AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Promise of Redemption - When the Flowers Bloom... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9.75
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.44
Musicianship 8.94
Lyrics 9.63
Production 8.75
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 9.44
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Promise of Redemption - When the Flowers Bloom...

Reviewed by: Kevin Lazaroff (05/05/09)
Promise of Redemption - When the Flowers Bloom...
Record Label: I Surrender Records
Release Date: December 4, 2007 (Digital), January 22, 2008 (Physical)

Simplicity is bliss. There is no need for any sugar coating or extras. When done correctly, the most beautiful things in life are simple. Baseball is simple. Much of Picasso's artwork is simple. Love is simple. People often get lost in complexity, completely forgetting about the focus and purpose of their work. There is nothing more enjoyable (and at the same time, upsetting) than sitting down and listening to 13 well written songs that a young man has put his heart and soul into.

When the Flowers Bloom... is a solo acoustic album written, produced and performed by Shane Henderson (lead singer of Valencia) and is the follow up to work Lights That Flicker Will Surely Fade. All thirteen songs are written for and dedicated to Henderson's girlfriend, Dana Leigh Burrell, who passed away after a freak accident. From what I've read, this record was never intended to be released. However after realizing how much these songs helped him cope with tragedy, Henderson decided to release the album in hopes of aiding in the resoution of other peoples' miseries. I can't help but think that When the Flowers Bloom... has done just that.

Before diving into the analysis of individual songs, it is important to point out that this album is not background music. True appreciation of When the Flowers Bloom... can only be achieved by sitting down by yourself and listening. I myself find myself only putting this record on when I have time to listen to it in its entirety. I see it as a musical scrapbook of his memories of the late Dana Burrell. A scrapbook from infancy all the way up to the funeral.

"Getting Through" starts the album off on a chilling note, bringing in excerpts and samples from many of the songs on the album. It is very tough to describe and must be experienced first hand. Although only forty-six seconds long, it sets the tone for the whole album. Next, "How Fast" begins and instantly clicks because of its good lyrics and strong chorus. "From the Second I Wake Up" would be considered the single of the album, and for good reason. I must say that even though it was written before Burrell's passing, it is one of the most depressing songs on the record.

"Dana baby girl you've got me missing you all day long
From the second I wake up to the second my day is done
With every breath I take in
Ill swear on every inch of my lungs
I'm with you"

After hundreds of listens, "Oh the Way" seems to be a song about a memorable night making love with Ms. Burrell. It is a beautifully put together song. For any fans of Valencia's "Where Did You Go?" that haven't heard of Promise of Redemption, "Remember the First Day" is a "must listen". Much of the bridge and pre-chorus melody in "Where Did You Go?" were borowed from "Remember the First Day." The title track follows, and the emotion and sincerity is evident in every line and chord.

By this point, I am deeply disturbed, but also hypnotically engrossed. I can't get out of the mood that Henderson's deeply moving songs have put me in. Now that is art.

"Live in Love" makes me cry. There is almost nothing more that I can say about my favorite song on the record. Henderson's vocals are filled with such sorrow and angst that it becomes nearly impossible to hold back tears. "Rough Roads Lead to the Stars" changes up the whole feel of the record if only for six minutes. There is a very weird eerie vibe in the intro, followed by a chorus with a strange sort of melodic flow.

"Dana Leigh" is a very important track to bring up because it seems to reveal Henderson's acceptance with the tragedy that has so drastically changed his life. However, this attitude quickly changes as Henderson admits to how much he misses, and can't get over Burrell's passing in "It Just Takes Time." Finally, "Trace Those Steps" concludes the album. It is a song about the where he met the love of his life. The song builds very well and ends with a beautiful combination and overlapping background vocals.

Never have I found it so depressing to listen to a record that I cannot personally relate to. I can feel the sincerity in Shane Henderson's voice as he sings about the loss of Dana Leigh Burrell. And while the guitar work may not be perfect, When The Flowers Bloom... looks past it with great lyrics and excellent vocals (both leading and backing). There is nothing simpler or more genuine than a man with a guitar, a voice, and a story to tell. "One thing about the road is that is opens up your eyes"

Recommended If You Lifeacoustic; "Hear You Me" by Jimmy Eat World, Valencia

Check out Promise of Redemption on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
10:24 PM on 05/20/09
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
Yeah, it's almost hard for me to listen to this album thinking about the personal connection the lyrics Shane wrote to "get through."
10:32 PM on 05/20/09
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
one of the most beautiful albums i've ever heard
10:36 PM on 05/20/09
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
"and this is the very first time
that i have been afraid to go home
for fear that i might fall apart
from this foreign feeling that i'm completely alone"
- it just takes time

my favorite verse on the album
07:18 AM on 05/21/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, good album.

Why is musicianship so low though? I would have musicianship highest, and production lower..
09:11 AM on 05/21/09
jimjam32
www.myspace.com/withhonorsmusic
User Info.
Quote:

Never have I found it so depressing to listen to a record that I cannot personally relate to.

Trust me, it's a wonderful thing that you can't relate. This album is beautiful though.

i can relate.
09:50 AM on 05/21/09
Miss Heartcore
If I look back, I am lost.
User Info.
Absolutely one of my favorite albums of all time. After losing 3 friends in a span of a year, this album resonates strongly with me.

It's more than experiencing the pain of death, but it's about experiencing the joy of love.
09:52 AM on 05/21/09
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
This is such a great album
11:13 AM on 05/21/09
HometownHero
User Info.
Makes me cry every time I hear this beautiful record
02:20 PM on 05/21/09
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
I've been playing this cd all week! I can't listen to it when I drive, though, because I tend to start crying during certain songs. I love this album so much.
06:51 PM on 05/21/09
birtcho
is...
User Info.
i havent been able to listen to the whole thing. im going to have to
07:23 PM on 05/21/09
lovesintheerror
User Info.
This album is amazing

I wouldn't believe anyone if they told me "Live in Love" didn't strike up any emotions in them..the last minute and a half is incredible

Shane is the man
08:12 PM on 05/21/09
joeylksmacarena
shake the graves
User Info.
the first track gives me chills every single time i hear it, but in a good way.

amazing album, can't say anything bad about it.
08:39 PM on 05/21/09
ilovemae07
is s-i-c-k of my meaningless life
User Info.
I adore this album. It gives me the chills every time I listen to it. And it made me burst into tears once. It's just so amazing. I love it. So glad I have it.
08:53 PM on 05/21/09
Takk...Ros
No, I am not sorry
User Info.
Absolutely one of my favorite albums of all time. After losing 3 friends in a span of a year, this album resonates strongly with me.

It's more than experiencing the pain of death, but it's about experiencing the joy of love.
Yep.
I cried like a baby on the first listen. It's incredibly depressing at first, but then you realize there's so much more to these songs. Of course, they'll always be sad.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums