AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:47 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
sharkstack
I never have fun in Tijuana.
This is going to be terrible, but I really, really don't want it to be. I'll probably end up wasting my money on it in theaters, only to go home and cry myself to sleep on a stack of the original comics.
09:25 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
It was also an animated film without a major animated studio push that was released in March of all months against five other films on the same day. This will most likely be market as an event picture (the last one wasn't) and Christmas and Summer are the two prime spots for those sort of films. I think it'll do a lot better than that one will, especially with a man like Michael Bay producing it. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.

I don't know. Granted, I'm just speculating, but Platinum Dunes has yet to release an 'event' picture. Even their biggest remake "Nightmare on Elm Street," was released during the film dump months. Not to mention their track record is absolutely terrible. I wouldn't count on this being a summer or winter release. But I could be wrong.

$95 million on a $34 million budget plus dvd and toy sales not bad for a franchise that had been absent for a while

Yea, I didn't see the international gross. But I remember the movie being greeted with a collective shrug. You're right though, it was decent for the franchise.
09:26 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Also, I HATE the origins change but I'm really interested in seeing the character design in this film. There's a lot of really awesome incarnations of the characters. I'm personally hoping they use Simon Bisley's work on Bodycount as a frame of reference:

Seems exactly the kind of thing they're going to go for ... probably exactly that.

09:27 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
The first two were handled by Henson Studios, who did not work on the third one. That's why there's a clear discrepancy in quality... haha

Update though from Michael Bay himself:
"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

Eh... Who knows? He'll fuck it up one way or another.
Michael Bay is an ass.
09:27 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
SkyHeldUpByStar
Love leaves scars.
Farmington Hills, MI
Male - 28 Years Old
That's exactly what I thought when I saw that picture. Michael Bay. Yep.
09:33 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
nhoium
YNWA
Indy
Male - 27 Years Old
Why the hell would you want to see gun-toting turtles? We've already lost 'Mutant'. Do you really want to lose 'Ninja' too?
10:00 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
I don't want to be alive to witness this happen. Michael Bay is raping my childhood.

"Hey GUIZ!! You know what would be a great idea??!!11?! Teenage MUTANT Ninja Turtles as aliens tho!!!! Guizz???" - no one ever but Michael Bay
11:18 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
jwicklun
Never forget.
San Francisco, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
What's wrong with the original origin? Turtles get caught in ooze and mutate to a more human-like intelligent form. No need to fix what ain't broken.
11:56 AM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Next thing you know, they're going to make Splinter an actual person probably played by Shia Labeouf. Holy fuck I hate Michael Bay.
12:08 PM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
toothpaste
Michael Bay is an ass.
was wondering if you are a fan of the ninja turtles?
12:59 PM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
was wondering if you are a fan of the ninja turtles?
The mutant ones.
01:44 PM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
toothpaste
true that
02:06 PM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
Upstate New York
Male - 25 Years Old
I don't know. Granted, I'm just speculating, but Platinum Dunes has yet to release an 'event' picture. Even their biggest remake "Nightmare on Elm Street," was released during the film dump months. Not to mention their track record is absolutely terrible. I wouldn't count on this being a summer or winter release. But I could be wrong.

Yea, I didn't see the international gross. But I remember the movie being greeted with a collective shrug. You're right though, it was decent for the franchise.

Sure, but hitherto they've only released horror films. This is the exact opposite of that. Platinum Dunes has yet to release an unsuccessful film. They're batting one thousand. They've developed a very good relationship with a huge studio and paved the way to allow themselves to make an event picture of this sort. I think it's a very calculated effort and one that will pay off for them (though ultimately not fans) in the long run. I think it's already easy money whether they are aliens or not.
02:11 PM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Batting a 1000?

Are any of these movies remotely good?
03:10 PM on 03/20/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
Sure, but hitherto they've only released horror films. This is the exact opposite of that. Platinum Dunes has yet to release an unsuccessful film. They're batting one thousand. They've developed a very good relationship with a huge studio and paved the way to allow themselves to make an event picture of this sort. I think it's a very calculated effort and one that will pay off for them (though ultimately not fans) in the long run. I think it's already easy money whether they are aliens or not.
As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. They're great businessmen because they're able to repackage and remake everything into crap then sell it to the slack-jawed masses. This holds absolutely no promise whatsoever, as you hinted. Producers that have yet to produce a quality film, director that can't direct and changing the story that changes everything. There is no reason anyone should pay for this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos