AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
DAY26 - Forever In A Day Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 5
Production 6.75
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 58%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

DAY26 - Forever In A Day

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (04/24/09)
DAY26 - Forever in a Day
Release Date: April 14th, 2009
Record Label: Bad Boy Records/Atlantic Recording

If you think that people stopped watching Making the Band after the debauchery that was O-Town, you'd be sadly mistaken. There are at least fifteen or sixteen viewers, myself included, who are still currently part of Diddy's world of NO BITCHASSNESS. Although, if you have watched it this past season, and I assume the vast majority of the free world hasn't, we've been blessed with plenty of bitchassness to tide us over for quite some time. But, in between girl fights (what up Q and Bryan!), tempter tantrums (what up Q!), the disbanding of Danity Kane and the shameless plugs for Diddy's new album Last Train to Paris, DAY26 put out their sophomore album, Forever in a Day.

To provide the briefest of history - Making the Band was switched over to MTV under the supervision of one, Sean Combs. Just as with most shows on MTV, no one really watched. It detailed the ambitious goal of creating international pop stars. The first band, aptly named Da Band, was the biggest clusterfuck you've ever seen. With fights every episode, a man who couldn't pronounce his own name (what up Dylan!) and even a dude who still sucked his own thumb, that train stopped faster than it started and Diddy regrouped and went back to da drawing board. Fast forward and you have a 5 piece girl group, Danity Kane, and a 5 piece male group, DAY26. Danity Kane has sold millions of records with two number one albums, to date. DAY26 has sold about eleven copies of both their records.

So, how was their sophomore album? I mean, they can't be that bad, they at least made it to a second album, right? Eh, not so fast. While Diddy will plug them as the best male R&B group out now, it's not saying much since there aren't any other R&B groups out there now. They win by default. Now, with that said, they aren't half-bad singers. They have decent voices and when put together, even without mixing/editing/autotune, they can hold a tune. Being a reality TV junkie, I decided to get this album. From the first note, I knew I was gonna like it. That was until I got past number five. Once it hits that point, the album is downhill. And by downhill, I mean a runaway freight-train couldn't get to the bottom faster. "Just Getting Started" kicks the album off and is instantly catchy and powerful. Their single "Imma Put It On Her (featuring Yung Joc)" is just as hooky and radio-friendly. I love bumping that jam with the windows in my '87 Maxima rolled down. "Shawty Wats Up (featuring T-Pain)" is full of the assumed vocoder effects, but it's effective in the same right. "Stadium Music" is an anthem of a song that makes the first five songs an appetizing preface. However, the next ten songs could be interchanged with one another, lacking any distinct quality whatsoever. I found myself skipping forward ten times until the album was back to track one, where I listened to the first five songs in repeating succession. As soon as track six came around, I either went back to one or I turned it off. If R&B groups did EPs, then the first five tracks would surely rock.

In the end, what I had hoped would be a solid club album turned into a teasing five track work-up, followed by ten sappy ballads that would make Luther Vandross cringe in his grave. MTV would be wise to cancel this show, if they haven't already, and the remaining fifteen viewers would be wise to find other trash TV to watch. Something more entertaining, like the Duel II, for example. As it goes without saying, for me at least, I'd probably watch another season of MTB, but I certainly won't shell out any money again.

Take A Listen If You Like Lou Pearlman, PDiddy, franchised Making the Band episodes, bitch fights from dudes, bitch fights from girls, shameless plugging by Diddy, lots of black outfits and crotch-grabbing

www.day-26.com

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
10:25 PM on 05/04/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Great review, Jason. I might actually check this band out.
07:02 AM on 05/05/09
jaywarden1
Jay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hahahaha i laughed so hard when i saw this on here, because even though I'm a huge metal/hardcore head I actually love these guys (though I am certainly NOT one of the 11 who actually paid for an album)

both their albums are absolutely horrible, but they're just so bad that it makes them amazing

this one was especially terrible, but "so good" and "your heels" get heavy rotation on my itunes haha
07:53 AM on 05/05/09
SirPapariko
User Info.
10:33 AM on 05/05/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
Great review, Jason. I might actually check this band out.
Check out those first five songs. Track one has a nasty beat and their radio single is mad catchy. Glad you liked it, Seth.
10:27 AM on 05/09/09
lucygray
often imitated, never duplicated
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When I watched them live on the finale, their songs sounded like a bunch of dudes competing with each other for the spotlight and it was just a mess. This review was on the money!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests