Password

Album Review
The Dangerous Summer - Reach For The Sun Album Cover

The Dangerous Summer - Reach For The Sun

Reviewed by
The Dangerous Summer - Reach For The Sun
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: May 5, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
I’ve been waiting to write a review like this for two years, but I’ve been waiting ages for a record like Reach For The Sun. And just so we’re clear: I won’t be hyperbolizing. If I call AJ Perdomo the most improved songwriter of the last three years, well, that’s exactly what I mean. If I describe Reach For The Sun as not just a pop-punk opus, but as an opus opus, well, that’s exactly what I mean. You see, The Dangerous Summer have written such an endearing record that it’s hard for me to write anything. When attempting to break down something so dense, so layered, so intricate, I almost feel worthless. For once, let’s forget the Prose Olympics: Reach For The Sun is 2009’s most magnificent album.

Don’t feel bad if you wrote this band off already. If You Could Only Keep Me Alive lacks this record’s concoction of atmospheric guitars, cymbal-ridden drumming and bellowing vocals. On that note, Perdomo is the sole reason TDS have any chance at Super Stardom. As far as personal albums go, this one is intense. Think Valencia’s We All Need A Reason To Believe x 10: “I gave my things away / I called the people that I only see on holidays / This next year’s gonna burn a hole in me.” Those lyrics, from “Settle Down”, are the first to throw Perdomo’s dilemmas in our face. While it’s a fast song (as is the band’s custom), the guitars sit in the background, content to meander while Perdomo basks in the spotlight. But a pop-punk album can’t succeed with good singing alone. The hooks have to be there, and that’s a team sport. “Weathered” shows how tight knit the songwriting has become; each moment rushes towards the next self-referential climax. As the drums simultaneously keep the beat while also roaming free of it, Perdomo croons: “Well I’m an optimist / But only in a perfect world / I Think I’m too stained / With all the negativity / From all the people in my way.” Reach For The Sun wasn’t designed for careless sing-alongs.

I could drop one-liner after one-liner, but to love this album is to take it as a whole. Reach For The Sun sidesteps pop-punk’s problem with filler-heavy middle sections, as songs like “Symmetry” and “Surfaced” are what the band’s previous works wished to be. Perdomo’s voice is even more prevalent in the mixing here, and his inner Kenny Vasoli shines brightest. Then comes the one song we already know, “The Permanent Rain,” redone to a smooth sheen. Its lyrics were clearly a sign of things to come; this song is on par with the new material.

Nothing needs changing on Reach For The Sun. A taut, eleven song frame means all “so-so” material met an early demise. By keeping the tracklist digestible, we can spend more time with a winner like “This Is War.” The album’s standout, this song is a tantalizing mix of The Graduate and Valencia. Brainy guitars weave about with snare-galore, building and building into Perdomo’s flawlessly gruff delivery. His battles with apathy are inspiring and all too familiar: “I told the whole world I was spent / I came around when they needed me / And that’s just how I learned to give.” Instruments rocket upward and it becomes difficult to feel anything but supremely happy. Music is made to uplift, augment and appease: instant gratification that is everyone’s but still ours. Reach For The Sun’s true power lies in its universality.

Take Perdomo’s words and learn: “I really think for once that I can change / It’s really not that bad / I’m learning now that I was wrong in everything / And that’s the reason why / I think that I can grow.”

Recommended If You Like: Valencia, The Starting Line, just listen you fools, The Graduate, seriously fools listen

Old man, look at my lifewww.myspace.com/dangeroussummer

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 299
02:57 PM on 04/23/09
acornwe2
User Info.
great review, can't wait for my pre-order to arrive!
03:01 PM on 04/23/09
acornwe2
User Info.
oh, and the myspace link is missing an m in summer :)
03:02 PM on 04/23/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
oh, and the myspace link is missing an m in summer :)
hurrah! thanks
03:06 PM on 04/23/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Agreed completely. I am in love with this record. Best release of the year so far. I will probably write my own review for it just because it's deserving of as much praise as possible.

Buy this album. 10 bucks with free shipping from Hopeless Records.
03:07 PM on 04/23/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Whoa what a score! So amazingly excited for this
03:11 PM on 04/23/09
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Man I cannot wait to hear this.
03:12 PM on 04/23/09
acornwe2
User Info.
Agreed completely. I am in love with this record. Best release of the year so far. I will probably write my own review for it just because it's deserving of as much praise as possible.

Buy this album. 10 bucks with free shipping from Hopeless Records.
saw that deal yesterday, pre-ordered it yesterday...can't wait to hear it
03:18 PM on 04/23/09
anamericangod
User Info.
The last three tracks blow me the fuck away. I don't know the last time I heard an album with such a strong finish. You should have mentioned "Never Feel Alone" in the review. Easily the best song they've written, in my opinion.
03:18 PM on 04/23/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I'll listen to this when it drops now because of your review, but there are too many great albums so far this year. I doubt this is going to beat out Silversun/Grammatics/Manchester/Castledoor for me.
03:39 PM on 04/23/09
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
Wow, I'm definitely going to purchase this now.

Thanks for the stellar review.
03:44 PM on 04/23/09
bcguy21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For shame you didn't mention As Cities Burn...the best by FARRR in my opinion.
03:45 PM on 04/23/09
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
This review looks great, although I'm neither a huge fan of The Starting Line or Valencia. I have no be honest, the lyrics don't really move me all that much, from what's posted here. They seem pretty vague and generic.
03:48 PM on 04/23/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Great album, great review.
03:51 PM on 04/23/09
c_rob2700
believe that we have lost our eyes
User Info.
Wow, 95%.
I pre-ordered this the other day. Yet again, another fantstic band I found out about through AP.
This band has an extremely promising career in front of them

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version