AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Greeley Estates - Go West Young Man, Let the Evil... Album Cover

Greeley Estates - Go West Young Man, Let the Evil...

Reviewed by
Greeley Estates - Go West Young Man, Let the Evil Go East
Record Label: Science Records
Release Date: May 6, 2008
Greeley Estates have picked out what I love about post-hardcore and thrown it all into a cluttered mess of brutal and erratic bliss. While the genre as a whole has never appealed to me that much, Greeley Estates have received my attention. Their music is oddly catchy and what's more, oddly interesting. Post-hardcore has never really been the highest on the creative ladder, but Greeley Estates add a lot of their own flare that makes me wish other bands would follow in their footsteps.

The first track "Blue Morning" starts the album with a kick in the ass. With no musical intro, the first thing heard is Ryan Zimmerman screaming "I'm not a monster!" With that one line, you are strapped onto a ride you will not be able to get off. The double-bass kick given by drummer Brian Champ could wake up a hibernating bear and Champ throws it in when least expected, making it work every time. The next track, "Go West Young Man" starts with a riff that sounds like it was stolen from a Saosin demo. This track starts out almost identical to the first, however, when the chorus hits, a dose of melody comes storming up. While it is initially quite off-putting, Zimmerman has a good voice (when he's not screaming). The oddest part of this song, and maybe the entire album, is towards the end when they have a choir come in and sing. It sounds mildly out of place but proves to fit like a glove.

"If We're Going Out, Let's Go Out in Style" starts out with spectacularly clean vocal arrangement and well-written lyrics: "Let's save the women / Let's save the children first / Let's act like real men for once in our lives." However, the intro is misleading as the screaming resumes, as does the intensity. "Let the Evil Go East" is a song that seems to blend the melodic and heavier parts together perfectly. The blend of the two makes this track one of the most interesting and creative on the album. "Keep the Heat on the Dash" starts out with gang vocals and flaring guitars that grab attention with its unadulterated raw power. The screams seem to be fuller and deeper, as well as there being a slightly more consistent double-bass drum. The closing track, "You're Just Somebody I Used to Know," is a vintage Greeley Estates track. Following in the footsteps of most of the album, the song starts out with a scream and keeps going straight on through to the close of the album.

While it does not disappoint, Greeley Estates' latest offering shows potential in a direction that I don't think they recognize. Their screams are great, but the high points of this album are when Zimmerman stops his screaming and demonstrates his clean vocals. While it doesn't sound like it is the direction the band is going in, anything is possible.

Recommended if You LikeThe Used, From First to Last (Heroine-era), post-hardcore

myspace.com/greeleyestates
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
07:26 AM on 05/28/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I just submitted a review for this yesterday. Lol.

Good job, but mine takes a slightly different viewpoint.
08:53 AM on 05/28/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Good review. I never really liked these guys, but I saw their live set two or three years ago at Warped and they were actually pretty decent live.
11:49 AM on 05/28/08
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.
Interestingly enough I heard about these guys in my school newpaper 4 years ago. Dug them ever since. Good review.
06:16 PM on 05/28/08
TwilightEpidemi
Ain Soph
User Info.
well, seeing as they sang alot more on their previous albums, i dont think they are going in that direction, they are moving away from it. maybe you've never listened to them. i disagree with alot of what you said, because i see nothing creative or special about this cd, and was actually kind of disappointed with this release. but after listening to it again, it really sticks with you. and is probably the best this genre has to offer as of now.

good review though.
06:57 PM on 05/28/08
Klatzke
User Info.
well, seeing as they sang alot more on their previous albums, i dont think they are going in that direction, they are moving away from it. maybe you've never listened to them. i disagree with alot of what you said, because i see nothing creative or special about this cd, and was actually kind of disappointed with this release. but after listening to it again, it really sticks with you. and is probably the best this genre has to offer as of now.

good review though.
That's what i said in my review. i gave it a good review, however.. the lyrics are pretty tight.
Mine should be up here soon-ish.. so. lol

I thought this CD was a great step, myself. They actually defined their style in this one, instead of Lies where to me they sounded nothing short of confused.
05:04 PM on 05/29/08
parkerxcore
parker_anderson
User Info.
As much as i love Ryan's singing his screams make their live shows way more intense and to me is what needed to be heard most on this album. Far From the Lies was good, but its seemed ever since then they needed to come out with an album that just throws it down. These guys are all about their live show and always play their harder songs. They knew that they needed to make an album where they wanted to play all of them live. This album is definetely Greeley Estates best release since Outside of This.
08:20 PM on 05/29/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
As much as i love Ryan's singing his screams make their live shows way more intense and to me is what needed to be heard most on this album. Far From the Lies was good, but its seemed ever since then they needed to come out with an album that just throws it down. These guys are all about their live show and always play their harder songs. They knew that they needed to make an album where they wanted to play all of them live. This album is definetely Greeley Estates best release since Outside of This.

thats actually a lot of what the press release said, it had zimmerman saying that they might sound better melodically recorded, they love to play heavier stuff live, and thats why they recorded their reccord this way
02:59 AM on 05/30/08
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Quote:
The Used, From First to Last (Heroine-era), post-hardcore

I like all three.... might check this out

just a couple of questions though.... what album from the used do they sound like? and how much does it sound like Heroine?
03:19 AM on 05/30/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Listened to this online. Some songs really stood out but the rest was a blurry mess. These guys are sick live though.
04:34 AM on 05/30/08
arson
User Info.
I think the record is absolutely amazing. "Far from the Lies" was okay, but it didn't sound like Greeley Estates. I think this new record is their best release to date.
09:57 AM on 05/30/08
valoo
User Info.
great cd
11:22 AM on 05/30/08
Klatzke
User Info.
I like all three.... might check this out

just a couple of questions though.... what album from the used do they sound like? and how much does it sound like Heroine?
In my opinion it sounds like none of those, truthfully..

If anything i'd give it Dear Diary fftl, not heroine.
Its a lot harder than those make it sound.
04:01 PM on 05/30/08
Brett132
User Info.
This album is amazing. you should also go see them live too.
12:22 PM on 06/10/08
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
User Info.
this record kicks ass. can't stop listening to it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos