Password

Album Review

FM Static - Dear Diary Album Cover

FM Static - Dear Diary

Reviewed by
FM Static - Dear Diary
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: April 7, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
04:03 PM on 04/22/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Quote:
Like the star high school quarterback who led his team to the state championship only to stay in town and take a job at the hardware store, FM Static don't seem to have had anything happen in their lives worth writing about since graduation.

Perfect line! That's pretty much the band's biggest handicap: these guys are nearly 30 and don't write songs for people their own age. I feel like FM Static aims everything they do to a younger teenage crowd. I wish they would grow up -- they hint at it early on with this album, then just stop.

Either way, good work J-Bone!
07:42 PM on 04/22/09
ndmill
User Info.
Word sounds like it'll be a fun summer album. All I expect from FM Static is for it to be fun and catchy, even if it's a little stale.
10:29 PM on 04/22/09
briXinRhands
>>----------;;----l>
User Info.
love the last paragraph of the review, it sums up this band perfectly.
02:15 AM on 04/23/09
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I still need to check out this record. I really enjoyed the review.
09:22 AM on 04/23/09
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
A really solid summer-record.
Nothing special, but entertaining every now and then.
good review!
09:31 AM on 04/23/09
ThaRealNC
User Info.
Their first CD, What Are You Waiting For?, is one of my all time favorite pop-punk records. I don't feel like their last album or this one elevate them back to that for me, but it's definitely fun to listen to on a sunny day.

Also, not sure if anyone had heard, but this album debuted in the Billboard 200 last week. No small feat for a side project on an indie label.
09:32 AM on 04/23/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
I hate this review. It barely said anything about the actual album. It was the same thing over and over. "Sounds like music from 10 years ago, sounds like a hit from a decade ago, blah blah", we get it. I haven't even listened to this record and just from this it makes me no want to. But regardless, I will since I still have a lot of hope for FM Static.
09:54 AM on 04/23/09
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
I hate this review. It barely said anything about the actual album. It was the same thing over and over. "Sounds like music from 10 years ago, sounds like a hit from a decade ago, blah blah", we get it. I haven't even listened to this record and just from this it makes me no want to. But regardless, I will since I still have a lot of hope for FM Static.

I have to agree. It didn't say a lot about individual songs/highlights/lows. It was a good review but would have been better with a few more details.
10:13 AM on 04/23/09
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Big step up from "Critically Ashamed", still think these guys coulda been huge back in '04 if the track "Definitely Maybe" would have been released mainstream.
10:47 AM on 04/23/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
I really enjoy this album because of its sugary chessy ness. Nothing innovative or special, but its fun and passionate.
11:23 AM on 04/23/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I have to agree. It didn't say a lot about individual songs/highlights/lows. It was a good review but would have been better with a few more details.
I typically provide details on many of an album's songs and frequently on all the songs. This album didn't lend itself well to that, as I'd find myself saying the same things about each song. They are all catchy and none of them is the least bit interesting musically. It's still a fun listen, though. There really weren't any high points or low points-- if you're into catchy pop-rock, it was all merely pretty good. If anyone thought this review was kind of like beating on a dead horse, it could have gotten a lot worse if I did a song-by-song run-down, and I didn't feel this album really deserved that, so I described it summarily.
12:45 PM on 04/23/09
roisterboy
roisterboy
User Info.
The review could have at least mentioned the song "The Unavoidable Battle of Feeling On The Outside," is a complete rip off of New Found Glory's "My Friends Over You."
01:46 PM on 04/23/09
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
Haha, not surprised. I got this exact vibe with their first album and wrote the project off then and there. Still haven't given up on TFK, though their last album has me worried for what's in store...

Oh well. Good review, Jeremy. Last paragraph nailed it. At least we'll always have Phenomenon.
02:42 PM on 04/23/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Good review. That last paragraph again was pretty spot on.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos