Username
Password

05:30 AM on 12/18/11 
User Info.
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
Ohio
Male - 26 Years Old
i like syncronized head-bobbing, backwards one foot hop, or back-to-back during solos. i want to try to power slide but im afraid ill knock something (or someone) over

backwards one foot hop?
02:22 PM on 12/18/11 
User Info.
Aadron17
No Avatar Selected
Windsor, VT
Male
backwards one foot hop?

yeah, hoppin backwards on one foot, its fun
05:55 PM on 12/18/11 
User Info.
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
Ohio
Male - 26 Years Old
yeah, hoppin backwards on one foot, its fun

Like a backwards zztop move?
04:30 PM on 12/20/11 
User Info.
Aadron17
No Avatar Selected
Windsor, VT
Male
Like a backwards zztop move?

yeah or ac/dc
01:12 PM on 12/23/11 
User Info.
seanthethief
SF, CA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
My first show (in 2004) ever I was nearly paralyzed with fear since I'd never been on a stage before (performing at least). I've committed my fair share of musical crimes in my lifetime but synchronized moves were never one of them, thank god.

I think it depends on what kind of music you play and who you're playing it with. If you're part of a backing band for a singer/songwriter I'd say tone down your presence since it's not about you. However...

If you're in your own band and you've written your own songs (and you can perform them well) - go crazy. Have a good time. Make stupid faces, dance like a moron and feed off of the energy of your bandmates. if your band dudes aren't energetic, give them a reason to be. I got made fun of a ton while playing live because I made weird faces while playing guitar and had (likely) stupid dance moves, but I left each show feeling great, feeling relieved.

Also, I'll never look back on any of my live performances and go "oh god dammit what the hell was I thinking there" because I never ran in place or synchronized head banged with 4 other guys and a useless keyboard player :)

have fun, create your own style and express yourself however you see fit. Just don't wear any mascara.
05:35 PM on 01/08/12 
User Info.
HandsomeJake
Man About Town
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
the roflcopter is always in style
03:14 AM on 02/02/12 
User Info.
tone39
Male - 24 Years Old
stage dives while shredding
02:46 PM on 02/03/12 
User Info.
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
Dayton, OH
Male - 20 Years Old
The only difference to me is energy. I don't care how much the band didn't wanna look "stupid". As long as what you do on stage shows energy and puts on a good show, I always appreciate that.

And as people have said, just do what flows. If people think you look "dumb" or "uncool", then fuck them. Some people will appreciate it, if not most.

Damn, that was kinda corny. True, though.
06:18 PM on 02/03/12 
User Info.
Zero.band
Zero
Minneapolis
Male
Go on.
Play your songs.
Get off.
Works everytime.
12:45 PM on 02/04/12 
User Info.
wecameaswaffles
39/smooth
UML c.o. Engineering
Female - 18 Years Old
square dance
05:56 PM on 02/04/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Thrash around and swing your shit at the audience.
10:11 PM on 02/04/12 
User Info.
BAH RAM YOU
If you want to liven up your performance without having to do much, just make more eye contact with your bandmates. It makes the performance more fun for you guys when you connect with each other and the more fun that you have, the more fun the audience will have. It's infectious. It's a small change, but I bet you'll notice a huge difference next time you play. Hope that help!
12:45 AM on 02/05/12 
User Info.
elbwafel
No Avatar Selected
Male - 22 Years Old
youtube "gg allin"
05:56 PM on 02/27/12 
User Info.
Jaer007ll
No Avatar Selected
Female - 32 Years Old

I like your idea
04:22 PM on 03/06/12 
User Info.
Jimtendo64
facebook.com/btnband
Thanks to everyone so far for there responses! It's nice to see a very mixed and varied responsed to how people deal with that sort of thing,

In the time I've been away from AP I've been busy myself and agree with alot of you, it comes with time, and you just go with how you feel, on top of the band I posted the video of, which have become much more pop-punk recently, we spend most the shows jumping around and looking silly, but it kinda suits and we enjoy.

I also joined a post-hardcore band, and we tend to do more synchronized headbanging and running on the spot etc. we also just go crazy and go with how we feel,

I feel that way I've experience the debate people keep having about yay or neigh to sync'd stagemoves, and I can honestly say, for the most part, it depends on the genre of music ALOT, in the pop-punk band, sync'd stage moves don't really work, unless of course your generally just trying to be silly on stage for a few laughs, but in the post-hardcore band, sync'd stage moves seem to go down a charm! haha

I'll let you know my further experiences soon, but for now, lets keep discussing :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos