Username
Password
Recommended News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recommended
Inside AP.net

Staff Recommendations (12/18/05)

Posted by: Rohan Kohli (12/18/05)
The staff recommendations for the week can be found below (click "Read More" to view all of them):

Rohan: The Static Age, Paper Tigers, and The Jealous Sound.

Caleb: Remember Sammy Jenkis

Drew: Modern Life Is War.

Scott: With all this hype about a certain new electro-indie rock band, you all should go listen to The Faint instead.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 77.
09:27 AM on 12/18/05
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Yumm, the Jealous Sound. Are they ever going to come out with a new one?
09:29 AM on 12/18/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by Mitch2742
Yumm, the Jealous Sound. Are they ever going to come out with a new one?

Yah, they're gonna start recording in January w/Tim O'Heir :)
09:32 AM on 12/18/05
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Cool.

Is The Static Age any good? I can't find their cd my usual ways

*hint hint*
09:34 AM on 12/18/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by Mitch2742
Cool.

Is The Static Age any good? I can't find their cd my usual ways

*hint hint*

Haha, would I recommend them if they weren't?!?!?!?

It's kinda like The Jealous Sound but a little more 80's ish. Listen to the tracks on MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/thestaticage) and let me know what you think.
09:36 AM on 12/18/05
andrewiodm
User Info.
is static age is amazing.... yup
09:37 AM on 12/18/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
The Static Age won Fuse's Oven Fresh last week...I find that pretty amazing, considering they beat out Melee, Street Drum Corps, Ludacris, etc etc.
09:39 AM on 12/18/05
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
=-o.

i want this album.
09:40 AM on 12/18/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Josh Ritter: Hello Starling was a wonderful cd and I'm excited for his new one due out in Spring of '06. Go download the near 10-minute epic 'Thin Blue Flame' that will be on that cd, available at joshritter.com.
Favorite lyric: "You need faith for the same reasons that it's so hard to find".

Iron & Wine: For some reason, I only got around to purchasing his Bonnarroo performance last night. Of course, I listened to the entire set about 3 times straight since then. I fell in love with The Trapeze Swinger all over again.
Favorite lyrics: Please, remember me / Seldomly / In the car behind the carnival / My hand between your knees / You turn from me / And said, "The trapeze act was wonderful / But never meant to last"

Ray LaMontagne: Go look around this forums for an entire cd's worth of unreleased songs known as the Green Demos. Ray's unique voice + an abundance of harmonica + possibly even more soul than his official debut = a darn good time.

That's all I have for you this week, folks.
09:42 AM on 12/18/05
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Oh yeah, and here are my rec's:

The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth. Damn, I never liked The Strokes before, but this album is really fun.

Portugal.The Man - Waiters: You Vultures!. I definitely hear some Circa Survive/Mars Volta shit in them. Great stuff.

Paulson - All At Once. Second/third week in a row I've recommended them.
09:46 AM on 12/18/05
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My Recs:

Albums
Valencia - This Could be a Possibility

Songs
Comeback Kid - "Wake the Dead"
The Early November - "The Mountain Range in my Living Room"
09:48 AM on 12/18/05
TimeAsIdeology
Strongarmin Hos Since '86
User Info.
Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn is an absolutely essential post rock album, one of the best to be released this year. The highs and lows that the album goes through are entrancing.

Ed Gein - Everyone always raves about Dillinger Escape Plan and Ion Dissonance as far as the tech metal sound, and while that's rightfully so, Ed Gein has put out a spectactular and crushing album by the name of Judas Goats And Diesel Eaters.

The Good Life - There's an entirely acoustic version of Album Of The Year floating around, and you'd all do well to check that out, as it sounds terrific in that format.
09:50 AM on 12/18/05
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by TimeAsIdeology
Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn is an absolutely essential post rock album, one of the best to be released this year. The highs and lows that the album goes through are entrancing.

Ed Gein - Everyone always raves about Dillinger Escape Plan and Ion Dissonance as far as the tech metal sound, and while that's rightfully so, Ed Gein has put out a spectactular and crushing album by the name of Judas Goats And Diesel Eaters.

The Good Life - There's an entirely acoustic version of Album Of The Year floating around, and you'd all do well to check that out, as it sounds terrific in that format.

Good recs.
09:57 AM on 12/18/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Originally Posted by TimeAsIdeology

Didn't that come with the cd when it was first released? I can't remember. I believe bought it too late. Any suggestions on where to get it?
09:57 AM on 12/18/05
Jesse2
Aka Jesticles
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the jealous sound, nice!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives