My man!
10:53 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
i'm going to make a bold statement here, that i think i mostly stand by.
christianity should be about everything but judging someone. if i'm wrong show me the part of the bible where jesus said it's ok (for a human) to judge.
06:02 AM on 07/13/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-the-ballpark/
06:16 AM on 07/14/12 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
// I M P O S S I B L E S O U L //
England
Male - 22 Years Old
Those that read the general thread know what last week was like for me as I was helping my friends through a rough time. I wanted to take this opportunity to address how this experience related to my feelings on religion.

I took my friend's 7 year old daughter to see a movie this weekend while they grieved through a miscarriage. The 7 year old has always been precocious, but I think this experience really made her ask questions she is too young to have to ask.

My friends are very religious, so they explained the fact that her unborn sibling had died in the context of religion. This comforted her and enabled her to be strong at a time when her parent's needed her to be.

Call it a fairy tail, be cynical, do whatever. At the end of the day, the idea of a greater purpose, a larger message, and a reason gave this little girl strength. I realize that religious idolatry can have evil effects, and I take issue with a lot of them. But fairy tales can direct those who live in misdirection and enable them to do good. Don't forget that.
So you think it's a good idea to poison a child's mind with lies? How about teaching her to find strength within herself?

My grandma died when I was very young and I didn't need religion to get through it. The same applies to millions of people around the world. Your point is invalid.
08:48 PM on 07/14/12 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 26 Years Old
So you think it's a good idea to poison a child's mind with lies? How about teaching her to find strength within herself?

My grandma died when I was very young and I didn't need religion to get through it. The same applies to millions of people around the world. Your point is invalid.

Please explain to me how religion is necessarily a "lie."

Please explain to me how teaching someone to be a neoliberal subject is the best idea.

Please explain to me how your experience invalidates an argument that is, however general, still more culturally specific than your own, which is like bullshit arrogant posturing and some weak-ass anti-religious crap
12:42 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
birdman
Don't hold your breath
Atlanta, Ga
Male

Please explain to me how teaching someone to be a neoliberal subject is the best idea.

Please explain to me how your experience invalidates an argument that is, however general, still more culturally specific than your own, which is like bullshit arrogant posturing and some weak-ass anti-religious crap

I'm guessing he can't explain any of this.

I am also guessing that his grandmother's death resulted in a traditional burial/funeral as opposed to disposing of her as though she was simply biological waste. Making HIS argument invalid.

I try not to validate the rantings of a child who's cultural system is limited to Green Day's latest album by responding. So thank you for your response.
03:11 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
England
Male - 22 Years Old

It's quite simple really, they have no evidence that God actually exists and yet they're gonna tell their daughter that he most definitely does and bring her up thinking in that way. Personally, I don't think that's right. No idea why you're trying to turn what I said into some massive complicated issue, it makes you come off as incredibly pretentious.
I'm guessing he can't explain any of this.

I am also guessing that his grandmother's death resulted in a traditional burial/funeral as opposed to disposing of her as though she was simply biological waste. Making HIS argument invalid.

I try not to validate the rantings of a child who's cultural system is limited to Green Day's latest album by responding. So thank you for your response.
Haha this is an interesting response because I never insulted you in my reply, and yet you feel the need to attempt to belittle me by making fun of my liking of Green Day (Who by the way I barely listen to these days- unfortunately I'm stuck with the username that I made 2 years ago). I obviously hit a nerve.
04:56 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
I obviously hit a nerve.

Yes, because you're behaving like an asshole, not because you stumbled onto some grand point.
04:57 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
New Atheism = imperialism and colonialism

What's this & Liberation Theory?
05:04 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
England
Male - 22 Years Old
Yes, because you're behaving like an asshole, not because you stumbled onto some grand point.
Highlight the parts in my original post where I act like an asshole.
05:06 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
So you think it's a good idea to poison a child's mind with lies? How about teaching her to find strength within herself.

This ^^ is you being an asshole.
05:08 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
England
Male - 22 Years Old
This ^^ is you being an asshole.
Okay, perhaps I could have put it more diplomatically. But the way you go on, you'd think I was Hitler
05:10 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Okay, perhaps I could have put it more diplomatically. But the way you go on, you'd think I was Hitler

I said you were an asshole who thinks he's way smarter than he really is. Not quite Hitler.
05:22 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
England
Male - 22 Years Old
I said you were an asshole who thinks he's way smarter than he really is. Not quite Hitler.
Irony much? You could point me in the direction of articles that would help to make me as infinitely knowledgeable as you, but instead you choose to constantly shoot me down and refer to me as an "asshole" when I haven't even done anything that bad. You really are insufferable.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos