Password

Album Review

Bayonets - Wishes & Wishes Album Cover

Bayonets - Wishes & Wishes

Reviewed by
BayonetsWishes & Wishes
Record Label: Walnut Tree Records
Release Date: Available Now
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The life of an album reviewer at AP.net can be explained in one word: lists. Each week and every week we are bombarded with bands from every country and every genre. They all want a review, and by God it better be positive! It’s difficult to wade through this information due to its size and scope, so I guess it’s fate that decides these things. Or, at least it was fate that drew me to the noisy rock of England’s Bayonets. By chance I had seen them discussed in one of my favorite AP.net blogs and, low and behold, they turned up in our listing soon after. Without listening to a song I requested Wishes & Wishes. Chances are, you know where this is going. I’ll say it anyway: it was the best decision I made that week.

You know, after all these reviews, I still don’t understand my need to narrate each musical experience. Maybe it’s because I believe a reviewer should seem human and conversational. Or maybe it’s because I’m not particularly good at this whole (faux) journalism thing. Those are possible reasons, sure, but how can I not be a normal dude when a band like Bayonets is pouring heart and soul and teenage-isms into my welcoming ears? Thom Craig’s emotional tales of love and loss and “Why ME?” are hackneyed and new all at once. We’ve been there and we connect, but what is it that keeps us from thinking, “F**k dude, we know: life is tough.”? Well, that’s a complicated question, despite its juvenile wording. The only reason we connect to songs about breakups is due to its subtleties. Writing the first story about something is easy. Writing the millionth story about something in an interesting manner is excruciatingly difficult.

Bayonets is inexplicably tied to Brand New, mostly because Thom Craig lists them as a major lyrical influence. But don’t get it twisted, Lacey and the Bandits have never written a grungy rocker like “Ciao Roma.” The song’s shouted backing vocals and complete disregard for overt melody is inspiring. I mean, how do you get people to sing along when you’re not singing? These songs don’t necessarily run any gamut, a favorite phrase of many reviewers, but they do induce listener action. From the first stuttering riff of opener “We Wish These Snakes Were Your Arms” to the depressing tonal qualities of “My Stupid Mirror”, Bayonets require involvement. (Get up and move already!) There’re four of them, but there may as well be ten million. Off-kilter sounds develop out of nowhere and we’re forced to search for focal points. But if I find one that’s different than yours, well, that’s ok. We’ll each feel fulfilled regardless.

There’s too many ways to judge Wishes & Wishes, so I just won’t. It’s more than an album from some “up and comer.” Wishes & Wishes is the statement of a lifetime. And to think I left such a thing to chance.

Recommended If You Like: Manchester Orchestra, Copy Haho, i'm stupid but listen, Foals (kinda), fools are right from time to time

act and functionwww.myspace.com/bayonetshowl

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:01 PM on 05/01/09
c_rob2700
User Info.
Another great review that makes me want to listen to this. You keep my wallet empty Blake
06:22 PM on 05/01/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
[myspace]55609093[/myspace]

this documentary rules. And he talks about Brand New, too.
04:17 AM on 05/02/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Your reviews are very well written, and make me want to check out the bands.

Listened to Barcelona based on your recommendation earlier this week, great band.
12:48 PM on 05/02/09
TomBeck182
Every Routine Party
User Info.
thanks for this brilliant review Blake. I run Walnut Tree Records and I'm glad that one of releases is being so well received. This band are incredibly talented for their age and will only get better.
12:50 PM on 05/02/09
TomBeck182
Every Routine Party
User Info.
If anyone is interested in a copy then you can buy it at http://walnuttreerecords.bigcartel.com and I offer free postage to anywhere in the world.
05:06 PM on 05/02/09
thomas e c
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
thanks blake!
glad you enjoyed it man. x
06:56 AM on 05/05/09
TomBeck182
Every Routine Party
User Info.
anyone else checked this out?
02:53 PM on 05/27/09
MarkAndros
User Info.
I just bought this
05:22 AM on 06/08/09
TomBeck182
Every Routine Party
User Info.
thanks Mark, I hope you enjoy it!
08:25 PM on 02/18/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
anyone else checked this out?
Got my copy (+2 free) today, awesome stuff. You're doing a great job with how you deal with customers, some incredible music on your label for such a small price, and stuff I otherwise couldn't afford to get shipped to Australia. Hope it's not setting you back too much...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos