AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mineral - The Power of Failing Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 95%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.92
Musicianship 9.67
Lyrics 10
Production 9.42
Creativity 9.67
Lasting Value 9.92
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 98%
Inside AP.net

Mineral - The Power of Failing

Reviewed by: circatbs (04/24/09)
Mineral - The Power of Failing
Record Label: Crank!
Release Date: January 28, 1997

Mineral were basically the epitome of the "emo-indie" genre. Their music features powerful yet out-of-tune vocals, schizophrenic guitars, hard hitting drums, and heavy bass. With their 1997 debut, The Power Of Failing, they nearly perfected the genre.

Vocalist Chris Simpson has a knack for creating deep, emotional lyrics and then delivering them in the best way possible. This is evident in the opener, "Five, Eight, & Ten." As soon as this song starts you know what to expect from the album. Simpson delivers personal lyrics such as "Now I wonder if I can even move or breathe, without disappointing someone" in a near perfect manner, as he allows the listener to see into his mind and what he is thinking. His vocals are relatively tame in this song, but later in the album they truly explode and Simpson shows what he can really do.

"Slower" is easily the best track on the album, and the best of Mineral's career. It starts out with a slow riff and a steady drum beat, and then quickly after, Simpson begins to serenade you with his spectacular lyrics and vocal abilities. The song really picks up when the guitars and drumming start to go berserk, Simpson raises the volume and intensity of his vocals. The underlying bass gives "Slower" so much more depth, and makes it an all around "fuller" song, for lack of a better term. The most powerful part of the song is about halfway through, when Simpson exclaims "But people like you and me never get that peace / It comes from denying that everything is so screwed up / It's so screwed up!" The way Simpson yells "It's so screwed up!" showcases what he is really trying to convey with Mineral's music, about how everything about it is passionate and emotional. The vocals stop with about two minutes left in the song, but it keeps going strong as the insane guitars lead it to the beautiful end.

"80-37" is one of the "happier" songs on the album, with it's gleeful vocals and simple guitars. It's quickly followed by the somber "If I Could," which is a six minute ballad that shows true passion throughout. The Power Of Failing has several long songs, the longest being "Silver," clocking in just short of seven minutes, and there are only three songs on the ten track LP that are under four minutes. This is an excellent thing, because these tracks need to be enjoyed for as long as possible.

There are so many good qualities about Mineral. Everything that they did with The Power Of Failing was done correctly, and it packs a pretty powerful punch. They will forever be remembered, especially because of this landmark of an album.

Recommended If You LikeTexas Is The Reason; The Gloria Record; music

myspace.com/mineral

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
10:29 AM on 05/04/09
raychull
I've Been Forgotten & So Have You
User Info.
such a good CD.
10:38 PM on 05/04/09
TheBaroness
User Info.
um, I wouldn't exactly call 80-37 a 'happy' song by any means...

Personally, I think EndSerenading is superior, but this remains a great, classic album.
06:53 AM on 05/05/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I KNEW opening this review meant I'd see a post by you. Haha.
06:54 AM on 05/05/09
raychull
I've Been Forgotten & So Have You
User Info.
I KNEW opening this review meant I'd see a post by you. Haha.
Yesss, hahah. /predictable.
09:08 AM on 05/05/09
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
great CD.
03:20 AM on 05/06/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
I have to disagree with the very first sentence, but you got everything else right.
04:14 PM on 05/06/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i love your username. wish i had thought of that.
02:55 PM on 02/13/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Great album. The lyrics deserve that 9.5 for sure.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests