Password

Album Review
State Lines - Hoffman Manor Album Cover

State Lines - Hoffman Manor

Reviewed by
State LinesHoffman Manor
Release Date: June 12, 2011
Record Label: Meadowbrook Records
I came across State Lines via this thread. Looking at the RIYL, I expected the average plethora of uninspired "ex-girlfriend pop punk" I hear every day. Instead I was greeted by an unfamiliar voice filled with raw passion and an instrumental sound similar to the likes of “Band of Horses”.

The ten track debut album has urgency similar to Tell All Your Friends or of more recent memory Under Soil and Dirt mixed with some indie/90’s emo stylings like Listen & Forgive. The album seamlessly jumps from summer songs to songs that will give you chills.

Jonathan DiMitri’s raspy, passionate voice is centerpiece of the band giving it that extra edge that makes the difference between a good and great band. He is a master of his craft, even if you can’t relate you’ll relate just because of his voice. Even more so when lead guitarist Tom Werring jumps in for some backup vocals. Werring and DiMitri’s vocals compliment each other extremely well for some great sing-a-long moments.

DiMitri’s lyrics won’t make you question your very existence; he’s just here to document his. There are happy songs with soaring hooks that will be fun in a live setting such as "My Friends". But there are also the songs that hit hard. This diversity is what makes the album so extraordinary. The band shows its full potential with “Cancer”. The moment the song starts, JD exclaims “We barely knew each yet talked for hours" with an astonishing amount of heart and ends with an even more painful remark as he shrieks "It was twelve o'clock when we got that call."

The reason I listen to music is because of bands like State Lines. Bands that evoke emotion like only music can. Bands that love what they’re doing for the right reasons. To see such a young local band create a labor of love like this makes me fall in love with music all over again. Where they'll go next is the most exciting thing.

Recommended If You Like Transit, Tell All Your Friends, The Story So Far

Full Album for free
This review is a user submitted review from JamieTheSonger. You can see all of JamieTheSonger's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
06:40 PM on 12/26/11
t.web4
Gone
User Info.
Nice review, this is such a good album. Cancer, Probably In a Notebook, and House are my favorites.
06:56 PM on 12/26/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
very interested in this, nice write-up.
08:26 PM on 12/26/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
Nice review, this is such a good album. Cancer, Probably In a Notebook, and House are my favorites.

Thanks. Cancer, Garvey, and Cheers Belmonte for me.

very interested in this, nice write-up.

Wow seriously thanks a lot, you're my favorite reviewer on this site.
09:54 PM on 12/26/11
Mochem
User Info.
I've tried spreading this band around on this site a few times, so I'm glad to see people talking about them. It's a real nice album; a great debut.
12:18 AM on 12/28/11
harrycorrigan
Bellwether LI Pop Punk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
state lines rules nuff said
06:39 AM on 12/28/11
ASOGenius
A Stroke Of Genius
User Info.
great band with great stuff and a lot of heart
05:49 AM on 01/01/12
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
This album is ridiculously good. Sitting hung over and really enjoying it.
07:38 PM on 01/01/12
bluechips
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
We need more bands like this :)

Music is a way of expressing oneself :)
12:38 PM on 01/03/12
jamdrew
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Band/album is fantastic, heads above the bands they're compared to
06:25 PM on 01/03/12
Steve Dietrich
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yes
08:33 AM on 01/24/12
takeiteasy_
///
User Info.
great album
07:58 AM on 03/24/12
amelnyczuk
Mediocrity
User Info.
I love this band's, they need more respect.
10:01 PM on 08/24/12
HateLines
User Info.
I came across State Lines via my local junkyard. Looking at the the thrown away cd, I expected the average plethora of uninspired "ex-girlfriend pop punk" I hear every day. Instead I was greeted by an unbearable voice filled with raw screeching and an instrumental sound similar to the likes of nails on a chalkboard.

The ten track debut album has urgency similar to a molassesor of more recent memory a british snail race mixed with some indie/90’s whiny emo stylings like I Love To Blog About My Problems. The album seamlessly jumps from stinky songs to songs that will give you sexualy transmitted diseases.

Jonathan DiMitri’s disgusting, ear piercing voice is centerpiece of the band giving it that extra ounce of suck that makes the difference between a bad and absolutely horrendous band. He is a disgrace of his craft, even if you can’t relate you won't relate. Even more so when lead guitarist Tom Werring (who sucks) jumps in for some backup vocals. Werring and DiMitri’s vocals compliment each other extremely badly for some horrible gouge my ears and eyes out moments.

DiMitri’s lyrics won’t make you question your very existence; he’s just here to bitch. There are happy songs with soaring hooks that will be even worse in a live setting such as "My Friends". But there are also the songs that hit like a starved ethiopian with a sockem bopper. This diversity is what makes the album so abysmal. The band shows its full potential to suck with “Cancer”. The moment the song starts, JD exclaims “We barely knew each yet talked for hours" with an astonishing amount of poopy and ends with an even more painful remark as he shrieks "It was twelve o'clock when we got that call."

The reason I don't listen to music is because of bands like State Lines. Bands that evoke angry rage like only your local dmv can. Bands that love killing puppies for the wrong reasons. To see such a young local band create a labor of hate like this makes me fall out of my 10th story window in attempt to kill myself to get away from this horrible record. Where they'll go next is probably the suck factory......cause they suck.
01:59 PM on 09/07/12
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
I came across State Lines via my local junkyard. Looking at the the thrown away cd, I expected the average plethora of uninspired "ex-girlfriend pop punk" I hear every day. Instead I was greeted by an unbearable voice filled with raw screeching and an instrumental sound similar to the likes of nails on a chalkboard.

The ten track debut album has urgency similar to a molassesor of more recent memory a british snail race mixed with some indie/90’s whiny emo stylings like I Love To Blog About My Problems. The album seamlessly jumps from stinky songs to songs that will give you sexualy transmitted diseases.

Jonathan DiMitri’s disgusting, ear piercing voice is centerpiece of the band giving it that extra ounce of suck that makes the difference between a bad and absolutely horrendous band. He is a disgrace of his craft, even if you can’t relate you won't relate. Even more so when lead guitarist Tom Werring (who sucks) jumps in for some backup vocals. Werring and DiMitri’s vocals compliment each other extremely badly for some horrible gouge my ears and eyes out moments.

DiMitri’s lyrics won’t make you question your very existence; he’s just here to bitch. There are happy songs with soaring hooks that will be even worse in a live setting such as "My Friends". But there are also the songs that hit like a starved ethiopian with a sockem bopper. This diversity is what makes the album so abysmal. The band shows its full potential to suck with “Cancer”. The moment the song starts, JD exclaims “We barely knew each yet talked for hours" with an astonishing amount of poopy and ends with an even more painful remark as he shrieks "It was twelve o'clock when we got that call."

The reason I don't listen to music is because of bands like State Lines. Bands that evoke angry rage like only your local dmv can. Bands that love killing puppies for the wrong reasons. To see such a young local band create a labor of hate like this makes me fall out of my 10th story window in attempt to kill myself to get away from this horrible record. Where they'll go next is probably the suck factory......cause they suck.
Solid post.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version