AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fightstar - Be Human Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.03
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.72
Production 9.14
Creativity 9.36
Lasting Value 9.44
Reviewer Tilt 9.53
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Fightstar - Be Human

Reviewed by: Anton Djamoos (04/19/09)
Fightstar - Be Human
Record Label: Search and Destroy Records
Release Date: April 20, 2009

They've released two stellar full-lengths, have multiple hit singles, shared the stage with bands like Taking Back Sunday and Rise Against, and have played major festivals, but damnit, why doesn't anyone in the USA know who Fightstar is? England's best kept secret is not even a secret...they're big in the UK and for some reason Americans missed the boat when the band was being promoted through Trustkill Records a couple of years ago.

It's time for that to change. Be Human is the album that can do this and, with it, Fightstar is poised to finally see some long-overdue respect. Whether it's in the UK to those who decry the band for being "Charlie from Busted's new band" to the US for missing out on One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours, this album is sure to be a game-changer.

Be Human is a departure from the general body of work we've seen in the past from the band. Take note if you love the band...this CD is a grower of an album. You may not be into it on first listen, but make sure to let it develop over time and I'm confident that you'll love it as I do. As soon as you press play, the album kicks in with strings more reminiscent of Coheed and Cambria than anything Fightstar has done in the past. We know that they can be melodic as evidenced by past tracks like "Floods" and "99," but never have they strayed from being a straightforward rock band. They break from their own norm with several orchestral elements to make the album sound more full and let the music hit even harder; they're pushing their creative boundaries and it works for the most part.

Take the aforementioned first track, "Calling On All Stations." This song starts out slowly and builds into a crescendo of singer Charlie Simpson's heightened vocals and a rather passive take on a passionate subject matter. "War Machine" is another song that takes a certain symphonic quality to mirror the guitars and make the song stand out from others in the band's catalog. Where the band's musical direction seems to have expanded, their dual vocals are still classic Fightstar, a welcome constant. See a song like "Colours Bleed to Red" for a good usage of dual vocals. (side note: the chorus of "Colours Bleed to Red" and the guitar riffing through the entire thing is an absolute joy to listen to). "Chemicals Bleed" is my favorite track on this album, with an incredibly powerful string section in the beginning of the song to "Deathcar"-esque force to the end of the track.

The band's melodic strengths shine on this album, but they still have some of the heavier elements found on previous albums. "Damocles" illustrates this perfectly, with it's changing time signatures and fuzzy guitar sounds permeating through Simpson's screams. Fans of the band's heavier material will not be disappointed.

The first two singles from the album, "The English Way" and "Mercury Summer" have already been released and, if you have not yet heard them, make sure to check them out. Though they're singles, they're still great songs that really showcase what the band is all about. "The English Way" takes a more modern rock approach with a great hooky single. "Mercury Summer" is the highlight single for me, as it showcases the band's ability to take a simple song with a simple love song concept and turn it into something really special. The song's been out for over a month and I haven't even considered skipping it once as it comes up in all my times listening to this album so far.

The only misstep on the album for me is the song "The Whisperer." Maybe it just hasn't clicked with me yet, but it's a saloon piano-laced track that only reminds me of Muse's "Supermassive Black Hole," as it is a dancier track that is a radical depature from the band's other tracks. They're going for something new with this one and, while the chorus is solid, the verses don't stick for me like the other songs on the album.

The amount of variety on this album for a rock band should be noted as a positive, though. As I said earlier, they are pushing their creativity from what's been seen on previous albums. The band have improved on their already strong sound and created a collection of songs that will be a highlight in their career catalog. Be Human is a solid album overall that is worth the buzz this particular reviewer has given it up to its release. Fightstar have made a musical evolution that remains true to what the band is while providing the listener with an entirely new Fightstar experience.

America, it's time to finally take notice of Fightstar.

More InformationTrack Listing
1. Calling On All Stations
2. The English Way
3. War Machine
4. Never Change
5. Colours Bleed To Red
6. The Whisperer
7. Mercury Summer
8. Give Me The Sky
9. Chemical Blood
10. Tonight We Burn
11. Domacles
12. Follow Me Into The Darkness

Fightstar is:
Charlie Simpson
Alex Westaway
Dan Haigh
Omar Abidi

Recommended if you like: Madina Lake, Funeral For A Friend, Lostprophets x Claudio Sanchez's penchant for epic

Web Site | AP.net Profile | Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 70
10:09 PM on 04/19/09
acornwe2
User Info.
great CD, had never really listened to them before but I plan to go out and get their discography if I can find it...and good review too
10:09 PM on 04/19/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Great review, Anton.
10:13 PM on 04/19/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Always got to love seeing Anton get a review up

I tried getting into Fightstar, but they never caught on with me. Normally, I like this kind of sound, but maybe I'll have to go back and try again soon. Nevertheless, good review -- Joe will be proud!
10:23 PM on 04/19/09
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
Good review. Stellar album.
10:44 PM on 04/19/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
who would you compare them to?
11:02 PM on 04/19/09
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
who would you compare them to?
Recommended if you like: Madina Lake, Funeral For A Friend, Lostprophets x Claudio Sanchez's penchant for epic
11:05 PM on 04/19/09
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
That was a really good review. I'm looking forward to listening to this.
12:11 AM on 04/20/09
skyphoenix
One Among the Fence
User Info.
This album is amazing. I was never really into them before (or able to get into them for that matter) but this CD has something to it that I cant stop listening to. Great review.
01:11 AM on 04/20/09
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I just listened to it. I think Never Change might be my favorite track. Such a good record.

Anton, do you see this as the record that may potentially make people in the US sit and and take notice? They're vastly underrated.
01:41 AM on 04/20/09
djkilo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours - still the best album but this ones great too, and good review.
03:45 AM on 04/20/09
CLARIFY THIS
--
User Info.
After a few listens I def feel that this is their best release so far. Love this band
03:54 AM on 04/20/09
richie
User Info.
Very good record, since the first spin I knew it'd be a grower. I hated Whisperer but now I like it quite a lot. The verses sound like Blur's Country House or any of that brit-pop stuff but at least they're trying something new. Never change and Calling all stations are very very good and could do well as singles and the whole record has a wonderful vibe when it comes to the string section. So, once again, good job boys. And great review too!
04:07 AM on 04/20/09
shaner85
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wouldn't say they were 'Huge In The UK'
05:13 AM on 04/20/09
Twikki
Continuous Thunder
User Info.
on a first listen this is definately their best release

i'm so glad i waited =]
Options