Password

Album Review

Jacks Mannequin - People and Things Album Cover

Jacks Mannequin - People and Things

Reviewed by
Jack's Mannequin - People and Things
Release Date: October 4, 2011
Record Label: Sire Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Much has been made of Andrew McMahon’s personal struggles – the hardships he has faced are well known enough that no history lesson is required here. Through Jack’s Mannequin, McMahon has released two albums, both of which have seemingly held a more personal bond to McMahon than his work with Something Corporate. McMahon is unique in that he has fronted not one, but two bands that have held a remarkable longevity with fans – Something Corporate still finds relevance despite a lengthy hiatus and Jack’s Mannequin has been a favorite since its first full-length, 2005’s Everything In Transit.

While 2008’s The Glass Passenger was praised as a triumph for McMahon, and while that record might objectively be the better of the first two Jack’s albums, a lot of core fans missed the sunshine that filtered through the tones of Everything In Transit. Jack’s Mannequin’s latest album, People and Things, does its best to combine those two worlds. Some songs (“Platform Fire,” “Casting Lines”) harken similar sounds to The Glass Passenger, while others (album standout “Hey Hey Hey”) even have lyrical references. Still others, like opening track and first single “My Racing Thoughts” and the airy “People, Running” feature bright hooks to appease fans of Everything In Transit.

Another, slightly less obvious, aspect of McMahon’s style comes through on People and Things more than Jack’s Mannequin’s last efforts. Influences from Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and other classic singer/songwriters are clearly felt in tracks like “Amelia Jean,” which tells a great story, and the piano-led, but rock and roll-driven, “Television.” McMahon called People and Things a “relationship record,” and such themes come through in almost every track. Unlike the status quo, however, McMahon’s lyrics don’t focus on fluttery, fleeting lust, but rather a deeper, lasting, more realistic and tangible love. The result is an intimate listen throughout, and when one couples this intimacy with the diversity and excellent pacing and structure of People and Things, it’s obvious upon first impression that this is a special pop record.

The middle of the record features a series of the four strongest pop-oriented tracks on People and Things. “Amy, I” will become an instant sing-along, while more than a few Jack’s fans will already be able to interact with “Hey Hey Hey,” which has been a constant in live shows for a while already. “People, Running” is McMahon’s best lyrical performance on this album, and “Amelia Jean” closes out that series in strong fashion. “Hostage” provides an amazing vocal performance from McMahon – and really, to some extent, all of this record’s success is derived from his crisp vocals – while “Restless Dream” and “Casting Lines” provide an acoustic, then piano-led closing to the album.

All in all, People and Things hits home as an almost surprisingly diverse record from Jack’s Mannequin. Those who are entering their mid-20s should be able to take the lyricism in stride, as one specific quote from McMahon will surely ring true.

QuoteIn the time following the last Jack's album, the people in my world were moving in together, getting married, trying to find quote-unquote 'real jobs' and reconciling new lives that looked a lot less like youth than some of us cared for. Marriage is a bit of a beast to tackle in a pop record but when I wrote 'My Racing Thoughts,' it became clear how powerful and loaded a subject this kind of love is and somewhere in that moment I began to lock into the broad concept for the writing sessions to come.

If that decision shaped People and Things into the record it turned out to be, it might have been McMahon’s best choice ever. Without alienating Something Corporate diehards, or, for that matter, those who love Everything In Transit to death (because I do, too), it isn’t a stretch to call this the best record of Andrew McMahon’s career. It’s almost a given that no pop album this year will be able to match the depth of this release.

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 136
08:46 PM on 10/02/11
Prae Omnia
User Info.
Tuesday is going to be insane.
08:46 PM on 10/02/11
Captain Awesome
We're gonna party like it's 2012
User Info.
I'm really, really excited for this record now. Can't wait!
08:55 PM on 10/02/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Absolutely in love with this record
08:58 PM on 10/02/11
Alison1488
____
User Info.
Nice write-up. One listen in and I tagged 4 songs as note-worthy. "Amelia Jean" may be my favorite so far.
09:10 PM on 10/02/11
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
Excited to pick this up on tuesday!
09:10 PM on 10/02/11
dani1292
@dani1292
User Info.
I didn't think I could get more excited for this record, then I read this. Great review, as usual!
09:19 PM on 10/02/11
dogface
User Info.
Pleasantly surprised by this. It feels like he's finally found his post-EIT sound. F'n love the big jangly Petty sound of hostage.
09:19 PM on 10/02/11
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
User Info.
hate hate HATE his new vocal style.
09:24 PM on 10/02/11
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
i hate hate hate you.
09:28 PM on 10/02/11
smowashere
I am Groot.
User Info.
JM doesn't disappoint! Although I wouldn't mind new SoCo material either...
09:29 PM on 10/02/11
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
FIGHT.
09:29 PM on 10/02/11
pack1bm
Hello Rainey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hate is a strong word, but I'm glad someone else notices the difference. I thought I was the only one longing for North/EIT-era vocals.
09:30 PM on 10/02/11
pack1bm
Hello Rainey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
JM doesn't disappoint! Although I wouldn't mind new SoCo material either...
I'm torn about this. I kind of want to preserve Something Corporate's perfect catalog. I'd hate for them to release a new record that I feel mediocre about...
09:33 PM on 10/02/11
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
YEAH! BLOOD! WAR! LOL

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT