Burn, Thursday, The Sound of Animals Fighting

myspace.com/heartsbleedpassion
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
03:42 AM on 05/26/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
This is a solid read. The review tells me all I need to know about the release and gives me your opinion on what's good/bad about it. Muy bien.
06:42 AM on 05/27/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
This is a solid read. The review tells me all I need to know about the release and gives me your opinion on what's good/bad about it. Muy bien.
Muchas Gracias.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version