|« Back to Articles|
Great Glass Elevator (David)
1. Sufjan Stevens - Come On! Feel the Illinoise!: Sounds like the result of a musical genius getting his hands on a high school band. This is the perfect sountrack to nostalgia, if that makes any sense. Just light some incense, pull out some old photographs and put on this record and you'll see exactly what I mean. Favorite Song: Chicago
2. Eisley - Room Noises: Basically, I'm just in love with all the DuPree girls, and so I'm putting their album on here in hopes that one of them will read it and I'll have a chance with them... ANY of them! Okay, it's actually an awesome record. It's high time the world catches up to the buzz on these guys. Favorite Song: Trolley Wood
3. Steel Train - Twilight Tales from the Praries of the Sun: There's a song on here about smoking hashish with Scarlett Johannson. What more do you want? Plus they are the best live band on earth (who started in the last five years) right now. Favorite Song: Better Love
4. Death Cab For Cutie - Plans: My favorite DC4C record by far. And I LOVE the other ones. Favorite Song: The Whole Album, but I really really love Marching Bands of Manhattan.
5. Jack's Mannequin - Everything in Transit: Happy Music! And Tommy Lee playing drums! Sounds a lot like my life! Favorite Song: Holiday from Real
6. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute: The fench garbled vermillion seashore violatropicious miscreants were pistalicode. For all you know those could be sampled Mars Volta lyrics. They tell us it's a concept album but there are so many made-up words and bizarre twists, who the hell knows? All I know is that the music gets my blood pumping like mad. Favorite Song: L'Via L'Vasquez
7. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning: I like the new An Angle CD because... erm... I mean.... I like the new Bright Eyes album. I got to see his tour in support of "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn", which I didn't much like, and it was so weird to see Conor Oberst jumping on amps and screaming into the mic like a hardcore singer. That has nothing to do with "I'm Wide Awake", I just felt like talking about it. I saw him perform several songs off IWAIM at a show about a year before the album was released, and the entire crowd was hanging on every single word, cheering at the end of each line of the songs. They translated onto this record quite nicely. Favorite Song: Lua
8. Copeland - In Motion: I got this CD for free when my band visited the Militia Group office. I honestly wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly blown away, especially by the Queen-esque vibes of 'Kite Song' and 'Sleep'... but my favorite cut is still the one that rocks the hardest. Favorite Song: No One Really Wins
9. Jimmy Eat World - Stay on My Side Tonight: While I thouroughly enjoyed 'Futures', it was great to see JEW hark back to the days of my all time favorite record, 'Clarity'. You'd have to be anti-Semitic to hate THIS record! Sorry, couldn't resist. Favorite Song: Disintigration
10. The Blood Brothers - Crimes: Just brace yourself, open your mind, and listen to this. It's not for everyone. But it's most definately for me. Favorite Song: Peacock Skeleton with Crooked Feathers
Great Glass Elevator
10:50 PM on 12/22/05
i luv david, seriously dude i missed seeing you guys play biola this semester cause i was at the contemporary music center... we need to chat about music... rock it! ur fan and friend...dave herrmann
ps... im me when ya read this daveydave182
09:07 AM on 12/23/05
a pretty decent list. i wish more people would have voiced their reasons like he did, even in this sort of attention deficit fashion.
02:45 AM on 12/24/05
i SWORE crimes was 2k5. can i give it to neon blonde instead? that was an amazing record as well.
02:41 PM on 12/26/05
very cool list. I agree with your thoughts on the DC4C album, I loved Transatlanticism and didnt see how this album was even going to come close to anything as cool. It did take me a few listens, but now I love Plans just as much. Nice job.