AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil Album Cover

Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

Reviewed by
This review was written merely out of fun (and boredom), and all explanations, analogies etc. are all MY point of view, the artists who created this album could have meant for the songs to have entirely different themes. And also, if this looks familiar, it is becuase I wrote this review a long time ago and posted it on another site.

A truly great metal album. With eerie and slightly frightening lyrics sung by M. Shadows, Hispanic influenced guitar riffs from guitarists Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance, and equally booming effects from bassist Johnny Christ and drummer The Rev, this album truly lives up to classic and current metal standards. Opening with "Beast and The Harlot", a tale of "Babylon", about a beast king and his mistress, a harlot. A city of inebriation, vigilantism, prostitution, gambling and the like, until one day…

This album begins with the end of the world. "I don't believe in fairy tales and no one wants to go to hell, we've made the wrong decision and it's easy to see, now if you wanna serve above or be a king below with us you’re welcome to the city where you future is set forever.” (From “Beast and the Harlot”.)

The 2nd song of the album, “Burn It Down”, a song about the shock of the apocalypse, everyone realizing all the time they’ve wasted, causing uprisings and destroying things…

Then the 3rd song, “Blinded in Chains”. It’s about being forced to fight in the Lucifer’s army.

Then #4, “Bat Country”, which is about the character in the story starting to lose his mind. “These eyes won’t stay the same, after I flip today.” “Don’t be surprised when things aren’t what they seem.” “Sometimes I don’t know why we’d rather live than die, we look up towards the sky.” (All excerpts from “Bat Country”.)

In song #5, “Trashed and Scattered”, the character is now adjusting to his new lifestyle, but has lost
faith in anything. He has given up on everything.

#6, “Seize The Day”, a melancholy, macabre, morbid love song. The character is talking about how he should have seized the day earlier. (The following quoted phrases are all from “Seize The Day”). “It’s empty and cold without you here.” “I stand here alone.” “No longer needed, so where should we go?” “Falling away from you, no chance to get back home.”

(In the CD booklet, the next page is a mural of a large stone room with skeletons in it and with flames outside the windows.)

Then song #7, Sidewinder. It’s about the character finally accepting his new world, reluctantly. He has become the epitome of all the things in the world; dark, vicious, unmerciful, and apathetic. (Following phrase from “Sidewinder”.) “Stay inside tonight, vanish from my sights - venomous control, you can’t make it right - my appetite has grown, lost your final fight - no love will be shown.”

Song #8, “The Wicked End”, a song about the character realizing what his surrounding have become, and things he had overlooked before. (Following phrases from “The Wicked End”.) “We’ve grown in numbers, six hundred sixty-six, was breaks, a sign of the end, eternally expelled, look to the sky above for knowledge, the stars align tonight, eclipse and heaven shall fall, now I know I’ve seen it all in my life of misery.” “Dust the apple off, savor each bite, and deep inside you know Adam was right, lust and power, indulgence, no fear, left with his sins, how does this end? We won’t be here tomorrow, hold on to me for one last time.”

Onto song #9, “Strength of The World”. This song is about the character’s love interest gone missing, and he goes after her to try and find her, and his family also dies. He then goes on a killing streak, avenging the dead and killing all who cross his path. It ends with “So far forever now alone, a greater punishment on me has been imposed, a killer falling from the light, I’ll miss my family, I’ll never be alright.”

Then song #10, “Betrayed”. This song is about how the character is realizing all the horrible things he’s done. In the CD booklet, there are certain lyrics that are in different fonts, so the italic is the main character‘s conscience, and the bold is the man he killed’s last words.. I.E., these lyrics are in italic: “A smoking gun in you hand, now don’t you realize what you’ve done? Put a bullet in his back, your hero since you were so young. How could you kill the man who brought salvation through all you pain? He must mean everything to dies in this shameful way.” , and these lyrics are in bold: “I started here and helped you get along, just did it for love, and people healed through us, don’t live your life in vain, don’t take it out on me, you’re cracked, so just remember, I’m not your enemy, I don’t deserve to fall this way, by a man who felt betrayed.”

And then the last song, M.I.A. It is about the final judgement day. One of the first lines is “Praying that the sun would never rise.” It’s when he stops and thinks about all the people he’s killed, quote “I shot a mother right in front of her son”. And the last haunting line of the song and entire album is “Walk the city lonely, memories that haunt are passing by, a murderer walks your street tonight, forgive me for my crimes, don’t forget that I was so young, fought so scared in the name of God and country.”
This review is a user submitted review from 77...oi!. You can see all of 77...oi!'s submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:40 AM on 03/23/06
ThisIsAName
User Info.
Whats with the vocals only getting a 5?? I think the vocals are freakin sweeeeet!!
05:46 PM on 08/22/07
deftonesrock44
User Info.
an excellent story, music kicks ass! love it... 5/5 stars mo-fo's.
10:20 PM on 07/13/08
bummm
Slave 2 tha booty
User Info.
I love this album, especially when my brother would blast in the car.
03:17 PM on 10/14/11
andy7fold
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just digging around old reviews, but you do know that 1. This is an amazing album and 2. Betrayed was written about the death of Dimebag Darrell. Cute little story though.
05:12 AM on 12/19/13
magisterh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One of the best albums I ever bought!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT