AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Young English - I Hate My Friends EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Young English - I Hate My Friends EP

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (12/12/11)
Young English - I Hate My Friends EP
Release Date: Re-released Nov. 22, 2011
Record Label: Panic Records

I was going to write in this first paragraph that Young English’s I Hate My Friends EP sounds kind of like something the Get Up Kids might have written when they were younger. But then I Googled the band for the first time, and stumbled upon probably seven or eight different reviews that all compared Young English to the same three bands: Hot Rod Circuit, The Get Up Kids and Saves the Day. And it’s not that those comparisons aren’t accurate – they’re actually more or less spot on – it’s just that, how did all of those reviewers mention the same three bands? Did I miss a reviewer’s meeting?

Okay, that rant is over now. In an effort to not compare this band to any of those three groups, imagine this: What if AJ Perdomo of The Dangerous Summer decided to sing with a little more grit, but had younger-sounding vocals, and instead of having cool indie rock behind his voice, he had some more driven, 90s emo-tinged pop-punk? I think that’s sort of what Young English sounds like. There is a healthy spoonful of good old punk rock spirit in I Hate My Friends, but the 90s emo-ish parts and Chris Pennings’ bright, clear vocals keep things from getting too gruff, and the guitars do just enough to keep everyone interested.

The first track on the four-song EP, “Neighbors,” is easily the standout. Aside from a cohesiveness that far eclipses I Hate My Friends’ other three songs, “Neighbors” also has the most identifiable lyrical content. Pennings reflects on the trials of growing up and the hardships of getting out – sure, they are tired topics, but that doesn’t mean listeners won’t enjoyably sing along to, “How can you grow, when you can't move on? You can't move forward alone.”

“New England” is the other notable track here, but Young English’s sound is so consistent that there isn’t much that separates this song from “Anchors.” The closer, “I Knew You Once,” sticks out from the pack by being a tad bit more aggressive and perhaps flashing the big potential that Panic Records sees in the Orange County, NY four-piece. This track is hopefully the direction Young English will take their sound; the EP as a whole sounds just a little bit safe, but with some more explosive tendencies and a more aggressive outlook, each of these songs could become stellar.

I Hate My Friends is a pretty solid example of an EP that sort of leaves you looking around the room when it ends, wondering if there is more where that came from. This band doesn’t just have potential; it has four songs that I want to leave on repeat for an hour or two. There is obviously a large room for improvement – like I said, I would like to see this band unleash some fury in the studio – but I Hate My Friends is as good a start in any. A 2012 band to watch for? I’d say so.

7.5/10

Recommended If You LikeUm...Saves The Day, The Get Up Kids, and Hot Rod Circuit...I guess.
Bare Essentials1. Neighbors
2. Anchors
3. New England
4. I Knew You Once
Buy this on 7"

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
10:42 PM on 12/12/11
BusterBluth
@edgarallentoe
User Info.
I enjoyed this ep quite a bit.
01:40 AM on 12/13/11
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
intriguing
06:32 AM on 12/13/11
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Decent stuff. This is what I thought.
07:45 AM on 12/13/11
uglystar03
User Info.
I love this EP, and I am definitely looking forward to their split with Pentimento.
09:43 AM on 12/13/11
Jay Sean Fenris
User Info.
I always thought it was really cool to see users on here review in other sites.
12:33 PM on 12/13/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I gotta check this out
01:56 PM on 12/13/11
_veges_
User Info.
Good review, good band. Stoked for the split LP with Pentimento.
03:21 PM on 12/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Good review, good band. Stoked for the split LP with Pentimento.
This!
06:31 PM on 12/13/11
f00te
Tell it like a comeback story
User Info.
intriguing
09:07 PM on 12/13/11
onautolux
CC
User Info.
Both of you fail to mention the vocalist sang for Thieves and Villains.. haha good reviews though.
12:24 PM on 12/14/11
BrianBellitto
Brian Bellitto
User Info.
hottest dudes on the block
12:20 PM on 10/30/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Checked these guys out after they were supposed to play a house show with Pentimento in Erie, both are absolutely aweome. The split is great, so bummed they broke up
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums