Password

Album Review
Closure in Moscow - First Temple Album Cover

Closure in Moscow - First Temple

Reviewed by
Closure In MoscowFirst Temple
Release Date: May 5, 2009
Record Label: Equal Vision
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Everyone has a type. Whether it’s a type of food (Chinese) or a type of the opposite sex (brunette), everyone has specific criteria. Equal Vision has a specific type of band. You know, the kind that incorporates melody and aggression into somewhat technical music. Damiera, Circa Survive, early Coheed and Cambria, and the list continues with Closure In Moscow.

The Australian quintet is crisp; releasing melody at a quick pace. The band rarely takes their foot off the gas pedal, as opening tracks “Kissing Cousins” and “Reindeer Age” feature riffing that needles in and out, knitting tightly with Chris De Cinque’s high tenor. In fact, it’s fairly obvious that De Cinque patterns his vocals similar to Cedric Bixler of The Mars Volta. Not that it’s a bad thing, as his voice soars throughout each track.

“Sweet#hart” cuts like a buzzsaw, as De Cinque’s vocals mesh nicely with the needling riffs that come from guitarists Mansur Zennelli and Michael Barrett. “Vanguard” brings the intensity throughout, as De Cinque’s vocals roar right through while Zennelli and Barrett dictate the pace. But Closure In Moscow isn’t all about fast and heavy, as First Temple gets a tempo change in the forum of “I’m A Ghost Of Twilight.” The deep and dark undertone sets the vibe, while the booming chorus ignites the track.

The chilling “Permafrost” leads nicely into energetic “Deluge,” which brings the album back to its break-neck pace. “Had To Put It In The Soil” finishes First Temple with some more jazzy riffs in a mid-tempo atmosphere, leaving the listener with the appetite to hit repeat.

First Temple is one of the best debut albums of 2009 and a must-own. Closure In Moscow contains just the right amount of aggression and melody to keep fans of different genres satisfied. The only downfall is how similar this sounds to other bands in the scene, as well as some songs blending together. But the Aussie quintet will be setting stages a blaze in the next few years, as First Temple is sure to become a scene staple in 2009.

Additional Information
1. Kissing Cousins
2. Reindeer Age
3. Sweet#hart
4. Vanguard
5. A Night at the Spleen
6. I’m A Ghost of Twilight
7. Permafrost
8. Deluge
9. Afterbirth
10. Arecibo Message
11. Couldn’t Let You Love Me
12. Had to Put It in the Soil
Produced by: Kris Crummett

Closure In Moscow is:
Mansur Zennelli – guitar/vocals
Beau McKee – drums
Chris De Cinque – vocals
Brad Kimber – bass
Michael Barrett – guitar

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 127
11:27 PM on 05/12/09
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
Good review and I feel pretty much the same. I agree about some of the tracks blending together, but there are some definite standouts. His voice does sound ridiculously like The Mars Volta singer, but I enjoy it nonetheless. It'll be interesting to see what kind of progression they make from this album onwards.
12:02 AM on 05/13/09
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
They pretty much sound like a pocket-sized Mars Volta. Is that a bad thing? Hell no. I love the Mars Volta. These guys have the potential to dominate my play list this year.
12:34 AM on 05/13/09
aquabayside
a light like no other
User Info.
I'm personally more of a fan of their ep, it had more of the feel i like from their song writing, seemed to vary more
01:24 AM on 05/13/09
Piss
Oh Noes!
User Info.
best debut album of 2008?
01:39 AM on 05/13/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I wasn't sure if I'd like this band, but I do. Quite a bit actually. Normally not my type of sound either.

Good review there Drewsef.
02:25 AM on 05/13/09
Andy Antar
Cosmogrammatic
User Info.
Hahahaha I'm still waiting for my damn week-old review to be approved. The priviledge of being staff, huh?

EDIT: Also:

Quote:
First Temple is one of the best debut albums of 2008

Should be 2009.
03:11 AM on 05/13/09
Fycus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This review seems rushed, much like the album. I actually think the album deserves a higher score, but to each his own. Hopefully as they mature their sound will follow suit.
04:33 AM on 05/13/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
They pretty much sound like a pocket-sized Mars Volta. Is that a bad thing? Hell no. I love the Mars Volta. These guys have the potential to dominate my play list this year.
I should like this album if you put it that way.
06:18 AM on 05/13/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I would rate musicianship much higher, along with scores for creativity and production. I really dig this record and hope this band goes on to do big things.
07:13 AM on 05/13/09
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
The review seems to praise this album a lot more than a 77%. I feel completely different about the last paragraph of the review than Drew. After repeated listens the songs definitely take a life of their own and sound very distinct. Also, although there are similarities between the vocals and The Mars Volta, I don't see how points were taken off for sounding like other bands in the scene, I think Closure is in a league of their own. Name a band that has a song that sounds like "A Night At The Spleen". Regardless, good review man, and I agree that these guys are going places.
07:23 AM on 05/13/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
The review seems to praise this album a lot more than a 77%. I feel completely different about the last paragraph of the review than Drew. After repeated listens the songs definitely take a life of their own and sound very distinct. Also, although there are similarities between the vocals and The Mars Volta, I don't see how points were taken off for sounding like other bands in the scene, I think Closure is in a league of their own. Name a band that has a song that sounds like "A Night At The Spleen". Regardless, good review man, and I agree that these guys are going places.
I agree on "Night at the Spleen" - that song is super unique. "Ghost of Twilight" is pretty different as well from something their peers would make.
07:33 AM on 05/13/09
Brett9
a creative username?
User Info.
I really love this album. The musicianship is incredible, while the lyrics are a little weak, imo. I definitely hear the Mars Volta references, but there's definitely a lot of Circa Survive in here too (anyone else hear it particularly in Ghost of Twilight where he says "It's also stabbing me to sleep, Needles long into the night"??) Anyway, I really love this album - great review, Drew...short and sweet.
07:34 AM on 05/13/09
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
I agree on "Night at the Spleen" - that song is super unique. "Ghost of Twilight" is pretty different as well from something their peers would make.
I just honestly don't see many similarities in any of the songs to other bands. "Arecibo Message" is unlike anything I've ever heard, the opening vocal patterns are similar to eastern melodies (India, etc.). Kissing Cousins and Reindeer Age could arguably sound similar to other bands, but Closure just does it so much better that it doesn't even matter, haha.
07:37 AM on 05/13/09
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
It lacks the punch that the EP had, but it's good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos