Less Than Jake
New Found Glory
AFI
Starting Line
Arctic Monkies (just to see the hype)
Need to Breathe (fuckin awesome record)
Hit the Lights
DMX

And whoever the next big POP star is......

Virgin Records

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
06:07 AM on 12/23/05
TommyGunn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what horrible taste in music. Shows why A&R at major labels is so bad.

John Butler Trio - nothing wrong with that
Relient K - so, so boring
Cartel - bland, bland, bland
Over It - eh, not my thing but I wont critisize this pick
All American Rejects - average
Hillary Duff - a joke I hope
MxPx - pop punk should never make your top 10
Acceptance - speaking of borning
Goo Goo Dolls (live CD) - what?
Story of the Year - better than expected, but come on
09:44 AM on 12/23/05
MonkeyBars
is awesome.
User Info.
Why should Pop-punk never be in the top 10? There's no reasoning whatsoever behind that, except that you're a pretentious ass.
01:14 PM on 12/23/05
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Originally Posted by TommyGunn

you really should kill yourself...

or maybe just not be an asshole
07:13 PM on 12/23/05
GAD_guy
the sea of doubts
User Info.
what a tool.
06:47 PM on 12/24/05
LTJ182
User Info.
Originally Posted by TommyGunn

well, guess what, im that guy and those are my picks

hillary duff-she sold like 4 million copies..thats keeps lights on and jobs at major labels who have millions of dollars in rent and overhead. bands that are "cool" like the bravery and sell 50k records with a HUGE investment get people fired.....welcome to the biz dude

and the goo goo dolls...that band is incredible and a CAREER band. that shit is good.

cartel record is genius..listen to the production segue between q/a and if you kiss it, then you shouldnt even judge anything. (hint: its as simple as counting to FOUR)

mxpx...comeback record

relient k-find me a band that can combine the acoustic and plugged in sound and make it sound better (guess what, its not fallout boy)

over it-i signed the band to virgin, that shit has hits

acceptance-its spelled BORING, get it right. Chalk that up as a huge columbia screw up, along with the other 34743847394 botches going on in that system.

whats YOUR picks?
then we can talk
09:41 PM on 12/24/05
GAD_guy
the sea of doubts
User Info.
Originally Posted by LTJ182

hillary duff-she sold like 4 million copies..thats keeps lights on and jobs at major labels who have millions of dollars in rent and overhead. bands that are "cool" like the bravery and sell 50k records with a HUGE investment get people fired.....welcome to the biz dude

this is why i hate major labels. bands that actually are good and have INTEGRITY (well the bravery isn't the BEST example, but they will do) are looked down upon becuase they don't make big bucks. this encourages the labels to keep force-feeding the american youth watered-down talentless shit like hillary duff. she may be hot but she can't write a song or even hold a tune without pro-tools. so, in essence, the dirty competition going on between major labels forces them to spew out mass amounts of shit to stay competitive. luckily, a select few bands that actually have talent are able to succeed on majors and save them from losing all credibility whatsoever. but for every death cab for cutie there are about 10 hillary duffs.
02:25 PM on 12/25/05
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
User Info.
way to go w/ over it & acceptance. do good things for them would ya'?
--Jake
www.hxchairstylist.com
02:28 PM on 12/25/05
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
User Info.

and the goo goo dolls...that band is incredible and a CAREER band. that shit is good.

cartel record is genius..listen to the production segue between q/a and if you kiss it, then you shouldnt even judge anything. (hint: its as simple as counting to FOUR)

mxpx...comeback record

relient k-find me a band that can combine the acoustic and plugged in sound and make it sound better (guess what, its not fallout boy)

over it-i signed the band to virgin, that shit has hits

acceptance-its spelled BORING, get it right. Chalk that up as a huge columbia screw up, along with the other 34743847394 botches going on in that system.

whats YOUR picks?
then we can talk

as long as you can back your shit up, then thats all that matters. i'm with ya dude. hit me up on hxchairstylist.com and we can talk about some other good music. or just view my blog on www.myspace.com/hxchairstylist (blog 7 best of...)
09:37 PM on 12/25/05
LTJ182
User Info.
Originally Posted by GAD_guy
this is why i hate major labels. bands that actually are good and have INTEGRITY (well the bravery isn't the BEST example, but they will do) are looked down upon becuase they don't make big bucks. this encourages the labels to keep force-feeding the american youth watered-down talentless shit like hillary duff. she may be hot but she can't write a song or even hold a tune without pro-tools. so, in essence, the dirty competition going on between major labels forces them to spew out mass amounts of shit to stay competitive. luckily, a select few bands that actually have talent are able to succeed on majors and save them from losing all credibility whatsoever. but for every death cab for cutie there are about 10 hillary duffs.

every act is looked upon as great when it signs...sure there are soooome doubts, and for some bands they are hilary duff and get 487239273823 buck spent on them, and is force fed. its the general public who get it or not.

i understand what you are saying completely. trust me, but whats cool and what sells is two diff things. major labels are a huge overhead biz dawg. gotta do what ya gotta do to stay in the black numbers.

but God damn, if everyone at FBR didnt get a 5k bonus....they got shit going right and should be used as a biz model for many people (PIGGY BACKING)
10:57 PM on 12/25/05
GAD_guy
the sea of doubts
User Info.
every act is looked upon as great when it signs...sure there are soooome doubts, and for some bands they are hilary duff and get 487239273823 buck spent on them, and is force fed. its the general public who get it or not.

i understand what you are saying completely. trust me, but whats cool and what sells is two diff things. major labels are a huge overhead biz dawg. gotta do what ya gotta do to stay in the black numbers.

but God damn, if everyone at FBR didnt get a 5k bonus....they got shit going right and should be used as a biz model for many people (PIGGY BACKING)

at least you actually seem to be in it for the music, not just the money.
01:06 PM on 12/26/05
superplaid
User Info.
my only complaint is that the goo goo dolls cd isnt even a 2005 release.... it was released november 2004....
02:04 PM on 12/26/05
LTJ182
User Info.
Originally Posted by superplaid
my only complaint is that the goo goo dolls cd isnt even a 2005 release.... it was released november 2004....

same with relient k but didnt get worked till 05
04:22 PM on 12/27/05
TheJon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know I'm a bit late on this, but The Hilary Duff record... I lthought the remix of Come Clean was really solid, but the rest was a bit of a let down... especially the tracks she did w/ the Madden kids. Wake Up was a joke. It's such a Good Charlotte song, & Good Charlotte was never known for their songwriting. The guitars are so thin, & the production is just cheesy.

I really don't understand how you can put her in the studio w/ John Shanks, & then hand her career over to her boyfriend & his goofy brother.

But that's just me. I don't guess I'm the target demographic.

Jon.
02:57 PM on 12/28/05
leatherface
User Info.
mr a&r -

you keep talking about sales and the biz, the biz, the biz.. and i understand that it's the biz you're in and you need to pay your rent and all but.. you've got bad taste in music, period.

hillary duff - record sales do not make good artists.. songs, vocals and lyrics do

this thread was supposed to be about good records.. not sales

congrats on paying your rent tho.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums