Username
Password

02:04 AM on 12/01/11 
User Info.
Jimtendo64
facebook.com/btnband
@Dalon

Thats another very valid response.

I think the best way is perhaps choreographing SOME stage moves, but also just learning some moves and just kinda, throwing them in when you feel it with the music :)
12:15 PM on 12/01/11 
User Info.
benlong
When are you coming home?
No Avatar Selected
Kindersley, SK
Male - 30 Years Old
if they don't feel comfortable just moving around playing, they definitely won't feel comfortable with synchonized moves, and it will look forced...I'd say your best bet is just play a shit load of shows, and it'll come for them. I've been in bands with people who are new to playing in bands and most new people are like that, it just takes a while to loosen up and let it out...
I'm personally entirely against doing sync moves on stage, it makes me feel like we should all just put down our instruments and work out full dances that we can lip sync along to pre recorded tracks...with that said, I've seen some bands do it well and i think someone mentioned before about having things you do, but at random points, not planned out. Similar to how josh and jeremy in paramore used to do the flip over the back thing...i don't think it was scheduled, just they learned how to do it and would do it at random points.
07:47 AM on 12/02/11 
User Info.
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
Ohio
Male - 26 Years Old
Past bands that i've played in (and current band) have all gone by one simple rule: End on the snare hit. If you jump, land on your feet as the snare hits. If you headbang, hit low on the snare hit. ect. No matter what everyone is doing, their doing it together as a band. (We also play to a click track so moving in time becomes easier i suppose)

Don't need to plan out guitar throws together or special one of a kind moves. Just stick to the basics, never turn your back to your audience, and write a killer set musically and you'll be fine! If you don't want to headbang or jump (or your music doesnt fit that style really), you can always walk up and walk back to and from the crowd while playing. Just don't stand straight up staring at your fretboard the whole time. People pay to see a show, not a practice.
05:18 PM on 12/02/11 
User Info.
Theslowforward
No Avatar Selected
Fullerton
Male
I have to have 15 posts to get this thing going so...excuse me that I have nothing actual to contribue hahaha
12:58 AM on 12/03/11 
User Info.
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
Globe, Arizona
Male - 24 Years Old
I am personally against synchronized moves as well. I'd just suggest doing what feels right when it feels right. Never force anything. People will only think you look cool if you are obviously believing you are doing whatever it is your doing. Confidence.
10:32 AM on 12/06/11 
User Info.
Adeste
Orlando
Male
just feel it out, and do what feels right at that time- even if you laugh at yourself the next day!
04:13 PM on 12/06/11 
User Info.
savesthenight69
No Avatar Selected
Mechanicsville, MD
Male - 26 Years Old
Sum41 had synchronized moves. Sweet.

I'd say just be relaxed and do whatever comes normal. I've played with people that've tried to move around and in turn somehow end up looking forced and awkward..so yeah just have fun. Not everyones gonna look like Jimmi Hendrix out there. Enjoy yourself and that's that.
06:23 PM on 12/07/11 
User Info.
DylanRoberts
Bremerton, WA
Male - 22 Years Old
The best thing you can do is lose yourself in the music. I remember the first couple shows my band played I was always thinking too much about what I was doing movement wise to make it an enjoyable show, after I got more comfortable with it I reached a point where it's almost like a black out..Just focus on the music, and what it makes you feel..the rest should come naturally, just don't think about it. I have seen plenty of bands that do the synchronized dance moves, but to me that just isn't natural. Just do your thing, most importantly enjoy yourself, the more you think about what you are doing the worse it probably looks, just have fun, get into the music..the crowd will naturally see that if it is natural to you!
12:37 AM on 12/08/11 
User Info.
ElliotC
No Avatar Selected
England
Male - 19 Years Old
If the rest of your band aren't up to doing too much, interacting with your crowd a little could make up for it.
12:11 PM on 12/08/11 
User Info.
Piggie
Piggie
No Avatar Selected
I think that it is really good to practice some moves, like jumps and things that you can do with your instrument, but nothing too exagerated,

But in the show u just need to feel the music. Synchronized moves sucks ;x
04:49 PM on 12/08/11 
User Info.
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
Pittsburgh
Male - 25 Years Old
Your not in a boy band, synchronized moves are fucking lame and embarrassing. As are any pre-planned "moves." Just play the songs and do what comes naturally
09:50 AM on 12/14/11 
User Info.
FromTheBalcony
Collegeville, PA
Male
Agree with everyone else with doing what comes naturally. Also just want to say you guys sound pretty good, I'm likin this song.
11:33 AM on 12/14/11 
User Info.
Calvin Lauber
Memphis, TN
Male - 21 Years Old
Verified
Your not in a boy band, synchronized moves are fucking lame and embarrassing. As are any pre-planned "moves." Just play the songs and do what comes naturally

Haha yes. /thread
07:43 AM on 12/15/11 
User Info.
stephenkent
No Avatar Selected
Male - 25 Years Old
Im not very good at moving onstage. So i utilize the foot stomp while I sing and play guitar. Could use some tips
08:18 PM on 12/17/11 
User Info.
Aadron17
No Avatar Selected
Windsor, VT
Male
i like syncronized head-bobbing, backwards one foot hop, or back-to-back during solos. i want to try to power slide but im afraid ill knock something (or someone) over

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos