AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Streetlight Fire - The Sun Stands Still Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 8.63
Lyrics 9.88
Production 9.63
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Streetlight Fire - The Sun Stands Still

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (06/05/13)
Streetlight FireThe Sun Stands Still
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 5, 2013

Streetlight Fire may not exactly be a well-known name in the pop-rock scene today, but they should be. Hinting at artists such as The Dangerous Summer and The American Scene, their EP, Architects, caught my ear in the spring of 2011. Now two years later, it looks like their debut full length, The Sun Stands Still, will be getting some regular spins throughout the summer, blending upbeat tunes with innately dark songs. Dryw Owens was the perfect producer to go to for this sound, as his work with From Indian Lakes and Consider The Thief shines through within these songs.

From the moment the guitars kick in to start off “Thunder” and the opening line “So what if I’m just starved for attention / There are far worse things to accuse me of” flies out of the speakers, it’s pretty evident that we are in for a personal ride through the sun. The opener comes packs a memorable chorus courtesy of the dual vocals of Joshua Cosico and Keaton Nelson. Both “Healing” and “Rapture” follow the opener in similar fashion, with the former exercising exactly why this band’s lyrics deserve every compliment: “I know my best intentions were awfully composed / I dressed some sins up in some colors less belligerent.” How’s that for thoughtful lyrics you’ll remember?

While the beginning of the record makes you roll the windows down and nod along in approval, the road quickly gets darker. From the second “Everest” begins, the distanced and haunting vocals begin the travel down a gloomier road. The lyric “My mother said don't you dare start fires / That you can't put out on your own” is sung with such haunting commonplace that it resonates even more. A line like that wedged into any song is enough to turn a head, let alone when it’s so unexpectedly placed in here. However, where the track really hits home is due to the layered vocals and repetition of “You have taken so much from me.”

As the road looks gloomier, “Young Souls” has detached guitar plucks slowly dancing behind the haunting pronunciation of “Young souls need a place to vent” as the darkest and best song the record begins. Again, the layering gives the track even more weight, as the repetition throughout the chorus creates a choir-like chant – chilling and cold. The later line of “I'm not the same as I was before 
my heart became seasoned” is just as unsettling, showing quite a different side of Streetlight Fire than the sun-soaked opening tracks.

Switching up form another mellow dark cut to an all out rocker, “Lost Cause” displays some of the best growth on the record. As the track beings, the line “I lost a lot of blood breaking things I love over you / Was it worth your time?” is sung in a desperate whisper, yet it later sung out at full volume, giving the line a different weight and feel all together. Moments like this set Streetlight Fire aside from other younger bands, as the track alternates from softly cutting to an upbeat anthem on a dime throughout its four minutes.

As the acoustic “Rest” closes the record, the darkness ceases as the sun begins to creep into the sky, slowly, as Cosico realizes, “I was afraid of losing / What never was,” and concludes the record with hope: “Leave your eyes unlocked / Let the sun sneak in, and cave in to love / This pain will lift.” A record eclipsed with darkness yet ending with sunlight, The Sun Stands Still has to be one of the most impressive debut records of the year. Don’t sleep on this one.

8.5/10

Recommended If You LikeThe Dangerous Summer; The American Scene; Transit
Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Thunder
2. Healing
3. Rapture
4. Everest
5. Young Souls
6. Calvary
7. Lost Cause
8. Dent
9. Boundaries
10. Rest

Streetlight Fire is:
Joshua Cosico – Vocals, Guitar
Keaton Nelson – Vocals, Guitar
Steven Hoang – Bass
Quynn Meyers-Keller – Drums, Vocals

Facebook | Streaming | Physical Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:50 AM on 06/05/13
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Great review, and great record, I can definitely hear the TDS comparison.
10:43 AM on 06/05/13
henry chinaski
User Info.
Damn I bet this rules.
10:57 AM on 06/05/13
syntax omitted
User Info.
The second half of this album is absolutely fantastic.
12:12 PM on 06/05/13
evilandgood
User Info.
Pick up the record at

www.streetlightfire.bandcamp.com
or
www.streetlightfire.bigcartel.com

Thanks for the love, guys :)
01:12 PM on 06/05/13
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
it's like Transit, The American Scene, and The Dangerous Summer had a baby.
01:50 PM on 06/05/13
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
Great review. Just picked this up, I'm through Rapture and I'm already digging it.
02:06 PM on 06/05/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Riyl sounds good.
02:55 PM on 06/05/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Originally Posted by Ryan Gardner
Hinting at artists such as The Dangerous Summer and The American Science..

You mean The American Scene, right?
05:02 PM on 06/05/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
You mean The American Scene, right?
Man. Yep.
09:00 AM on 06/07/13
emoboy333
User Info.
I would add Brand New to the RIYL. Great great record.
11:36 PM on 10/31/13
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
This album is amazing. An AOTY contender for me even. So much improvement since the last EP.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums