AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
U2 - No Line On The Horizon Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.14
Musicianship 3.93
Lyrics 3.14
Production 3.64
Creativity 3.39
Lasting Value 2.82
Reviewer Tilt 3.25
Average: 33%
Inside AP.net

U2 - No Line On The Horizon

Reviewed by: xtianheadbanger (04/30/09)
U2No Line on the Horizon
Record Label: Interscope Records
Release Date: March 3, 2009

Asked about being the biggest band, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin replied, “And the other reason why we do well is because U2 is still on holiday. So…they’re back in March. So, you know, as soon as they come back, we drop down the ladder a bit.” Fans have been waiting for ages for this latest release from U2, dubbed the biggest band in the world by critics and fans alike. The question remains, is it good? No Line On The Horizon is easily the best U2 release since Achtung Baby, exploring issues of social justice and faith, featuring characteristic riffs from Edge and vocals from Bono, and some of the most beautiful lyrics U2 have ever written.

The album opens up with the title track, exploding with Bono’s vocals. “Magnificent” follows, one of the most overt praise songs U2 has ever written. Here, however, U2 copy themselves, the bit leading to the chorus sounding familiar to another U2 song, “Where The Streets Have No Name.” “Moment of Surrender” is like any ballad U2 have ever written, similar to the hit “One.” The album picks up and slows down interchangeably from here. The single, “Get On Your Boots,” is the fastest track on the album, very similar to “Elevation” or “Vertigo.”

Bono can still sing. His vocals soar on “FEZ- Being Born,” showing the middle-aged rock star has not regressed at all. The Edge flexes his muscles throughout the album, notably on “Breathe.” Additionally, he lends backup vocals throughout No Line. It’s a beautiful thing to see a band that has been around as long as U2 still making some of the best music around.

U2’s lyrics on No Line on the Horizon accentuate the musicianship, revealing the lyrical genius of Bono. “I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight” features lyrics about revolution and rioting (“The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear”) and the song is easily the best on the album. Even cryptic songs such as “Get On Your Boots” are beautiful.

The album is very similar to Viva La Vida, evoking the same emotions from me with soaring vocals and hopeful lyrics. U2 have returned to their place in the world and with No Line shows they can hold that position for a while. While No Line is really nothing new, it is nonetheless a beautiful album for fans from all different genres to enjoy. I may take flak for enjoying this album as much as I do, and perhaps it is due to the soft spot for U2 for their masterpieces Achtung and The Joshua Tree, but No Line is a release I will enjoy for many years.

Highlights"Unknown Caller"; "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"; "FEZ- Being Born"

Check out U2 on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:01 PM on 05/06/09
Super Norg
User Info.
im gonna have to disagree with you on this one... i was kinda disappointed with this record. It didnt grasp me the way U2 usually does.
09:35 PM on 05/06/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
this is probably my least favorite u2 cd.
12:40 PM on 05/07/09
UpperNinety
Aretha Franklin's Hat
User Info.
their new music is freaking annoying. Their old stuff is way better...I mean when it was still the 1990's
08:48 PM on 05/07/09
xtianheadbanger
Jedi Knight
User Info.
Haha and I recognized this. I would agree their earlier stuff is better, but alas! I must stand up for this album. There's a 50% discrepancy here between the member and my ratings. Funny. It took time for me to like it as much as I did.
09:35 AM on 05/10/09
UpperNinety
Aretha Franklin's Hat
User Info.
its just not the same. I gave the cd a listen and its just not doing anything for me except annoy me, especially get on your boots.
07:22 AM on 05/11/09
xtianheadbanger
Jedi Knight
User Info.
Now a 63 % difference. Hm.
10:06 AM on 05/12/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fuck the haters. U2 are legends.
10:17 AM on 05/12/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
91%? Really?
11:55 AM on 05/12/09
leftapart
User Info.
I probably only gave this CD one quick listen, if that, back when it first came out. I came to the conclusion that the actual music and instrumentation was exceptional, and that Bonos' voice was pure annoying. He doesn't fit in with this stream of music. Bono will always be a legend, but I am yet to figure out why.
02:40 PM on 05/12/09
ExplodingStereo
User Info.
its just not the same. I gave the cd a listen and its just not doing anything for me except annoy me, especially get on your boots.
That song is so unbelievably annoying. There's nothing to it, much like the record itself. It's a very bland record all over, the first two songs were pretty good then it goes downhill fast. No matter how legendary U2 are now, this album just plain old sucks.
08:52 AM on 05/16/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Fuck the haters. U2 are legends.
Legends who haven't released a good album since 91.
09:16 AM on 05/16/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Legends who haven't released a good album since 91.
In your opinion
09:53 AM on 05/16/09
UpperNinety
Aretha Franklin's Hat
User Info.
we aren't haters...we just don't think their new stuff is that great.
12:15 PM on 05/16/09
1josh1
Super User
User Info.
we aren't haters...we just don't think their new stuff is that great.
sure the new stuff is a lot more experimental, I sure wasn't a fan of it the first listen (at least until Breathe), but two or three listens in, I couldn't put it down, the entire cd was stuck in my head for 2 weeks straight. Obviously not their best CD to date, but nevertheless, and amazing one
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests