Username
Password

12:39 PM on 05/09/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
I think in decimals and dollars.
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Now that the release candidate is out there for download, who thinks this operating system will out perform your expectations?

I for one downloaded it this morning, installed it and haven't been able to get off of it. It runs a lot faster and smoother than vista did as well.

Discuss.
12:47 PM on 05/09/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm a moron with computers, but I don't really dig Vista all that much. Is there a way to install Windows 7 as your primary OS, and ditch Vista? I've never done any of that before, I don't really know how to "try it out" when it's a complete operating system.
Well, as for right now it's not the greatest idea to just ditch Vista. Since Windows 7 is only in the release candidate stage it still has a chance to be fixed and upgraded before it is shipped to the consumer. The easiest way to do this is to partition a small part of your hard drive so you can install Windows 7 without losing your Vista operating system. If you would like I can tell you the easiest way to go about doing this.
12:56 PM on 05/09/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Yeah, if you would, that would be awesome. How small a part of the hard drive are we talking? When is W7 due for release?
Well my Gateway laptop I am using right now has a 160 GB hard drive in it, and I partitioned about 15 GB for Windows 7. So you don't need that much.

And various reports say W7 is due out by the end of summer. Acer and a few other companies have said they plan on shipping laptops and computers with windows 7 in the fall.
01:19 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Pretty cool this thread is still going, and that it is front page worthy!
01:58 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
I am curious to see what peoples reactions are a month from now. Windows Vista was supposed to be a great operating system, as early speculators said, but we clearly saw the OS ratings crash not even a week after its release.
01:58 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Don't back IE. Just understand its position in marketshare and my need to act accordingly.

I'm a huge Firefox fan.
I like that! Do you use just Firefox, or do you use other Mozilla software as well?
02:06 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Well I for one use Lightning and Thunderbird/Seamonkey.

Lightning is a decent calender with scheduling and task managing software built in, comes in handy with college classes.

And Thunderbird is a basic e-mail program and Seamonkey has a web browser, HTML editor, newsgroups section and mail too built into it.
Don't remember Vista getting nearly the same reaction 7 has.
Vista didn't get a mainstream great reaction like 7 has, but if you look hard enough you can find people that were really looking forward to the release of the OS. I thought the OS has always been great, I haven't had a difficult time with bugs or software that hasn't worked right, or anything of that nature.

Installing Windows 7 HP 64-bit on my new desktop right now. Excited to get the OS running!
02:07 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
So if this installed onto say a laptop with Vista already installed, will it just replace the OS and keep whatever is saved on there?
If you did the upgrade option, your documents and programs and whatnot will be saved. If you did a clean install, then you more than likely lost everything.

Which option did you use?
02:09 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
I use google apps for all of that.
To each their own...

I've never actually used any type of google apps, probably due to laziness. I've always been a Mozilla guy, so I guess I find it easier to use software that I am used to.
02:11 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Big fan of google apps. I like living in the cloud whenever I can.
I might have to slowly migrate myself over to using Google apps.
02:13 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
I haven't done anything yet, I'm just asking about what would happen. I actually couldn't do it anyway, since my Vista-equipped laptop's hard drive crashed this past weekend. I might install it when I get the hard drive replaced though.
Are you getting the hdd replaced?
02:18 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Since you are putting a new hdd in, I would say it would be easiest do just do a clean install of Windows 7. Since I am guessing you won't have any documents or anything to recover from the dead vista drive?
02:23 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Did Vista have the rotating wallpaper thing built in? Cause I only recently discovered it on 7, and love it.
Vista didn't have that option Jason.
04:15 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
The only thing of importance would be my music, which is replaceable so that's not a big deal.
There you go buddy, a clean install of Windows 7 is extremely easy, since its a bootable disc you will use.
06:54 PM on 10/23/09 
User Info.
redsoxguy676
Emmaus, PA 610
Male - 25 Years Old
Just read an interesting article stating that as of this past Monday, Microsoft has put together a group of people to start creating Windows 8.

I've been using Windows 7 since the date the first beta became available, and I must say that it has the least amount of bugs that I've seen in any of their operating systems so far, and I've used computers that have had Windows 3.1 all the way up to Vista.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets