AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Death Cab for Cutie - The Open Door EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.38
Lyrics 8.69
Production 8.44
Creativity 6.38
Lasting Value 6.88
Reviewer Tilt 8.69
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Death Cab for Cutie - The Open Door EP

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (04/21/09)
Death Cab for Cutie - The Open Door EP
Record Label: Atlantic Records
Release Date: April 14, 2009

Who?

Death Cab for Cutie's The Open Door EP is a collection of leftover tracks that didn't make it onto the genre-defining indie-rockers' latest full length, Narrow Stairs, along with a demo version of that album's "Talking Bird."

How Is It?

When approaching the first listen to a release of this type, it's probably best to proceed with caution and not to expect too much. After all, if the material wasn't good enough to make the album, how good could it be? Then again, we're talking about Death Cab for Cutie, and the album in question was one of the best (or at least one of my favorite) releases of 2008 and a solid addition to the band's already highly-celebrated catalog. With these factors in mind, my own expectations for the EP ran a little higher than I'd normally allow, but The Open Door did not disappoint.

As you'd expect, the songs on the EP sound a lot like those on Narrow Stairs, so fans of that album should enjoy this as well. As usual, Ben Gibbard's lyrics and vocals are the centerpoint, and as on Stairs the band performs in the similarly organic guitar rock style, a la Built to Spill (listen to the guitar squall on opener "Little Bribes"), that made the album a slight departure from their earlier polished pop sound, while also being a further testament to Gibbard's status as a melodic mastermind. Supposedly left off the album because they didn't mesh with the feel of the record, the songs aren't second-rate at all, and the only reason any one of them would sound strange to me among the album's tracks is because I've listened to it so many times as it is.

Gibbard is known is one of music's more earnest lyricists, and The Open Door EP finds him expectedly confessional. There's a thematic consistency running through the songs that makes this set feel like a cohesive whole. On "A Diamond and a Tether," he paints himself as someone with "fantasies of being alone" who "won't jump when he falls in love." Likewise, on "My Mirror Speaks," he's "a man who hides from all that binds" that can't help but "fall in love with an open door." The title of "I Was Once a Loyal Lover" telegraphs its content, Gibbard's boredom in relationships, as he makes the comparison, "Life with a nice girl's like waiting for a bus to work." The Open Door is an apt title for the collection, as it focuses largely on his propensity to run out on his current situation. His lyrics indicate a keen self-awareness-- he knows he's his own worst enemy, but just can't seem to help himself.

The EP probably could have done without the demo version of "Talking Bird," accompanied only by the strumming of a ukulele. For me, the final version was one of the weaker moments on Narrow Stairs and this version could have gone unheard, not to mention that it just sounds out of place on this set. Otherwise, the previously unreleased material is sure to please fans of Death Cab in general and Narrow Stairs in particular, providing just enough to hold us over until the next release.

Recommended If You LikeDeath Cab for Cutie's Narrow Stairs
Built to Spill's Keep It Like a Secret
Deas Vail's All the Houses Look the Same
The Decemberists' The Crane Wife
Band of Horses' Everything All the Time

Check out Death Cab for Cutie on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
08:53 PM on 04/21/09
bloodymurder
User Info.
I am completely obsessed with "I Was Once a Loyal Lover", still have not stopped consistently stopped listening to that song.
08:59 PM on 04/21/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I like this EP, it got a little overshadowed by the new Silversun Pickups album, but it is certainly a good listen.
08:59 PM on 04/21/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i didn't like narrow stairs at all, so i've been hesitant to check this out.
09:17 PM on 04/21/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
i didn't like narrow stairs at all, so i've been hesitant to check this out.
It's probably not worth it for you, though it is only about fifteen minutes. I can't see anyone really liking this after not liking Stairs.
09:49 PM on 04/21/09
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.
I was highly disappointed in narrow stairs, honestly. It sounded like a bunch of Death Cab b-sides. It didn't have the same magic as Plans/Transatlanticism/The Photo Album had for me.

I picked this up on record store day for 5 bucks either way for a friend of mine. I don't mind the songs, just easily forgettable is all.
10:18 PM on 04/21/09
briXinRhands
>>----------;;----l>
User Info.
I really like Open Door as well, but I think it sounds pretty different than NS, much more upbeat on the whole.
10:55 PM on 04/21/09
xjulianx89
Play that tune
User Info.
I didn't like Narrow Stairs at first, but it grew on me.
05:22 AM on 04/22/09
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
I really liked Narrow Stairs and the Open Door. I feel like any of the songs off of Open Door should have replaced Talking Bird. (except of course, Talking Bird)
05:27 AM on 04/22/09
Everiggs
<--------Hot
User Info.
Narrow Stairs was one of my top albums for 2008, and this EP is the perfect extension of it.
08:07 AM on 04/22/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really love this EP, it sounds a lot poppier than Narrow Stairs.
08:48 AM on 04/22/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Great EP and a great review.
08:50 AM on 04/22/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Great EP.
08:57 AM on 04/22/09
ffadam
Heaven Sent
User Info.
This isn't a b-side EP is it? I thought it was songs that were written that didn't fit the 'vibe' of Narrow Stairs so kept them back.
09:03 AM on 04/22/09
jwicklun
Never forget.
User Info.
I am completely obsessed with "I Was Once a Loyal Lover", still have not stopped consistently stopped listening to that song.
that songs the shit, along with my mirror speaks
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News