AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Adrastos - I Don't Wanna Go Home, I Wanna Go... Album Cover

Adrastos - I Don't Wanna Go Home, I Wanna Go...

Reviewed by
Adrastos - I Don't Wanna Go Home, I Wanna Go To Reno EP
January 31st, 2006
Unsigned

Adrastos is an unsigned 4-piece band formed at Wheaton College in Massachusetts. With their name coming from the Greek for "not inclined to run away," the band will do as their name implies. Their music will get in your face, knock you around a bit, and then ask you if you’re ready for more. They've also got the knack for the softer, charm-driven songs, such as "Don't Hold Your Breath," the second song on their EP. But don’t worry, no matter what, Adrastos has some surprises up their sleeves on their debut EP, I Don’t Wanna Go Home, I Wanna Go To Reno.

“My words they flow like weightless tapestry. Your heart is full--bone-breaking apathy. My words you send right out to foamy sea. Now I'm screaming to try and bring them back to me,” Adrastos’ vocalist Greg Hawley muses during a lull in the first song of their EP. Hawley seems to strive to emulate Adam Lazzara in parts of “Coming Back.” This mostly-aggressive song features tight instrumentation as Adrastos jams through it. The guitar riffs are rudely explosive; an art sometimes lost in the musical shuffle. The band went into the studio with John Naclerio, who has produced for A Day At the Fair, The Audition, and Steel Train, along with doing engineering for My Chemical Romance. Naclerio put together an extremely solid 3-song EP that lets us all know the sky is the limit for Adrastos.

"Don't Hold Your Breath" spends about half of the song somewhere between a hazy existence and a Chris Martin b-side, but that's not a bad thing despite my closely held animosity for Coldplay. It's a very calm yet lyrically spirited song until you get about a minute and forty-five seconds in, when the mood joins the lyrics. Remember what I said about surprises? The bouncy flavor exhibited on "They Don't Mean A Thing To Me," reminds me a bit of pop-punk upstarts Panic! At the Disco at times because of the vocals, done this time around by guitarist Brian Sonenstein. They're soft yet energetic, meaning the band has to fight to keep from breaking out during the slow spots. This last song seems like it could use a little something extra musically, but on a full-length, this would have a perfect role as the punchy yet not too heavy transition ballad.

Here’s the part where I convince everyone reading this to go check out Adrastos. I Don’t Wanna Go Home, I Wanna Go To Reno is a very good 3-song EP from this great up-and-coming band. They have something to offer everyone, running the gamut from aggressive, fiery tracks to intimate, indie-pop songs. This band is excellent at what they do, and deserves a listen from everyone at least once. Be sure to catch them touring the East Coast in the summer of 2006, and working the Northeast in the meantime.

The EP is available online to stream on Purevolume and Myspace and will be printed and released in late January or early February 2006.
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
02:06 PM on 01/01/06
njkid54
User Info.
i've been listening to their songs on purevolume a lot lately too. very talented band.
02:15 PM on 01/01/06
Ryan Imhof
Registered Member
User Info.
That was an amazing review. Can't wait to read more from you.
04:24 PM on 01/01/06
shane hennessey
www.itakebandphotos.com
User Info.
amazing review tony!
04:07 PM on 01/28/06
Ruggiero2oo8
don't worry, be happy
User Info.
really good review.
i think that they have a lot of talent and will get pretty big

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE